English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 17 September 2009, 01:35   #21
Xenon

I'll wait for next version to see if there is a default configuration for Amigas like mine. I've tried to intall the "classic pack" but nothing has changed. But it was slow in performance... contact list, window rendering... etc... I don't know why :S

Regards,

Last edited by Xenon; 17 September 2009 at 19:28.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 17 September 2009, 11:59   #22
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
Hey Xenon, I have finished making a full OS3 compatible theme for SabreMSN and bundled it together with the latest release. With any luck, this will be all you need (as long as you still have the MUI libraries installed). Once you extract the archive, you'll see a few extra files and drawers which need to be copied to the right location for everything to work properly. Instructions are provided in the readme file. I run this same configuration on my A1200 030/50/FPU/32MB system, so it should run just as well, or even better on your own Amiga, provided you have your Workbench set in 16 colours. If you use more, expect everything to redraw much slower. Nudging works fine provided the window isn't maximized full screen, then it's a bit slow. To help speed up your Workbench experience, you should be running FBlit and BlazeWCP in your Startup-Sequence. For your Workbench to look half decent, you also need to install VisualPrefs, FullPalette and Birdie. If everything is installed right, your Amiga 1200 MSN experience should look something like this:

You can download the full package here - http://home.exetel.com.au/amiga/SabreMSN.lha
Old 17 September 2009, 19:29   #23
Xenon

Hey Rebel!!! Thanks very much. I'll test it just now... ^-^

PS: How do you put this bar into AMIGAOS? :P
Old 17 September 2009, 23:37   #24
Xenon

I've tried to install and execute, I've seen that the executable is different that 0.58 which can be downloaded at http://wookiechat.amigarevolution.com/, good (I like the new icon, also). I've only installed the "classic pack" extras and they appear now in the "normal" 0.58 version and in the "new" 0.58

The only little issue I have is that I use standard PAL high-res resolution so I need to use "flicker" interlaced resolutions when I change the preferences or login.

Tomorrow I will install FBlit, Blazewcp, VisualPrefs, FullPalette and Birdie. I will ask you some questions if I have problems

Thanks very much!

PS: What music app do you use for the option "show what music are you playing"?

Last edited by Xenon; 17 September 2009 at 23:45.
Old 18 September 2009, 02:21   #25
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Hey Xenon,

The executable that I included with the pack was the latest one that was on the official site, but Jahc updates it with very minor changes sometimes. He's working towards a full version 1.0 release, but he's also focussing on trying to get the latest version of WookieChat up to scratch on 3.x. We're also trying to get the prefs window in SabreMSN redesigned so it'll fit on a High Res Workbench. You might be able to get the Login window open if you delete the SabreMSN logo or replace it with a smaller image, if not we'll have to ask Jahc about that too.

I'm glad you liked the icon

I'm going to go back and rework the original High Res theme now, but it could take a while. I originally used to use SabreMSN on a 1084 monitor too, which is what prompted me to make the High Res theme in the first place. I have an Indivision AGA in my A1200 now though, which is how I'm running in 1024x768.

Another patch I'd recommend you try out is MagicTV. If you set your screenmode in High Res Interlaced 16 colours, use the FullPalette prefs provided in the SabreMSN pack, and run MagicTV, your Workbench screen should run in a higher resolution with less flicker than before. You can execute MagicTV at any time to run or stop it and see the difference it makes. Unfortunately it only works in 16 colours or less, but that should be less of a problem with my palette.

The task bar/start menu/dock program I use is called Workbench 2000 (available on Aminet). It pretty much does what the one in Windows does, allows you to quickly switch between windows or minimise them (very handy on Workbench) without iconifying them, but it also captures iconified programs and appicons and displays them in the tray. You can block out apps that you don't want displayed on the bar, configure how many rows and columns of buttons you want, add quicklaunch icons and more. The start menu can have things added to it and also has a directory browser which is quicker than using Workbench or DOpus to browse the hard drive and launch stuff. It has a few different monitors you can add to the tray, but I just use the clock. It uses MUI, so if you point at something a little comic speech bubble opens telling you what it is, and everything is totally themable.

Honestly, I haven't configured any of my music players to display through SabreMSN yet. I'm hoping the AREXX port will work with EaglePlayer and AmiNetRadio, because I pretty much only use EaglePlayer for mods (on the A1200 at least), and AmiNetRadio for streaming online music and MP3 playlists.

Good luck installing everything. Welcome to the world of modular operating system building.
Old 18 September 2009, 19:03   #26
Xenon

Ok, I've just installed everything... but I am unable to put the workbench like you have... the only window with this great decoration and fonts is the sabremsn one.

Even my computer freezes if I copy the GUI.prefs you have put in the package into the Env-Archive/sys drawer.

Regards,

PS: Well, actually, I haven't installed birdie, I don't know how to use it :/

Last edited by Xenon; 18 September 2009 at 23:43.
Old 24 September 2009, 12:33   #27
Xenon

Well, I am just writing from a Lanparty using my A1200 and also running SabreMSN in PAL High Res. It works like a charm!!!

Regards,
Old 25 September 2009, 13:36   #28
Xenon

Ok, a misterious problem found.... why SabreMSN doesn't save the preferences?
Old 27 September 2009, 20:37   #29
amiga

@Rebel-CD32:

Can u share your VisualPrefs theme, which supposedly u use to get the XP look on windows ?
Old 28 September 2009, 05:46   #30
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Hey guys. I'm still in the process of tweaking and fixing a few of my VisualPrefs themes at the moment, but I fully intend on releasing them as soon as I'm finished. Keep an eye out on Aminet for them (you all check the Aminet Recent page every day already though, right?)

The main problem with finding and fixing bugs in SabreMSN and most Amiga applications these days is the serious lack of betatesters. Cammy and I are among an extremely small group of people still actively testing all this new Amiga software and giving feedback for the authors, trying to make these programs as feature-packed and stable as possible. But we're also very busy with our own projects, so if anyone else out there is interested in helping, please email the authors of the software and let them know you're using it and you need some or want to help.

By the way, when I finally upload my VisualPrefs themes, I'll include the Ubuntu Linux theme (pictured above), the blue Windows XP theme, an AmigaOS4 style theme, and one or two custom ones. Later on, I'd like to make more based on other OSs, such as OSX (although it won't look very much like the real thing) and RiscOS, which I've wanted to make my Workbench look like for years.
Old 29 September 2009, 16:17   #31
Xenon

Hey Rebel CD32, you don't have any problem saving the SabreMSN preferences? Everytime I start the application I must change them .

Regards,

PS: The classic theme you posted here it's oustanding. Now I am waiting for a Indivision AGA, so I will be able to use better this app I haven't tested the new 0.59 version yet.

Last edited by Xenon; 02 October 2009 at 21:48.
AdSense AdSense