English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 17 August 2009, 12:09   #1
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of
Antiriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sussex, UK
Age: 38
Posts: 1,141
XBox 360 inching towards homebrew

Good news: according to XBox-Scene a coder called Tmbinc has got linux to run on a 360 see www.free60.org and a quick'n'dirty port of Snes9x has already been done. UAE on the 360 is therefore a matter of time.

Bad news: Micro$oft's summer update for the 360 this year was specifically released to block this.
Antiriad is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 17 August 2009, 14:01   #2
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Derby
Age: 39
Posts: 1,898
This isn't homebrew, it's hacking it so it runs something else that you can do program something with.

PS3 has had this "functionality" since it was launch and no one bothers with it because it's a complete waste of time.

The PS3 (and therefore the 360) can barely run an OS nevermind soemthing meaniful on it afterwards.
Ian is offline  
Old 18 August 2009, 01:34   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine
alexh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford
Posts: 11,939
Microsoft have already released an update which has killed this homebrew path by changing the first stage bootloader. They reported that 90% of consoles which regularly go on Live have already been patched.

If you have gone on Live in the last week or so homebrew is no-longer an option on your 360.

Someone here has a brand new console bought this week and it has already been patched.

Ah, so long 360 homebrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The PS3 (and therefore the 360) can barely run an OS nevermind soemthing meaniful on it afterwards.
Using only one of the three PowerPC CPU's at 1/4 speed the 360 homebrew-ers implemented Snes9x (albeit without sound) at full speed. I'd say that your statement is untrue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
PS3 has had this "functionality" since it was launch and no one bothers with it because it's a complete waste of time.
PS3 linux sucks because it runs under the hypervisor. An emulator which runs linux which then runs an emulator. No-wonder it is slow!

Last edited by alexh; 18 August 2009 at 01:44.
alexh is offline  
Old 18 August 2009, 15:02   #4
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Derby
Age: 39
Posts: 1,898
Wow, who's willing to bet they used the PPC version already made for linux on PS3?

Anyway come back when they have actually managed to hack and run code natively using the 360s own OS, then there might be something worth talking about.
Ian is offline  
Old 18 August 2009, 16:04   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine
alexh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford
Posts: 11,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Wow, who's willing to bet they used the PPC version already made for linux on PS3?
Me, me, me! I bet you a SQUILLION pounds they didnt!!

One: Snes9x is written in C so is (somewhat) processor agnostic. There is no "PPC version"!

Two: They used the SNES9x GX branch which pre-dates the PS3 by ooo... say 3 years! Originally written for the GameCube and later ported to the Wii. (Those two have PPC too btw.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Anyway come back when they have actually managed to hack and run code natively using the 360s own OS, then there might be something worth talking about.
Erm... Duh! What you think they've just done? This is a full hack, 100% bypasses the Hypervisor, gives full access to all hardware enabling them to run native code at full speed! They can now patch 360's OS to death if they like.

Last edited by alexh; 18 August 2009 at 16:09.
alexh is offline  
Old 18 August 2009, 17:12   #6
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Derby
Age: 39
Posts: 1,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Me, me, me! I bet you a SQUILLION pounds they didnt!!

One: Snes9x is written in C so is (somewhat) processor agnostic. There is no "PPC version"!

Two: They used the SNES9x GX branch which pre-dates the PS3 by ooo... say 3 years! Originally written for the GameCube and later ported to the Wii. (Those two have PPC too btw.)
Yeah, whatever *cough* http://forums.qj.net/ps3-linux/79306...nes9x-ps3.html

Bearing in mind one core of the 360s CPU is virtually identical to the PPU in the PS3 I find it extremely unlikely they used any other version than the PS3 one, they aren't complete idiots after all.
Ian is offline  
Old 18 August 2009, 17:14   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine
alexh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford
Posts: 11,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
A port of the linux branch of Snes9x to the PS3. Your point being? The date? Take a look at a random post about the PPC gamecube GX branch dating back to well before the PS3 was released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Bearing in mind one core of the 360s CPU is virtually identical to the PPU in the PS3 I find it extremely unlikely they used any other version than the PS3 one, they aren't complete idiots after all.
Erm, but you seem to be. It's C-code! They didn't copy the PS3's PPC binary, they compiled a new one from the source code. Snes9x is designed to be platform independent and can be compiled for a wide range (all?) CPUs.

They didnt use the main line linux version because they are running without an OS. They compiled the Gamecube SNES9x GX branch with mods to the renderer for the 360 GPU to be a stand alone application, it even fecking says so on their webpage!

http://debugmo.de/?p=108
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBINC
I used Snes9x GX, i.e. the Wii/Gamecube-Port, as a base.

Last edited by alexh; 18 August 2009 at 17:28.
alexh is offline  
Old 18 August 2009, 20:26   #8
Visper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 73
@Ian, what do you think is so special about the PS3 "version"?

Download the snes9x sourcecode from the official homepage, unpack it, type ./configure then make, wait a couple of minutes and there you go: a executable for PS3.
Visper is offline  
Old 18 August 2009, 20:48   #9
keropi
.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ioannina/Greece
Posts: 5,038
yeah right...almost everyone updated their X360's by now so this "hack" is quite useless by now...
I have read about it before updating, but promises of a "soon-to-come" package for the end user and no real proof was enough for me to actually update and properly use live! ...
keropi is offline  
Old 18 August 2009, 21:42   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine
alexh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford
Posts: 11,939
Agreed, but still I was thinking of buying one now, consoles in the shops should be pre-update for a while.

Plus in the UK the prices of 360's is going up on Sept 1st to compensate for rise in price of the pound. They are currently 125 for an Arcade and they are going upto 159
alexh is offline  
Old 18 August 2009, 22:28   #11
keropi
.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ioannina/Greece
Posts: 5,038
but even if you do get one alexh, what will happen when the next game u pop in asks for an update? will u keep 2 x360's? and how big the developer base will be ? I doubt there wil be miracles done for a small number of owners...
keropi is offline  
Old 18 August 2009, 23:48   #12
Darkseid
Registered User
Darkseid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: England
Age: 47
Posts: 39
Send a message via ICQ to Darkseid
When the mods for the original Xbox came out people said the same now how many people have an unmodded (hardware or software) xbox these days. I cant remember what my original Xbox was like before XBMC

to Quote Field of dreams

"if you build they will come"
Darkseid is offline  
Old 19 August 2009, 00:28   #13
alexh
Thalion Webshrine
alexh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford
Posts: 11,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi View Post
but even if you do get one alexh, what will happen when the next game u pop in asks for an update?
In the future, they wont ask for updates. Why? Because now it is possible to patch games to remove such checks because you can run unsigned code.

I think Keropi is right, there is already homebrew route but it arrived too late, was difficult to use and too many people had updated beyond a vulnerable kernal. The result was two years of no work on XBOX 360 homebrew.

Just a shame that they released the information about how it was going to work before there was a working implementation and a way to patch the OS & games to remove updates.
alexh is offline  
Old 19 August 2009, 05:24   #14
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

T_hairy_bootson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 40
Posts: 2,028
Seems there is a new slim PS3 on the horizon and they have stripped the other operating system feature.
T_hairy_bootson is offline  
Old 19 August 2009, 11:45   #15
alexh
Thalion Webshrine
alexh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford
Posts: 11,939
Interesting...

$299 in the US or $414 in the UK... don't think I'll be getting one.
alexh is offline  
Old 19 August 2009, 11:54   #16
keropi
.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ioannina/Greece
Posts: 5,038
yes pretty lame of Sony... the new psp-go is 249$ in the US and in Europe it is... 249eur... yeah in Sony's eyes 1$=1eur ...
keropi is offline  
Old 19 August 2009, 11:55   #17
killergorilla
Lesser Talent
killergorilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UK
Age: 36
Posts: 7,924
Does the PSP not have a UMD drive?
killergorilla is offline  
Old 19 August 2009, 12:08   #18
keropi
.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ioannina/Greece
Posts: 5,038
the new one does not have a umd drive...
keropi is offline  
Old 19 August 2009, 12:10   #19
killergorilla
Lesser Talent
killergorilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UK
Age: 36
Posts: 7,924
Yeah I meant to put "PSP Go".

Strange decision!
killergorilla is offline  
Old 19 August 2009, 12:16   #20
keropi
.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ioannina/Greece
Posts: 5,038
not so strange... they wish to control piracy, thus only allow downloaded drm stuff on in...
keropi is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problems with an XBox 360 Controller? JohnnyWalker support.WinUAE 7 25 June 2011 19:46
Amiga emulator on the Xbox 360 kipper2k Amiga scene 44 17 December 2010 13:30
For Sale: Xbox 360 Games... PowerPie5000 MarketPlace 2 08 July 2010 15:35
XBox 360 emulation JonSick Retrogaming General Discussion 2 17 May 2010 14:17
Amiga SWOS on Xbox 360! wakeupbomb Nostalgia & memories 5 06 March 2009 06:19

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.21705 seconds with 11 queries