English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: What is the best ICOM Simulations classic?
Deja Vu 1 25.00%
Uninvited 1 25.00%
Shadowgate 2 50.00%
Deja Vu II 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25 July 2009, 08:03   #1
mattbarton.exe

Matt Chat on the Macventure (Amigaventure) adventure game series

Hi, guys, this week's episode of Matt Chat is now available, and yes, it does include footage from Amiga classics!

[ Show youtube player ]

Please enjoy! As always, let me know what you think. I value your feedback very highly.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 25 July 2009, 10:44   #2
TCD

Never really got into the Icom 'ventures', but I really liked the atmosphere that Uninvited provided. Have to say that at the time that I started playing adventures I already was spoilt by Maniac Mansion Still got myself to play quite a few text adventures. Maybe I should give them another try
Oh and a good review as always Matt
Old 25 July 2009, 11:40   #3
Sensi
Unregistered User

I have this terrible feeling of déja vu

Excellent video as always, I am considering registering on youtube to watch your videos before you post the links here

Games from this review are very new for me, I will take a look, they look good.

Prison cell, fire, escape .... how many adventure games start like that?
I have this terrible feeling of déja vu

Excellent video as always
Old 25 July 2009, 12:12   #4
Ironclaw
Banned

HA, played all 4 of them days ago!

Was just like 5 mins per game (was checking something out). Too bad the Amiga version of Shadowgate sucks for the Amiga compared to the nintendo version.

I love Shadowgate on Nintendo.

Last edited by Ironclaw; 25 July 2009 at 12:19.
Old 25 July 2009, 14:46   #5
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
I finished deja vu a few months ago, something I always wanted to do from childhood years great game and keeps you interested even after all these years. Now it's time for Uninvited

great vid as usual Matt ! I didn't know they first appeared on macs, that explains the awkward window system and clicking
Old 25 July 2009, 14:53   #6
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Ah, Deja Vu? I have a feeling of a Deja Vu indeed as I saw a joint Polish-Soviet movie from 1988 named like that some time ago

Never played any of these games unfortunately, will try Deja Vu in the future, you got me excited over it.
Old 25 July 2009, 19:51   #7
mattbarton.exe

Thanks, guys, as always for your great comments. Reading these makes it worth the effort.

I've played and beat them all. Just couldn't resist going back to them when I finally got access to the internet back in the 90s and finally had the hints I needed to finish these adventures. I can't stand leaving stuff unfinished. As I say in the video, I think these games don't get the attention they deserve. There's a bit about them here:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3128524

I ran out of time before I could show a newer ICOM Simulations game called Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective, which has lots of FMV and looks pretty neat. I might have to explore it further and use it somehow in a future episode, perhaps if I ever try to cover The 7th Guest. It'd be neat to do another episode on the Myst series, since I was just starting out when I did that one--could do it better justice now, I think. I even have it working on my 3DO console! Now, to snag a CD-i...C'mon, Craig's List!

In my opinion, the best one to start off with is Shadowgate, followed by Uninvited, and then Deja Vu I and II. Unless, of course, you're a big fan of film noire and detective movies, then start of course with DV.

The NES version is very nice, but I'm not sure if you can get it working with a mouse (be interested to know if anyone has tried this). I sadly wasn't able to get it working in Apple II gs emulation, so not sure what that platform had to offer. Grrr...
Old 25 July 2009, 20:16   #8
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbarton.exe View Post

The NES version is very nice, but I'm not sure if you can get it working with a mouse (be interested to know if anyone has tried this). I sadly wasn't able to get it working in Apple II gs emulation, so not sure what that platform had to offer. Grrr...
I've tried the NES Icom games with Nestopia/mouse control, this isn't really working. Guess you need a special mouse driver. Gens32 e.g. offers custom mouse drivers for games like Cannon Fodder or Dune.
AdSense AdSense