English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 July 2009, 15:00   #1
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Football geeks

I love playing SWOS, and I'd like to have current teams leading up to the next world cup.

I am aware of the editor, but as I have SFA knowledge of current football stats, team lineups, etc. I'd have no idea what to put in there.

Any help would be appriciated. It'd be a big task for one person to collect all the current team lineups, etc. And much of the player stats would have to be arbitrary. But several people with good knowledge of their local leagues would make the task easier, and the player stats more accurate.

Also I notice a few footy-management sim enthusiasts here, as there were a few good ones for Amiga. So I guess the info could be used across games.

on a side note, anyone know the Australian 96/97 team and which clubs they played for?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 23 July 2009, 15:19   #2
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

I don't know if you are aware but there is a 2008/09 update available - I'm pretty sure I've got it at home and that will instantly make updating the teams and players a lot quicker. Don't have a link to hand though but I'm sure someone knows it.

I can probably give you a hand if you want to update the English leagues (particularly the lower divisions). Might try and update Championship Manager at the same time...
Old 23 July 2009, 15:50   #3
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Maybe take a look here:

http://synchronated.110mb.com/updates.html
Old 23 July 2009, 17:02   #4
kriz

Ahh how cool
Old 23 July 2009, 19:58   #5
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
on a side note, anyone know the Australian 96/97 team and which clubs they played for?
Mark Bosnich - Aston Villa
Zeljko Kalac - Sydney Utd (AUS)

Tony Vidmar - Breda
Paul Okon - Lazio
Ned Zelic - Auxerre
Andy Bernal - Reading
Steve Horvat - Carlton (AUS)
Milan Ivanovic - Adelaide City (AUS)

Steve Corica - Wolverhampton
Ernie Tapai - Collingwood (AUS)
Robby Slater - Southampton
Alex Tobin - Adelaide City (AUS)

Graeme Arnold - Breda
Aurelio Vidmar- Tenerife (Sion)
Frank Farina - Brisbane Strikers (AUS)
George Kulcsar - Royal Antwerp

Database: http://database.swos.info/
Forum: http://www.sensiblesoccer.info/forum/index.php
Old 24 July 2009, 01:00   #6
Anakirob
Unregistered User

http://synchronated.110mb.com/updates.html - that's what I was looking for. Although I see that the Australian leagues are not among the leagues which have been updated. Can anyone recommend a good (non-computer related) football site which might help? I guess I might have to start watching some of the local matches on the community network to get this info.

I just installed the update, noticed quite a few of the players (lots more than in previous updates) don't have a surnames.

Quote:
I can probably give you a hand if you want to update the English leagues (particularly the lower divisions). Might try and update Championship Manager at the same time...
That sounds perfect, basing stats on expert knowledge of local leagues would be much better than making it up. How do the teams in the SWOS update compare with your knowledge of the current fixtures?

And yeah, I noticed a couple of Championship Manager fan threads here already, and I guess that the information could be transposed across games. Which is why I called the thread 'football...' instead of 'swos...'.

A quick google turned up: http://forums.championshipmanager.co.uk/ . Although it seems to be more about recent PC/MAC versions, I might try asking there, and over at the SWOS forum also. But I don't see any reason why the information couldn't be transposed across many management games.

finally thanks Sensi for the list. As you can see only six of the sixteen-man squad are playing in the Aussie league, which made selecting that national team a bit of a pain, especially if one does not know where to find the star players.
Old 24 July 2009, 01:36   #7
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
How do the teams in the SWOS update compare with your knowledge of the current fixtures?
I've just had a brief look at the June update (I didn't even realise there was such a recent one before today) - none of the teams promoted and relegated have been placed in their new divisions for starters, and looking at the squad for my team Norwich City, some of it is actually wrong even for last month. Looking at some of the other squads they look mostly accurate but I'm sure the odd error has crept in too.

Given that it's currently the close season a lot of transfers have taken place but most of the squads will be fairly similar (though I suspect there will be loads of transfer activity between now and the end of August) - the main problem is the 16-man squad limitation; deciding who to leave out can be tricky.
Old 24 July 2009, 02:13   #8
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
the main problem is the 16-man squad limitation; deciding who to leave out can be tricky.
I must admit I have not had a look at the SWOS editor, so do not not exactly what can be changed. Is it not possible to set statistics for the B team as well?
Old 24 July 2009, 08:04   #9
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
I must admit I have not had a look at the SWOS editor, so do not not exactly what can be changed. Is it not possible to set statistics for the B team as well?
No no, B-teams are randomly generated in career mode (iirc).

Check the sensiblesoccer.de forum, its full of SWOS maniacs and some threads/links might be useful

I tried some SWOS Amiga emulators and imo its much easier to edit teams in PC editor. And whats fine, you can easily transfer pc files to Amiga:
http://www.purplesensi.co.uk/sensibl.../amigaswos.php

Australian squad - if you dont find those players in austrailan league, its because some SWOS leagues (in Africa, Australia, average european leagues) were not up to date at that time.
AdSense AdSense