English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 July 2009, 22:02   #21
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
What an amazing, AMAZING collection! I always wanted a NeXTstation but I wouldn't know what to do with it! hehe
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 July 2009, 05:33   #22
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firthy2002 View Post
Wow it must have taken you ages to come up with such a collection!
Surprisingly not. Up to 2004 I had only the A500 and CoCo 3 - no PC or anything else (my first computer was a CoCo 2, but that's long lost). I then went Amiga crazy and started collecting lots of Amiga stuff. Then I expanded to Atari. (I always wanted an 800XL - it was "the Amiga of the early 80's")

In 2008, I went to a computer museum and really liked the Kaypro there. I searched Craigslist for Kaypros and eventually found a collector selling one with his motherlode of old computers. I nearly cleaned him out. The rest of my stuff came this year from people who had run out of space and were ready to trash the computers. I saved quite a few from certain death. The computers were cheap or free, but in poor shape. I fixed them up nicely and they live again. (... to one day seek vengeance and DESTROY THE UNIVERSE! ....but.. now I've said too much... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by illy5603 View Post
I always wanted a NeXTstation but I wouldn't know what to do with it! hehe
Yeah, well now that the NeXTstation drive is dead, I don't know what to do with it either. I had planned on getting it on the internet (just because the WWW was invented on a NeXT), but now I'm screwed. The NeXTstation, like my SGI Indy, has no convenient method for installing the damn OS. You basically have to already have the OS on the harddrive. I think you can get an external SCSI CD-ROM, but I don't think you can boot from it to install. What the hell were the designers thinking? (probably planned that way so the company can sell you that service... and the drives)

Coming up... part 6: "All The Rest"

Last edited by mr_a500; 21 July 2009 at 05:52.
Old 21 July 2009, 06:34   #23
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

I'm having problems putting my G3 back together for the next shot, so meanwhile here's a closeup of my A500:

(the CF is not connected in this shot, so please no questions about how it works without being plugged in )
Old 21 July 2009, 08:41   #24
Photon

Hm, what IDE card is that?
Old 21 July 2009, 09:19   #25
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

looks like an accelerator with IDE on board. possibly the viper 520 CD?
Old 21 July 2009, 10:00   #26
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500 View Post
Here is part 4 (of 6) - "Amigazone" : A500 with Viper 520 (33Mhz 020/68882, 8Mb fast RAM, 3.0 ROMs), ...
you guys should get some glasses

(or read the posts properly before posting)
Old 23 July 2009, 05:08   #27
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Here is part 6: "All the rest":

The black IBM server is the first PC I ever bought in my life (though I previously had a few free ones). I bought it two weeks ago and it cost me $30. I felt bad about paying for a PC, but it has SCSI and is compatible with BeOS (BeOS can be seen on the monitor). It also matches my IBM AT keyboard and 20" IBM monitor (which was free) - so I have some "purity" there (pre-Lenovo too). Let me tell you, if you haven't tried a 1984 clicky IBM AT keyboard, you haven't really lived. It kicks ass! I also own two IBM Model M keyboards - 1986 and 1991 - but they're not as good.

Under the monitor is an SGI Indy with matching SGI keyboard. SGI mouse is on the desk. My SGI Indycam was sitting on the monitor, but I just noticed now that it fell off (and I don't feel like picking it up and taking another picture). I've got two Indycams. It all cost me $20.

Under that is a PowerMac G3 ($20). It did have OSX on it, but a damn Quicktime update killed it. I also have 9.2.2 on it and it was working nicely until two days ago when that got screwed up too. I'm really starting to hate Macs.

At the bottom is an A2000 - the ugliest Amiga ever made. It's actually an A2000HD so it has the SCSI card. It also has 1Mb chip and 2Mb fast. I upgraded it to 3.1. It's interesting that 3.1 works fine on a 68000. Lots of other software crashes though because programmers must assume that if you have 3.1, you've at least got an 020.

Well, that's it. I've got two more A500s, another 800XL and an Apple IIc with French keyboard, but that's all of it.
Old 23 July 2009, 05:12   #28
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

...and some better shots of Amigas and 8-bits:

You couldn't see the drives in the other shot - see the Commodore 1571 and two Atari 1050s:
Old 23 July 2009, 11:08   #29
TCD

First of all : Very nice collection you got there mr_a500
Oh and I envy your 'pimped' A500 man
Old 23 July 2009, 13:34   #30
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Oh, I forgot... I also have a brown C64, but it's in the closet. (who needs a C64 when you've got a C128?)

Under the Commodore desk is a brown (and yellow.. how the hell does a brown case yellow??) 1541 drive, which I connect to the A500 to copy programs to and from the C128 - using the GO64 serial box. I also have a non-working beige 1541 II in the closet, and an Atari 1020 printer, Atari 410 cassette, Commodore 1250 printer, extra A3000 keyboard... but that's it for hardware. (...I think...)

For most computers, I have the original boxes and manuals. I've got a huge pile of programming manuals, Amiga magazines, Byte magazines and about 1400 DD floppies. I'm sure I've got more stuff, but I'm too scared to search my closet. I don't want to get killed in an avalanche.
Old 24 July 2009, 19:09   #31
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Anybody want to see the inside of a 1993 SGI Indy? Probably not, but I had to open it anyway to take out the drive so I took a picture. I removed the massive heatsink so you can see the MIPS R4000 processor.

I need to edit the password file on the Indy drive. I connected it to the PC and tried to use Ubuntu 9.04 with XFS programs to read it. It shows up on the menu list of "Places", but when I try to mount it, it says "Not yet implemented". Gparted doesn't mount it either. Anybody know an easy way to mount it? (not involving obscure and tedious methods... like most Linux crap)

Anybody want to see the inside of a NeXTstation?
Old 25 July 2009, 20:10   #32
andy
Back.

The answer from myself to a question like that will always be yes! Go right ahead, and make me smile some more! I'm a member of a few forums and this has been the thread that I've most enjoyed this week. It's brilliant seeing old gear again and getting the opportunity to see hardware that though familiar with it, I was never fortunate enough to be able to see anything away from simple case or publicity shots on the printed page or video.

As for the tech question, I believe I know someone that has a nice collection of SGI hardware, so I will try to get in touch with him and see if he has any advice. It could take a few days but I'll pop back if I have an update and see if you still need any help with accessing the drive.
Old 26 July 2009, 11:04   #33
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Thanks Andy and thanks for trying to help with the Indy. I found out I need to use a Linux kernel with SGI disklabel support compiled in (typical hassle with things in Linux not working as I expect them to). I'm tired of screwing around with it, so I'll just keep it as it is.

Anyway, here's the inside of the NeXTstation:

The CPU - 25Mhz 68040 is the chip with the heatsink near the bottom (beside the NeXT ROM and floppy). I think the big impressive chip in the middle handles the display. Above that is the DSP.

The NeXTstation is the only "pizza box" computer I've seen that actually looks like a pizza box... except from a borg ship. (Yes, the borg deliver pizza. It's great because you don't have to tip them. The only downside is that you usually end up getting assimilated and having your limbs replaced with cyborg implants.)

And here's a shot of the Kaypro II in action... glow, green-screen, glow!

Last edited by mr_a500; 23 November 2009 at 18:18. Reason: Kaypro image went missing - for the 4th frigging time! WTF?
Old 04 October 2009, 22:05   #34
cv643d

Whats the difference between 84 AT IBM keyboard and Model-M 86?

I thought it was the same clicky mechanism in both?
Old 04 October 2009, 22:28   #35
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

They're both buckling spring, but the Model M uses membrane-sheet switches, while the earlier IBM keyboards (AT,XT) have capacitive contact switches. They're "clickier".

I think it feels more precise.
Old 19 July 2010, 07:11   #36
blakespot

Nice setups!!

Seeing this, I had to post pics of my "Byte Cellar" (basement computer room). :-)

http://bytecellar.com/qtvr.html

http://www.bytecellar.com/photo_pano.html

Pic taken a couple years ago -- not including my recent A1000 addition and a few other items.

( http://www.flickr.com/photos/blakesp...7621596272210/ )

blakespot

Old 19 July 2010, 08:05   #37
Hewitson

Quote:
I need to edit the password file on the Indy drive. I connected it to the PC and tried to use Ubuntu 9.04 with XFS programs to read it. It shows up on the menu list of "Places", but when I try to mount it, it says "Not yet implemented". Gparted doesn't mount it either. Anybody know an easy way to mount it? (not involving obscure and tedious methods... like most Linux crap)
What's wrong with mounting the partition normally?

Code:
mount <device> <mountpoint>
Doesn't get any easier than that.
Old 20 July 2010, 18:33   #38
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

Send a message via MSN to ck1200 Send a message via Yahoo to ck1200
Superb collection there!!
Old 21 July 2010, 03:12   #39
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakespot View Post
Nice setups!!

Seeing this, I had to post pics of my "Byte Cellar" (basement computer room). :-)

http://bytecellar.com/qtvr.html

http://www.bytecellar.com/photo_pano.html

Pic taken a couple years ago -- not including my recent A1000 addition and a few other items.

( http://www.flickr.com/photos/blakesp...7621596272210/ )

blakespot
I've seen your awesome collection before. Nice panorama photo. I can't really take a panorama photo like that without bashing my head through a wall... but I did take a couple "out of body experience" photos from above:

I've added lots of stuff since I started this thread, including:

"New, but not-exactly-new" in box Atari 800XL
SD card reader for Atari 800XL
"New, but not-exactly-new" in box TRS-80 Model 100
SD card reader for TRS-80 Model 100
1Mb Flash RAM chip for TRS-80 Model 100
a two-floppy drive Mac SE with Apple Extended Keyboard (very clean!)
2 Apple Extended Keyboards
2 Apple Extended II Keyboards
New TAC-2 joystick
New Atari Trak-Ball
a bunch of 80's IBM and Apple mice and trackballs (new or "nearly new")
Deneb USB 2.0 card for Amiga 3000

The Deneb USB (although a real pain in the ass to get working, and still buggy as hell) allows me to:
1. Finally get the Amiga networked & on broadband internet (using 99 USB Ethernet adapter!)
2. Copy to and from the TRS-80 Model 100 and Atari 800XL (SD/microSD cards)
3. Finally use the Amiga to copy MP3s to and from my portable player - Sansa Clip+ (and I made a Sansa icon (disk.info) that pops up on the desktop when the player is connected)

I can type stuff on my 1983 portable Model 100, then easily transfer it to my Amiga - to edit or post. (story seen is a work in progress )

I've even organised my closet. I really need a "fish eye" lens. You can't see the bookshelf with tons of manuals or the shelf below with other computers and keyboards neatly displayed.

Last edited by mr_a500; 23 July 2010 at 23:30. Reason: "Model 100... now even bigger!"
Old 21 July 2010, 03:46   #40
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
What's wrong with mounting the partition normally?

Code:
mount <device> <mountpoint>
Doesn't get any easier than that.
If you don't have a Linux kernel with SGI disklabel support compiled in (which I don't), then that won't work anyway. It's not just that. There are a bunch of other problems.
Quote from an IRIX thread:
Quote:
There is the XFSv1 and the XFSv2 on-disk layout. Linux XFS understands only v2. IRIX knows both, and since 6.5.14 (I think) it has been the default for new filesystems. But if you install a disk with 6.5-base and then upgrade to e.g. 6.5.22 it's still XFSv1 and it doesn't work with Linux.
Then there are hassles with GRUB. There are many threads by experienced IRIX users having major problems mounting IRIX drives. So, no, it's not easy.

On top of that, after many attempts to read my IRIX drive with Linux, it now doesn't boot in the Indy. Probably it got corrupted somehow. Just thinking about it makes me violently angry and makes me want to smash any computer I see running Linux.

So, to stay sane, I'll just leave it as it is and happily use my Amigas and BeOS.
AdSense AdSense