English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 May 2002, 09:03   #1
Send a message via ICQ to @UAE
Planning to Buy AMIGA

Hi ..
i have a plan to buy Amiga system .. but i dont have good knowledge about latest Amiga tech.
Please i need a Recomendation of Amiga system which Runs like a PC .. Full colour , Good sounds , internet connectivety .and where i can buy .

i have already A500+ no hard disk .. i was thinking to upgrade it with Viper 530 .. or AlfaPower .
i really got confuse now ..
anyone can help me with good solution .

AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 May 2002, 12:53   #2
No good web browsers on Amiga (no firsthand knowledge of this but brought up plenty of times by people on this board). Will that change with OS4? Remains to be seen.

The new Amiga is shacked up with Motorola's PPC & Matrox (matrox tends to be innovative when they're not slacking off, both companies tend to spend most of the time behind, or way behind the technology curve being generated by AMD/Intel/Nvidia. Motorola has shown no signs of being competitive on a performance or price/performance ratio with Intel in almost a decade.)

Also, look for the new Amiga to be much more expensive than a PC, to not have full 3D support until "later" (whenever that is), and, shipping with a brand new OS, to have anemic software support (at least for the first few months, but thats to be expected with any new OS).

On the plus side... it has the Amiga name?
Old 15 May 2002, 16:16   #3
OK, here's an Amiga-friendly post.

All-in-one new desktop Amigas will indeed soon be available. It remains to be seen how well any particular model performs. Also due soon are upgrades for 'classic' Amigas, to enable long-time owners to run OS4. Perhaps hold off making a decision until they are actually out.

It is still worthwhile buying a classic Amiga, although bear in mind they are pretty old designs now, and so have (for example) slower I/O ports than you will find on current PCs. The same thing will not be the case with a new model.

If you want to take the classic route...
I wouldn't recommend upgrading your A500 as your main Amiga. The 32-bit A1200/3000/4000 models are much more powerful and upgradable. They are all available second-hand for not much money, and so are more cost-effective in the long run. Deciding upon a specific base unit should depend on what you want to use it for.

Expansions are available from many retailers to boost processor power, add extra drives, connect to network/internet, pretty much anything you want.

My own system:
A1200 (in tower case)
Apollo 1260/75 (with 32MB)
2x IDE CD Drives
Mediator PCI Busboard
Voodoo3 PCI
D-Link PCI Ethernet Card
Various other bits 'n' bobs.

Runs just great. Efficient OS and proper multitasking, you see.

Waiting for OS4 + SharkG3 myself. Promises a very appreciable perfomance boost, and no need to replace mobo, or anything else!

UK retailers I got this stuff from: Power, Eyetech, Analogic

@Shadowfire: No good Amiga web browsers? Not true!

Last edited by blackcornflake; 15 May 2002 at 23:33.
Old 16 May 2002, 00:20   #4
Give up the ghost
Another bonus: no Windows on Amiga. Thanks to blackcornflake for correctly answering @UAE's question instead of a list of reasons NOT to buy an Amiga.
Old 16 May 2002, 00:52   #5
Send a message via ICQ to @UAE
Thanx blackcornflake

thanx blackcornflake
i think what u said is correct and i will follow ur instruction ..

i would like to have Amiga again ..
i will not forget it . it was over the Pc and all friends was comming to watch the great application and Games .. while they owns (At PC's) with ega monitor without music fun at that time ..

thanx again
Old 16 May 2002, 01:18   #6
You are most welcome!

I agree with you - the Amiga was so far ahead of anything else it was incredible. Maybe that is one reason why it has so many fans, even now.
Old 23 May 2002, 21:46   #7
Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Its a shame older computer enthusiasts had a much larger selection of systems and addons then we have today. Costs too much to be inovative anymore.

Just look at the processor/video/audio market how many companies have folded in the last 10 years

Everything is getting cheaper, but you have to buy from 1 or 2 makers, depressing.

Then again I wasnt happy getting orphaned with a Timex 2068 a few months after i purchased it.

If a 'new' amiga was to come out with better sound/video/os at a fraction of what the 'others' were charging I would step up and buy the first one. But I dont see a way you can do that without making custom chipsets on proprietary hardware (something like a console, but a real computer) and that means spending alot of money the AMIGA comunity doesnt have.
AdSense AdSense