English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 July 2009, 22:58   #61
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiriad View Post
Bought a black USB Saturn pad on Ebay, came in the post the other day - I like it! Thx to this thread I found it.
Great pad for 8-bit/16-bit games heh? I haven't played too many games on the PC in the last 1-2 years. But since i got the Saturn USB pad i've completed 5-6 PC-Engine/MD classics.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 26 January 2010, 18:10   #62
lilalurl
T32

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Finally decided to get one of those Sega SLS pads and received it recently.

After a bit of testing through various emulators and PC games I am very pleased by it .
I am normally a keyboard adept, but it is always bothering to have some key ghosting issues in some fighting games and other games needing to have several different keys pressed at once.

It may look a bit cheap at first eye contact but it feels great when handled and responsive at will.
The only fault I could find would be that it is relatively small so people with very large hands could feel a bit uncomfortable (depending on how you hold a gamepad). However, if you have regular hands it should not be an issue.

Regarding s2325 remark on micro-switched triggers, I'll add they are more or less like the DS lite ones. It might seem a bit weird initially but it does not pose any problem (at least for me).
Old 27 January 2010, 16:07   #63
_ThEcRoW
Amiga Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
Wow, that looks good and at a decent price. 6 + 2 +1 buttons is a good thing in terms of flexibility, unlike those gamepads with only 4 face buttons.

One question if you don't mind .
The description mentions: "Slow Motion Function"

What is that exactly? How is it activated? I don't see the triggers being used for that nor the start button.

From what i know from mega drive pads, slow motion was simply a shorted start button, i mean, it acted as if you repeatedly pressed the start button, hence the stopping and playing you got. This of course has drawback on those games where the start button was used for a menu or another purpose.
I had a pad that have this implementation. At first i thought it was malfunctioning, because the game i was testing used the start menu for options and items, but then, tested with golden axe, it showed it up. The same as if i were pressing the start button repeatedly.
Maybe, on this pad, performs differently, but being sega, could be the same.
Old 27 January 2010, 17:14   #64
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The Saturn USB pad has no slow motion, more a crappy pad description from the seller.
Old 27 January 2010, 19:54   #65
radon_22

I personally think the 360 controller does just fine for retro play, not to mention that every modern game made now supports it.

I do, however, like the dpad on my Nintendo DS. Google "DSpad" and "DS2Key" for how to use your DS as a gamepad.
Old 27 January 2010, 20:03   #66
lilalurl
T32

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Thanks for the information _ThEcRoW.

However, as R-N said, this pad has no slow motion. At least, when used on a PC and via an emulator to simulate the start button action (although it could probably be done on a PC game by bounding Pause to start button) the Start button does not auto-fire (I guess that's how it worked on the Megadrive).

Perhaps the original model had it and the sellers just copy-pasted. Anyway, nice to know where it probably comes from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radon_22 View Post
I do, however, like the dpad on my Nintendo DS. Google "DSpad" and "DS2Key" for how to use your DS as a gamepad.
A bit off-topic but since you mention this and there is a thread about using the PSP as a remote controller somewhere, I'll mention the existence of Remote Touch DS which "gives you the opportunity to remote-control your computers mouse, keyboard and other things from your Nintendo DS hand-held console. This solution is not like remote desktop, but more like an advanced remote control."

I never tried it however.
Old 27 January 2010, 20:17   #67
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
Perhaps the original model had it and the sellers just copy-pasted. Anyway, nice to know where it probably comes from.
Not really. The PC/Mac/PS3 pad is a 1:1 replica of the Saturn Model 2 pad, only with an USB connector.
Old 28 January 2010, 02:55   #68
Firthy2002
2nd era...

Send a message via ICQ to Firthy2002 Send a message via AIM to Firthy2002 Send a message via MSN to Firthy2002 Send a message via Yahoo to Firthy2002 Send a message via Skype™ to Firthy2002
I've yet to find a PC gamepad with a decent D-pad, the best thing seems to be to use a classic controller from another system with an adaptor.
Old 28 January 2010, 23:45   #69
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
Try the Saturn USB pad then.
Old 29 January 2010, 19:12   #70
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

I improvised for a while using a PSP for my gamepad (hard to play Brutal Deluxe with gamepad!), but then purchased a wireless Microshaft Xbox controller for Windows, and I like the D-pad. Thing was expensive, though.

But the way I look at it is, if I can pull off consistent Hadouken/Shoryuken, I'm cool with it! :-)
Old 30 January 2010, 16:44   #71
radon_22

This was just released:

I'm not so sure that I'm a fan of the blue LED look, but I did most of my C64 and Amiga gaming with an Atari joystick, so this is tempting.
Old 02 February 2010, 00:10   #72
Maren
Banned

If you can help it, forget about gamepads for Amiga stuff and buy yourself a good ole' fashioned joystick. Remember you barely get a couple of buttons for games, so you'll be doing pretty much everything with the joystick, and controlling an analog stick with the efficiency required for said task is nearly impossible no matter how ergonomically well-designed it is, unless you plan to use your hand rather than your thumb.
AdSense AdSense