English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 15 May 2009, 19:11   #1
jimmer78

OS 3.9 install issues

Hi,

I'm trying to install OS 3.9 on my newly aquired A1200...it has a 20Gig HD, OS 3.1, apollo 040/25, 4way IDE, CD-ROM IDE, 3.1 Kickstart.

I have made emergency disk from the os 3.9 cd but when reboot from emergency disk, it loads for a bit, then stops at a point saying "Invalid resident library." Workbench is displayed at the top of the screen and a blue and grey background is displayed - then nothing happens.

also, who ever installed the hard drive only has it set up as under 4Gb......I also cannot see any 040 libs in the present workbench install.

Any ideas what the issues are here and how to resolve please?

Thanks.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 May 2009, 19:29   #2
AmigaFriend

This means you don't have kickstart 3.1, which is required to boot.

http://www.gregdonner.org/os39faq/installtips.html#24
Old 15 May 2009, 20:53   #3
jimmer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpect View Post
This means you don't have kickstart 3.1, which is required to boot.

http://www.gregdonner.org/os39faq/installtips.html#24

Well I do though - I just installed 2 Kickstart 3.1 ROMS???

any ideas?

Old 15 May 2009, 21:50   #4
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer78 View Post
Well I do though - I just installed 2 Kickstart 3.1 ROMS???
What does the About window of the current Workbench installation say in its title bar ?

The message primarily means that workbench.library could not be opened in the right version. OS 3.9 needs workbench.library version 45. It is contained on the CD, not in the Kickstart. That it cannot be opened can be caused by the wrong Kickstart version, but it could also be caused by other reasons. Perhaps the missing or wrong 68040 library causes it. Try to copy a newer version of 68040.library to the emergency disk. I think the Cyberstorm libraries work with the Apollo, too.
Old 16 May 2009, 14:33   #5
jimmer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
What does the About window of the current Workbench installation say in its title bar ?

The message primarily means that workbench.library could not be opened in the right version. OS 3.9 needs workbench.library version 45. It is contained on the CD, not in the Kickstart. That it cannot be opened can be caused by the wrong Kickstart version, but it could also be caused by other reasons. Perhaps the missing or wrong 68040 library causes it. Try to copy a newer version of 68040.library to the emergency disk. I think the Cyberstorm libraries work with the Apollo, too.
Ok I've got Kickstart Version 40.68 and workbench version 40.42

Old 16 May 2009, 15:28   #6
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
The Startup disk should be reseting the amiga and installing the rom update and the updated workbench.lib installed by setpatch (contained on the floppy) . Is any of this happening ?
Old 16 May 2009, 17:14   #7
jimmer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt View Post
The Startup disk should be reseting the amiga and installing the rom update and the updated workbench.lib installed by setpatch (contained on the floppy) . Is any of this happening ?

The emergency disk? well it's reseting the amiga (power light goes dim) then accesses HD a bit then CD-ROM drive.....how do I know if it's installing ROM update and updated workbench.lib? what is set patch?

Looking on the CD it is version 45 of Workbench library (opened it on my PC in notepad).....

It loads into a new screen with workbench Screen in title bar, displays the error then a blue & grey background comes up.....THEN NOTHING!!

Was I meant to get a disk with the updated ROMS? How can it update the ROMS? I'm really confused here!!?

Is there an easy way of installing this? Can I wipe the HD and start from scratch?? I have workbench 3.1 disks (dunno if they are working thought) plus 3.9 OS original CD.....someone said to get OSXL? what is this?

Old 16 May 2009, 17:17   #8
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer78 View Post
..it loads for a bit, then stops at a point saying "Invalid resident library." Workbench is displayed at the top of the screen and a blue and grey background is displayed - then nothing happens..
Same happens to me, I tried averything but with same results.
Then xpect told me that I had the 1st version of OS 3.9 and to try the 2nd version which is more stable and has a better installing script.
I tried and everything goes well
Old 16 May 2009, 17:21   #9
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

You,ve made the emergency floppy. If the process worked correctly , the disk should have everything needed to install os39 from scratch. It will run the Rom update, mount your cd rom then boot a basic workbench from the cd. From here you can run hdtoolbox and install clean OS39 from the cd.

You may need to manualy copy the 68040.lib from onto the floppy (not sure if the lib is needed to boot - system will just be sluggish until its installed).

When setting up the hd keep it under 4 gig for now for safety. Can worry bout making use of extra space later.

I have a launch day cd and have not had any issues. never had anything to compare between this and revision 2 of the cd.

Last edited by Mad-Matt; 16 May 2009 at 17:29.
Old 16 May 2009, 17:29   #10
jimmer78

how do i get the second version?

I only have this cd - came with my amiga from car boot??

Is there a download of second version? I mean i own this version so I should be able to get up date right?

I dont know what to do - i've wasted 2 afternnons on this? what should I do - I tried making new disk - same thing happens???i seems to fall over after it accesses cd??

ARGHHHHHHHH!!
Old 16 May 2009, 17:39   #11
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

Q: I've heard there are revised copies of the OS 3.9 CD (a "Second Edition" or "SE" version); how do I know if I have one, and how do they differ?

A: The "Second Edition" CD should be pink; the original CD should be 'warm red'. Also, if your CD has files dated January 26, 2001 (or later) in the root directory, you have the newer "SE" CD. The original CD has no newer files than November 29, 2000.

The Second Edition CD contains various corrections to the installation script. However, please note that when installing OS 3.9 as an update only--NOT a full install, the installation script overwrites the S:Startup-Sequence file. Make sure you create & rename a backup copy of your original Startup-Sequence file before installation.

Regardless, Boing Bag 3.9-1 fixes most of the issues and problems with the first batch of CDs. There should be no real need for someone who has a first edition/original CD to buy a second edition CD if Boing Bag 3.9-1 is correctly installed.
Old 16 May 2009, 17:43   #12
jimmer78

My CD is red......so it's the first copy I take it.....

Huh? How do I install this Boing Bag 3.9-1 if I cant even install OS 3.9?
Old 16 May 2009, 17:46   #13
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

After some tries I had installed BB1 and BB2 with my 1st version of OS3.9 but the results are the same, only when I installed OS3.9SE all went well

Last edited by AlfaRomeo; 16 May 2009 at 17:47. Reason: I had tried that in WinUAE
Old 16 May 2009, 17:52   #14
jimmer78

Ah - I think I've just found out what the problem is.

who ever set this A1200 up has 2 partitions 1 HD0 workbench HD1 Work.

I see the HD0 is only 7MB in size!!!! Not big enough for OS 3.9 huh? Maybe that is why it falls over?
HD1 is 3.7 Gb

So now I guess I need to repartition the drive and reinstall workbenck 3.1 then install 3.9

so how do I do this please. I have the Original 3.1 disks....hope they work! Or is there a way of changing the partition sizes from within workbench?

The physical size of the drive is 20Gb....

any help would be great guys!
Old 16 May 2009, 18:17   #15
thomas

Quote:
Not big enough for OS 3.9 huh? Maybe that is why it falls over?
The emergency disk can boot even if you disconnect the HDD altogether. It only needs the CD. So partition size does not matter at all.

Please try the following: open a text editor, open the file in Devs/DosDrivers of the emergency disk, it's either EMERGENCY_CD or CD0 (there is only one). Find the line reading MaxTransfer = 0x1000000 and change it to read MaxTransfer = 0x10000 (delete two of the zeroes).

Then save the file and reboot.

Quote:
so how do I do this please
Once the emergency disk boots correctly, you will see that it contains an icon called HDToolbox. If you run this you can change the partitioning of the HDD.

But be careful: each partition you change will loose all its data. If you want to keep the files, be sure to make a backup first. Hopefully there is another partition which does not need to be changed and can take all the data. Or some free space where a new partition can be created.

Who on earth creates a 7 MB partition on a 20 GB HDD ???
Old 16 May 2009, 19:53   #16
jimmer78

OK I've sorted it - re-partitiioned Hard drive into 3Gb WorkBench...what ever left for Work

Installed workbench 3.1
Installed IDE FIX
Ran OS 3.9 CD - installed ontop of workbench 3.1 - not from emergency disk - partition now big enough.

all working.

Only problem now is that the 20Gb drive is only seen as Workbench 3Gb and work 4.9 Gb - how do i get it to see all of it?

also when I start the system an error keeps coming up saying "Cache CDFS - Cannot open cdrom.device unit 0"

My cd-rom is on IDE 3....how do I get rid of this error please?

When I go into CDFS prefs it says "you are use a version of the CacheCDFS filesystem this program can't handle!"

any Ideas - apart from that very impressed - haven't felt like this since I got my first A1200 back in '93!!

Right....where's canon fodder.......oh - any guides on this whload stuff?

Cheerz.
Old 16 May 2009, 20:04   #17
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

I suspect you may have gone over os39 cachecdfs with the one from idefix ? can pull the os39 version from the cd to be sure.

you might have multiple cdrom mountlists in devs:dosdrivers, check in there and just keep the one that says scsi.device unit 3
Old 16 May 2009, 20:14   #18
jimmer78

Hmm I've only got CD3 in the devs:dosdrivers

Could it be anything else?

I installed IDEfix before OS 3.9 so not sure what this CDFS issue is?

Also how do I get workbench to see the rest of this 20Gb HD?
Old 16 May 2009, 20:23   #19
thomas

Quote:
Also how do I get workbench to see the rest of this 20Gb HD?
http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/fixhddsize

Quote:
When I go into CDFS prefs it says "you are use a version of the CacheCDFS filesystem this program can't handle!"
Delete CDFSprefs from the Prefs drawer and use CacheCDFS instead.

Quote:
also when I start the system an error keeps coming up saying "Cache CDFS - Cannot open cdrom.device unit 0"

My cd-rom is on IDE 3....how do I get rid of this error please?
Edit Devs/DosDrivers/CD3 and change Device=cdrom.device into Device=scsi.device and Unit=0 into Unit=3.
Old 16 May 2009, 21:28   #20
jimmer78

Ok CD3 did say : " Device=atapi.device " and "Unit=3"

So I changed it to "Device=scsi.device" and it didn't work at all so I changed it back...
...the Unit was always 3 so i didn't change it...

....so I'm clueless about where/why CDFS is trying to open 0 on bootup? ""Cache CDFS - Cannot open cdrom.device unit 0" is the exact error

any ideas?
AdSense AdSense