English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 May 2009, 20:08   #21
mattbarton.exe

Toejam & Earl is definitely an interesting game for the Sega Megadrive. Pretty nice wikipedia article on the game, too. I like that it has connections to Rogue.

I have practically no experience with MSX and the Japanese computers, so that'd be bold new territory for me. My first computers were the Vic-20, Commodore 64, Amiga 1000, 3000, and finally a PC and Mac. I dabbled in DOS and Macs along the way, but sadly missed out on other platforms (been catching up via emulation).

I adored the Turrican series and played them all (with trainers, of course.) The music is wonderful on those. I also liked the Metroid games on the NES/SNES, which have a lot in common with them. I wrote an article comparing the two games way back in 2004:
http://www.armchairarcade.com/aamain...p?article.17.0

Thanks for buying the book, pbareges! Let me know what you think.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 09 May 2009, 19:49   #22
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

Your review videos are great You present them like making love to a beautiful woman. Keep up the great work
Old 09 May 2009, 21:19   #23
mattbarton.exe

LOL, I don't know if any game could ever be that great, Paul s, but I appreciate the compliment!

BTW, I just posted my new video - Civilization (1991 for DOS)

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 May 2009, 21:40   #24
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbarton.exe View Post
BTW, I just posted my new video - Civilization (1991 for DOS)

[ Show youtube player ]
Again very nice (though you could have made this a two part review (20 minutes) easily ) Subscribed to your channel to make sure I don't miss one
Old 10 May 2009, 12:27   #25
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
kewl more to watch , keep it up matt
Old 10 May 2009, 15:01   #26
extralife

wow, civ at last and now u made me want to play it I remember the first time i got my hands on this game back in the day on my a500, let me tell u, it was HELL lol I had no harddrive or anything, so I had to play it from the floppies and as I remember it, there was 4 of them and a ton of diskswapping lol
Today the question is what version do I want to play ? Dos or amiga, ocs or aga
great mattchat as allways of "THE" greatest game ever made
Old 11 May 2009, 20:58   #27
mattbarton.exe

Thanks for the comments!

I agree TheCyberDruid; this video definitely felt short to me. I kept trying to squeeze more into that 10 minutes and just couldn't pack it all in. There is so much to this game that you could easily talk about it for an hour and still have stuff left out. For instance, the manual itself a real accomplishment, with over 150 pages and lots of great commentary about the game and its design. I would also have liked to mention the many sequels, spinoffs, free civ, etc.

I'm not sure what the best overall version is, extralife. I never played it on the Amiga but only on DOS. The turn-based strategy games I played most on my Amiga were Empire and Warlords. My dad and I spent many great evenings playing Empire!
Old 12 May 2009, 19:35   #28
pbareges

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbarton.exe View Post

Thanks for buying the book, pbareges! Let me know what you think.
hi dear friend...

i received the book and i must say that i'm little disappointed...not about the content really... there's a lot of valuable info and some good unknown facts or stories...but given such a cover (space invaders sprite), i would have hopped more from the early ages and especially the 80's ....the amiga era is almost not represented in the book whereas i see it as the golden age of video games...i guess this is all too subjective and you tried to be objective...but still 90/00 era share is way too much for a vintage book according to me!

anyway keep up with the good job...i will buy your next vintage essay anyway(the 85-95 amiga one)!!

thanks!
Old 12 May 2009, 21:38   #29
Toffee

Great review. More Amiga stuff please
Old 13 May 2009, 17:10   #30
mattbarton.exe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbareges View Post
hi dear friend...

i received the book and i must say that i'm little disappointed...not about the content really... there's a lot of valuable info and some good unknown facts or stories...but given such a cover (space invaders sprite), i would have hopped more from the early ages and especially the 80's ....the amiga era is almost not represented in the book whereas i see it as the golden age of video games...i guess this is all too subjective and you tried to be objective...but still 90/00 era share is way too much for a vintage book according to me!

anyway keep up with the good job...i will buy your next vintage essay anyway(the 85-95 amiga one)!!

thanks!
LOL, you should see the Rough Guide to Gaming, which gave me the same reaction. Almost all of their games are from the 00s. Still, I agree that the title can be confusing; we argued incessantly with the publisher over it but they insisted. It should really be called something like "The Greatest Videogames Ever." Some people seem to have bought it thinking it would be limited to the 70s and 80s, and I think the title and to some extent the cover art is responsible for that.

At any rate, I've hopefully been making up for some of that with my Matt Chat videos, which have covered some 80s and 90s games that I think are great.
Old 01 September 2009, 03:58   #31
Pyromania

Another great game video review from Matt.
Old 01 September 2009, 13:49   #32
Moroder

great review matt. thanks!
Old 01 September 2009, 20:53   #33
mattbarton.exe

Thanks, guys. Lemmings will always be on my shortlist of most fun games. It's yet another example of a game that would be perfect for a DS remake.
Old 01 September 2009, 21:22   #34
TCD

Well, there is a 'homebrew' version : [ Show youtube player ]
AdSense AdSense