English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 28 April 2009, 18:14   #21
Akira

I have always been a late adopter of most any platform!!!

Got my C128 in mid-1990
Got my Amiga (600) by end of 1992
Got a PeeCee (Pentium 133) in 1997
in so far no consoles for me! So I got me an Atari 2600 in 1998 xD
Got a Playstation in 2002
Got a Dreamcast in 2005

And I think I am ready to get my first PS2, what do you think? haha
AdSense AdSense  
Old 28 April 2009, 18:17   #22
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
And I think I am ready to get my first PS2, what do you think? haha
You are ready, my... older Padawan.
Old 28 April 2009, 18:23   #23
Akira

Ha haha ha

I did keep up to date with the Gameboy Advance though, I bought it on the first week of Asian release, so I even got it before everyone else in Europe and USA. And my girlfriend got me a PSP last year so that's my newest piece of kit, which I enjoy very much thanks to the vast array of emulators available for the beastie.

The Dreamcast remains one of my favourite consoles ever, though...
Old 28 April 2009, 18:39   #24
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Send a message via MSN to MazinKaesar Send a message via Yahoo to MazinKaesar
Well, I play games both old and new, even if I don't buy a new console when it is released but after some time.
Old 29 April 2009, 02:12   #25
vimfuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi View Post
I am sure I wont buy any of eighth generation consoles and only seventh generation console I am planning to buy (maybe) is PS3. And not in 2009 or 2010, depends only on how good emulators will be developed for it.
I think you might be waiting for a long time, there is some serious hardware in the PS3 / X360, power wise probably beyond what PC's have now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
The overall "quality" of next gen consoles completely sucks.... I can't even believe that my Xbox 360 contains electrolytic caps Microsoft are such tight asses and decided not to go for the better solid state caps which makes no sense at all considering the amount of heat the system produces!! Those caps will not last
I work in the Automotive electronics industry, electro's are fine, they are used in just about every computer in a car, even ones mounted in the engine bay, other parts will fail before they do as automotive grade caps are rated to 125degC. The problem is M$ probably used the cheapest nastiest caps they could find. Imagine how bad the X360 would have been if the power supply was built in!
Old 29 April 2009, 11:00   #26
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vimfuego View Post
there is some serious hardware in the PS3 / X360, power wise probably beyond what PC's have now.
Maybe what they had in 2005 but not now.

And anyway I think he was talking about classic emulators to run on PS3 not a PS3 emulator?
Old 29 April 2009, 11:35   #27
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
I think you might be waiting for a long time, there is some serious hardware in the PS3 / X360, power wise probably beyond what PC's have now.
PC hardware from the last couple of years up until now have more "oomph" than current games consoles. The Xbox 360 was the only console to be released that was more powerful than current PC's (CPU and GPU wise back when it was launched).

The PS3 was released a year after the Xbox 360 due to technical difficulties causing delays. It was released with a less than impressive GPU based on the dodgy old geforce 7800 series! But i cannot comment much on the CELL CPU as it is still a relatively new architecture... I know it is used in servers and it is not ideally suited for games compared to a general purpose CPU.... but i am sure the devs will find ways to adapt and optimize as the CELL is also going to be used in the PS4 (Sony still need to make their money back from it - it cost them around $400 MILLION to develop )
Old 29 April 2009, 13:05   #28
girv
Reticulator of Splines

Send a message via ICQ to girv Send a message via AIM to girv Send a message via MSN to girv Send a message via Yahoo to girv
I don't have a console, but I do have a beefy PC for the little bit of gaming that I get to do.

I tend to play last generation FPS games, because (1) it takes me a year or more to get around to playing them (still haven't played Crysis for example) and (2) because I can turn all the graphics options up to 11 and it still runs fine on my new graphics card

So current edge of hardware technology with the trailing edge of game technology.
Old 29 April 2009, 15:06   #29
vimfuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Maybe what they had in 2005 but not now.

And anyway I think he was talking about classic emulators to run on PS3 not a PS3 emulator?
Ah, I was thinking the other way around, as in a PS3 emulator for PC.
I don't tend to keep up with the latest in PC hardware, my 'old' P4 3.0GHz seems to chug along fine, but, it doesn't like running Jim Power AGA in WinUAE, this is why I assumed a PS3 emulator on a PC would be technically impossible.
Old 29 April 2009, 15:11   #30
TCD

Quote:
...this is why I assumed a PS3 emulator on a PC would be technically impossible.
It's just a question of time and if someone will do it (quite sure someone will). If it possible now? Really don't think so, but for sure PCs are more powerful than the PS3 yet.
Old 29 April 2009, 19:46   #31
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

I personally think it will be a long time before a proper PS3 emulator is ready for the PC.... Even a high end PC can struggle a bit emulating PS2 games properly.... but yes the PC is more powerful than the PS3 (unless you have an old one )
AdSense AdSense