English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 15 April 2009, 14:14   #1
pmc
gone

Not sure if any of you chaps use the Ultraedit text editor for editing your code?

If you do the attachment might come in useful for you. It's a wordfile I knocked together for Ultraedit that can be used to automatically colour highlight your source code to make it easier to read. The couple of 68k wordfiles already on the Ultraedit site for download didn't seem to work too well when I tried them and weren't Amiga specific so this is my attempt at a better one.

Currently it highlights all 68000 opcodes, registers, comments, some commonly used Devpac directives and all custom register names.

You can easily edit the wordfile with a text editor to make it fit what you need if you need different things or anything extra.

Be sure to rename the file extension from .txt to .uew and copy it to wherever you keep your Ultraedit wordfiles.

Anyway, hope it's useful to someone - enjoy.

PS. Forgot to mention, it only automatically highlights any text files you load into Ultraedit that are named with .68k or .s file extensions

EDIT: Updated version of the wordfile attached to this post.

It now highlights Amiga custom register addresses as well as custom register names. Also noticed and fixed a problem with highlighting of some upper case defined Devpac directives. Also updated now to highlight (almost) all Devpac directives.

Last edited by pmc; 26 February 2010 at 12:23.
Old 15 April 2009, 14:55   #2
RedskullDC
Digital Corruption

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc View Post
Not sure if any of you chaps use the Ultraedit text editor for editing your code?
Anyway, hope it's useful to someone - enjoy.
Good work.Thanks for that mate

I use either Ultraedit or Editplus for text file editing.
Editplus has nice highlighting features for various file extensions too.

Recently started playing with Sweetscape 010 Editor, which also has neat scripts/templates which will also work on binary files.
http://www.sweetscape.com/
Would be easy to create a template to disect AMIGA exe files to see HUNK info etc.

Cheers,
Red
Old 15 April 2009, 16:24   #3
Leffmann

This is very useful, thank you!
Old 15 April 2009, 18:29   #4
pmc
gone

No problem boys, glad you can make use of it.
Old 15 April 2009, 18:43   #5
Amiga1992

Wow that's great, I love UltraEdit!
Old 16 April 2009, 09:49   #6
AmigaFriend

Yeah UltraEdit this program is awesome. I used to edit html code with it and was really a life saver when you needed to change the same string in a hundred pages with only one operation.

Nice work PMC, although i'm not a coder myself i recognize the importance of your uew file!
Old 16 April 2009, 10:09   #7
pmc
gone

Just in case anyone could do with an additional wordfile fix I put together another one for 6502 (6510) assembly code.

It highlights all 6502 (6510) opcodes (including illegal and DTV opcodes) and VIC-II, SID, CIA1 & CIA2 memory locations.

It also highlights all of the assembler directives and commenting as used in KickAssembler V2.25, which is what I use. Again this could easily be amended or adapted for your own personal favourite assembler.

PS. Forgot to mention it only automatically highlights any text files you load into Ultraedit that are named with .asm file extensions

Last edited by pmc; 26 February 2010 at 12:23.
Old 29 April 2009, 14:03   #8
vimfuego

Thank you, I'm a big fan of UltraEdit.
The only thing is the annoying P&E Micros assembler I use for some 68332 work doesn't like bne.s, it has to be bne.b , but I will manually add those myself.

Thanks,
Ross
Old 29 April 2009, 23:04   #9
lopos2000
Zone Friend

Stupid question! How do I use the file to in UltraEdit32?
Old 30 April 2009, 09:24   #10
pmc
gone

@ lopos2000: It depends on what version of Ultraedit you've got. If it's the latest version (version 15), and you've run the standard installation, you'll find that there's a wordfiles directory under this path:

Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit-32

Just rename the file extension from .txt to .uew and copy it to this directory. And that's it. Then, whenever you load a file into Ultraedit with either a .68k or .s file extension the wordfile will automatically do the highlighting for you.

If you're using an earlier version of Ultraedit then there's a slightly different method for placing and activating them I think - probably best to check the help within Ultraedit itself. Just search for wordfiles in the index and it'll tell you what to do...
Old 15 May 2009, 14:58   #11
pmc
gone

Quote:
The only thing is the annoying P&E Micros assembler I use for some 68332 work doesn't like bne.s, it has to be bne.b , but I will manually add those myself.
Now amended - I've uploaded a new version of the wordfile (see first post above) that has .b, .w & .l extensions for all the bcc.x opcodes as well as for bra.x and bsr.x
Old 16 May 2009, 18:38   #12
lopos2000
Zone Friend

Thanks PMC for the help.
Old 22 May 2009, 09:31   #13
pmc
gone

@ lopos2000 - no probs mate, anytime.

Uploaded a new version of the wordfile (attached to my first post). Found I'd forgotten to include the jmp opcode.

Don't worry, I smacked myself in the head for being so dumb so none of you guys would have to do it for me...

Oh, and there's a couple of other minor additions too.
Old 29 December 2011, 19:11   #14
lukepanic

Uhm,

sorry, but I cannot see any attached file - looking for that wordfile, it's not here?

best,
Luke