English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 April 2002, 21:54   #21
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

I did take it all apart recently but was very careful not to damage the cable - it looked like it was intact btw. The rest of the keys seem to work fine so maybe just these ones are broken?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 29 April 2002, 22:21   #22
oldpx

Actually, I too had a keyboard here that had some malfunctioning keys. I opened and cleaned it but there didn't seem to be a visible reason for the problem so I replaced it with another one. I guess these thing just get "old".

Old 29 April 2002, 22:45   #23
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
does everyone remember the boot options for A1200 (hold both mouse buttons down and turn on Amiga, works in emulation as well)
Old 29 April 2002, 23:08   #24
oldpx

Can't live without that Djay.

I heard there is a boot screen on A500 as well. Is that true? How can it be accessed?

Old 29 April 2002, 23:13   #25
RetroMan

Itīs not an option of the computer, itīs a Kickstart Option, if your A500 got Kick 2.0 or 3.1 the Early Startup Menu also can be accessed in the same way (both mouse buttons) ! AFAIK there isnīt such menu in Kick 1.3 !
Old 29 April 2002, 23:24   #26
oldpx

That one is interesting, when I had my keyboard replaced (it was my a500's keyboard that was malfunctioning) the guy who I bought the new keyboard from tried to access a menu by repeatedly pushing the escape key but then realized it was the wrong key and just couldn't remember how to access that menu he spoke of. He was trying to check if the new keyboard was ok or not and told me that it was like a hardware test menu. He tried ctrl+escape as well.

Old 29 April 2002, 23:40   #27
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally posted by RetroMan
AFAIK there isnīt such menu in Kick 1.3 !
Wish there was, anything to stop "the infamous hand". why? Let me explain:

Notice how this quality work of art ( ) happens to be a left hand holding the amiga disk. Well that's bullsh*t

Have you ever tried placing an Amiga disk in an A500 left handed? It requires the dexterity of a ferret.

I tried for hours using my A500 like that damn kickstart picture ordered me too and ended up with cramp for a week. So don't get me started on kickstart 1.3....................damn hand.

Never had that problem with kickstart 2.0 and up.
Old 29 April 2002, 23:51   #28
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloodwych
Have you ever tried placing an Amiga disk in an A500 left handed? It requires the dexterity of a ferret.
Old 30 April 2002, 01:07   #29
Drake1009

Quote:

Notice how this quality work of art ( ) happens to be a left hand holding the amiga disk. Well that's bullsh*t

I tried for hours using my A500 like that damn kickstart picture ordered me too and ended up with cramp for a week. So don't get me started on kickstart 1.3....................damn hand.

Somehow I don't have any problems with that though I might need to either bend my arm or wrist to get it in there. Maybe there are left handed Amigas out there somewhere though?
Old 30 April 2002, 01:50   #30
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:

Old 30 April 2002, 08:32   #31
gary

The kickstart/workbench hand was drawn with an Amiga 1000 in mind with the floppy drive in the front.

What struck me as incredible back in the days when I owned a C64 and was considering buying an Amiga was that Commodore had produced a machine with fantastic graphics, yet when you turn it on you see a pathetic scribble of a deformed hand holding a floppy disk! This is what I saw on most Amigas when they were on display at department stores!

They should have stuck with text messages showing memory/config, etc. then a floppy request message - it would have given a much more professional look instead of the childs drawing of a hand holding a disk.
Old 01 May 2002, 02:05   #32
Miggy2TheMax

Quote:

:laugh :laugh Good one.

Bloodwych, you obviously didn't read the user manual when you got your 500. In the chapter titled "howto insert a disk" it states that "you just flip you 1.3 500 upside down, with the keyboard facing down. You should now find the disk drive on the LHS of the amgia." AaaaHA, you see what happens when you don't read the user manual ?? tsk, tsk, tsk
Old 01 May 2002, 02:39   #33
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by Miggy2TheMax

Bloodwych, you obviously didn't read the user manual when you got your 500. In the chapter titled "howto insert a disk" it states that "you just flip you 1.3 500 upside down,
I think that was just in the Australian manuals
Old 01 May 2002, 22:44   #34
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally posted by Miggy2TheMax

:laugh :laugh Good one.

Bloodwych, you obviously didn't read the user manual when you got your 500. In the chapter titled "howto insert a disk" it states that "you just flip you 1.3 500 upside down, with the keyboard facing down. You should now find the disk drive on the LHS of the amgia." AaaaHA, you see what happens when you don't read the user manual ?? tsk, tsk, tsk
:laugh

Australian manuals, they're great! Yeah! That'll fix it

Oh, hold on...............

But then I would've put the disk in the drive upside down!!! I bet that makes a real grinding sound.
Old 01 May 2002, 23:31   #35
RetroMan

I donīt think youīre supposed to turn your Miggy upside down, itīs a little error in the manual Just turn yourself AND the Miggy upside down with your back to the Miggy, now you can insert the floppy left-handed with no trouble at all
Old 01 May 2002, 23:35   #36
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

This thread just get's weirder and weirder
Old 02 May 2002, 00:14   #37
oldpx

You all get it the wrong way! Since the world is round, an Amiga in austraila is already upside-down for a european.

Old 02 May 2002, 01:02   #38
blackcornflake

Dime Bar?!

Armadillo!!!

Does that make sense to non-Brits?

Or anybody, for that matter?

Old 02 May 2002, 01:12   #39
Drake1009

Tsk tsk. The world isn't round. It's dounut shaped, and with world I mean the entire universe. Either you find a way around the side of it, or you have to shoot it half the way across the universe, at which point you should have no problems inserting a disk with the left hand, if you're plastic man or another person who can stretch his arm very very far.

Other than that I only suggest you prove everythin is wrong which means black is white, up is down and of course that left is indeed right.
Old 02 May 2002, 02:12   #40
blackcornflake

@Drake -

Applied quantum mechanics aside for a mo, I don't think the old boot screen is that bad, myself. I used to think it was pants, but then I went to art college and they taught me that any old wobbly crap is OK, as long as it is 'justified'. Modern art, baby!

The hand/disk image to me echoes the De Stijl movement, which advocated pure abstraction and simplicity. It may be a pastiche of Piet Mondrian's work, as it seems to be constructed with elements of the vocabulary of neoplasticism. The image contains both biomorphous and geometric shapes, and whilst the lines and colours are essentially displaced in the negative white background space, a sense of balance between the two is achieved courtesy of the weight of the black lines.

Either that, or an employee's kid drew it.
AdSense AdSense