English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 06 May 2009, 10:41   #41
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

Apologies for the lack of replies. The disc (that I've just finished) had me stumped for ages.

I originally wanted to create a CD32 disc consisting of Jupiters Masterdrive, Max Rally, Micro Machines and Turbo Trax. However...

* I could not get Jupiters Masterdrive to work via WHDLoadCD32 so instead decided to include ATR (CD32 version) using the files from an original disc. I'll have to check other compilation discs to see if anyone else has got Jupiters Masterdrive to work, and if so, how.
* Max Rally caused me no end of problems... I installed the game to HD, then transferred over the files to CD, only to get a 'remove write protection on disk 2' messages. I then looked at other compilation disks and saw how it's been done before (the game works without the assigns as long as you have all the data files in one dir) and although it works, the game does not have any music. Oddly enough, if played on a winuae CD32 via a HD image it *does* work with music - I wasted hours trying to remedy this with no luck. If someone could hack the game binary so that the game doesn't check for write protection when the data on disk 2 is accessed then the game would work on a CD32 properly with music and the intro - the game already has write-protection tests built in later on and doesn't crash if you try to save on a protected disk (ie. CD) - it fails to write, but you don't get a pop-up message or anything nasty.
* I then decided to include an old shareware game I used to play on my A1200 called 'Last Lap'. This all worked OK via emulation and I even got as far as pixelling the menu screen with the game on - but when tested on real HW the game ran twice as fast as it should! Argh! Instead, I decided to include the CD32 version of Roadkill (using files from an original disc).
* Micro Machines (WHDLoadCD32 install) worked straight off with no issues. Thanks Wepl!
* I included Turbo Trax as I've played other compilations with the game on that crash after the first race on real HW. This version has been tested thoroughly and seems to be OK. The exit game button resets the CD32.

So after all that I have ATR (CD32), Micro Machines, Roadkill (CD32) and Turbo Trax on a disc instead.

Anyway - just got to finish the cover and upload tonight. The good news is that none of these games require any keyboard input to play - they are all playable on a standard CD32 console.

Lessons learned? Never trust the CD32 emulation in winuae alone - nothing beats a test on the real thing

Last edited by Heavy Stylus; 06 May 2009 at 11:56.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 06 May 2009, 10:45   #42
s2325
Zone Friend

Last Lap is on "444" compilation, it's fast game but I didn't notice it should be slower.
Old 06 May 2009, 10:54   #43
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

Yeah S2325 - Note that when played on an A1200 the seconds on the clock (top right corner of the screen) run at the correct speed. When played on a CD32 they run nearly double speed - the game is running too fast and the game is practically unplayable as a result!

I have no idea why the game behaves like this on a CD32, but runs at the correct speed on an A1200. Alexh has suggested that the game may be dropping a vbl on the CD32, which seems to me to be the logical answer, but it's still a mystery to me as to why.

Anyway - the disc has been uploaded

Last edited by Heavy Stylus; 16 May 2009 at 19:44.
Old 07 May 2009, 12:19   #44
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Thanks man, Micro Machines...time to beat my kid on the only computer game I ever could hope to (aside from Wonderboy & Skate or Die)!

The covers are great too!

PZ.
Old 07 May 2009, 12:31   #45
s2325
Zone Friend

I think it's still good but your older covers were better.
Old 07 May 2009, 14:07   #46
mk1

I've been under the impression that Turbo Trax was released for the CD32 but apparently it wasn't. Anyway, great compilation!
Old 07 May 2009, 14:43   #47
Gordon
Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I do love the style of the covers, they are very well done.

I still disapprove of the "Unofficial Amiga CD32 Conversion By Heavy Stylus" comments next to each game.

To the untrained eye it looks like you did all the hard work when it was infact the hard work of Wepl, the other WHDload contributors and those who did the custom HD conversions you use.

You didn't convert them, you compiled them.

"Unofficial WHDloadCD32 based ISO Compiled By Heavy Stylus"

Shame that the WHDloadCD32 cannot re-map keyboard keys to controller buttons. It would be great to be able to define a keyboard->PAD map within the tooltypes.
So are you saying he didnt bake the cake, he merely put the icing on it?
Old 07 May 2009, 14:59   #48
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

The original game coder(s) baked the cakes.

The WHDLoad/Install coders put the icing on.

I select the cakes I like most, taste them to check they are edible and put them in a box.

In all seriousness, I understand what alexh is saying. I've already put a paragraph at the top of the page promoting WHDLoad (which I have to stress not all my 'conversions' use) - but I think to keep things honest I'll add details to each entry stating if WHDLoad installs are used, and who created the patches. Not sure when I'll have a chance to do this, but the page will definitely be updated the next time I add a new entry.

(I added WHDLoad credits for each game tonight).

Last edited by Heavy Stylus; 15 May 2009 at 11:18.
Old 08 May 2009, 21:28   #49
Hawq

These have made it into this weeks Micro Marts Amiga section, nice

Old 08 May 2009, 22:19   #50
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

WTF?

Well that is somewhat unexpected - I'd better update the page pronto with additional credits for the people responsible for the WHDLoad patches!

(DONE!)

Last edited by Heavy Stylus; 09 May 2009 at 03:06.
Old 10 May 2009, 02:00   #51
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

I'm back with two more releases

Fly Harder CD32 SE

Click here for the story behind this one: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=44599

In a nutshell, this is a 'fixed' version of the official CD32 release (using the original CD files and not WHDLoad). As stated in the intro message above, Hitchhkr modified the game executable so that in-game the controls are now Left/Right to rotate, Red button to thrust and Green to fire. Finally, this great thrust clone is actually playable on the CD32!

Next up we have RGCD Arcade (Volume Two)

Four games (Extrial, Jump 'N Roll, Roketz AGA 1.39 (Full Version) and WormOut 2097), all of which play on a standard CD32 with no requirement for a keyboard. Extrial WHDLoad patch is by Bored Seal, and the Jump 'N Roll patch is by Codetapper/Action.

Roketz AGA is limited in the fact that you have to play as anonymous players and hence stats are not saved against your profile - but apart from that it works fine

Last edited by Heavy Stylus; 13 May 2009 at 11:04.
Old 10 May 2009, 11:08   #52
hitchhikr

Typos in the name: there's two "i" and no upper case "h"
Old 10 May 2009, 11:21   #53
hitchhikr

Also it sounds like the title tune is messed up.
Old 10 May 2009, 13:50   #54
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

Typos I can fix, music I cannot

I'm not sure why it does that - it seems to pause for a fraction of a second each time it loads a picture. hitchhikr - Do you have any idea as to what's going on? I checked your version in the zone and it does the same thing.

The in-game music seems unaffected - it's just the title screen so the game is still playable - for now consider it a beta.

(EDIT - NOW FIXED AND FURTHER ENHANCED!)

Anyway, and here's a more serious issue that has me concerned... I've just seen the Micro Mart article. It's a really impressive write-up, but I WISH that the writer had got in touch with me first as it makes out that these downloads are completely legal - which of course they are not. I've updated the legal text on the site to reflect this - but I'm in two minds at the moment as to whether or not I should actually remove some of the big names just to be on the safe side (R-Types, Turrican, etc.) - I really don't want to get shut down for this, as this little project was started with only good intentions...

Last edited by Heavy Stylus; 12 May 2009 at 17:30.
Old 10 May 2009, 21:00   #55
MethodGit

Considering Factor 5 still have the Turrican series - and R-Type - for free download from their site, I needn't think you'd have to worry there.
Old 10 May 2009, 21:03   #56
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

Following on from this, and partly due to the help of StingRay (and Graham) in supplying me with a waitjoybutton program, I'm going to pause creating these discs and instead concentrate on improving my previous single disc games (removing the forced 7 second wait, using doublespeed, and adding WHDLoad credits in game where necessary). My early efforts were a bit shoddy compared to my recent discs - I'm still learning, you see

I'll wait for a few weeks to see if I get any trouble from my ISP before posting any new games...

Also, is there any chance of having this thread moved elsewhere on the forum? I don't like cluttering up the news page
Old 10 May 2009, 21:19   #57
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
whats this about Micro Mart article ???

A rest & tidy up of ya old disks with new methods would do ya no harm while you wait to see which way the wind blows
May even help with ideas for new compalations
Old 10 May 2009, 22:09   #58
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
whats this about Micro Mart article ???
In a nutshell it says that the ISO's on my site have been cleared with the copyright holders (WRONG), and that they are basically legal for anyone to download and play (WRONG). Then it mentions the possibility of Factor 5 taking me to court (which isn't a particularly funny joke from where I'm sitting).

The caption next to my R-Type cover says 'Legal? Apparently so! Excellent!' - see why I'm worried?

I'm actually quite pissed off about this now - this isn't the kind of attention my little project warranted or deserved. If the author of the article had taken the time to actually get in touch I wouldn't have permitted the article to go to print. The last thing I need right now is a court summons. I should have kept these discs in my own collection
Old 10 May 2009, 22:22   #59
Retro1234

Nice covers Heavy Stylus - and dont worry about (C)

In one of Sven previous articles im sure he said Turrican 3 for CD32 was almost complete but never released I wonder if this is true and if there were any enhancements.

And well done again hitchhikr.
Old 10 May 2009, 23:26   #60
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

http://rgcd.co.uk/news/

This should makes my intentions clear, and I hope that any offended IP holders will understand that I didn't mean any harm in creating these discs.
AdSense AdSense