English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 24 September 2010, 03:00   #101
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

I'll explain it again, bec it seems somebody can't make it into his head.

Did Amiga use PPC? Yes they did at the very end.
Is OS4 a derivative from the old AmigaOS? Yes it is.

So, despite what some "purists" could think, these new breed machines like SAM are FAR NEARER to a real amiga than any other platform. What do you expect? Have the system unaltered for decades? centuries? ages? eons? That's the real NONSENSE, amiga evolved while it was still "commercially alive" and it evolved to the PPC, SAM still uses that technology, and uses the OS, so it can be called amiga for sure. It has a lot of PC hardware on it? Of course, A-One did, Pegasos did, and they were amigas either. Take for example the Macintosh, they used 68k architecture either, they moved to the PPC and they were still MAC. And believe me there is a lot of PeeCee hardware on a G3 or G4. But they're still MAC. ... I can't say the same actually.

In my case i do use a MacMini, is it an Amiga? NO it isn't but it works like any other
PPC Amiga. If you still can't understand systems can EVOLVE, you should turn back to the tabble tennis console PONG, or play the Atari 2600 forever.

SAM is an Amiga, there's no doubt about it. A Macintosh G4 is a Mac, and the Firebee is an Atari ST, in the same way MiniMig is an Amiga and NatAmi will be, despite these two will be nearer to the original concept than to the new breed.

I do AGREE with Desiv
AdSense AdSense  
Old 24 September 2010, 07:11   #102
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyLucke View Post
I'll explain it again, bec it seems somebody can't make it into his head.

Did Amiga use PPC? Yes they did at the very end.
Maybe it is you. Commodore never used PPC, they were taking a peek at HP PA-RISC when they went under. Their last development was the well known A4000T (a 68040 based computer), then they went bankrupt.

The famous OS4, is as AmigaOS, as Linux is Unix, as ReactOS is Windows, and so on.

Why try to delude yourself? A SAM is an overpriced and underpowered ordinary PPC motherboard, totally unrelated to what the Amiga hardware architecture was.

Its OS, OS4, is an attempt to rewrite AmigaOS on another architecture. It is as Amiga, as AROS and MorphOS is.

It is up to you to believe the marketing bullshit Hyperion and company try to acomplish with you, just to get more $$$ from the nostalgia factor.

Please, let it rest in peace, the Amiga has long been dead. Enjoy what is left of it!

Have fun with your SAM, but dont think for a second it is an Amiga!
Old 24 September 2010, 17:39   #103
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

Lemme refresh your brain a bit, PPC was introduced to the Amiga architecture by PHASE5, an OFFICIAL COMMODORE third party developer. A1200 PPCs were the fastest classic amiga models, powered by Phase-5 of course. That was the only way to go, as long as the 68k architecture was OBSOLETE.
But it seems "now it comes to light" under your so-well reasoned explanation a Commodore A1200 with PPC is not an Amiga... Clear... Any other great fact to throw light on, master?

Whaddaya want? Keep with the 68k forever while trying to keep reasonable computing power compared to PeeCees? That wouldn't be NONSENSE. And, again, if you're so retro and so immovilist you can't understand systems evolve, you should go back to the pong and stop arguing about that "amiga legacy you don't like".

I really don't understand people like this, and why are they posting stuff here.
They look more interested on arguing and claiming all the time the system is dead than on giving positive vibes and contribute to the Amiga community. You like to talk about dead stuff? Then, dude this is the livest dead thing i've ever seen. It keeps people like you arguing and saying regressive stuff. Amiga is not dead, is just dead under commercial terms... No dead stuff comes with projects related to it from time to time.

Under your arguments, CP/M shouldn't ever moved from the Z80 to the x86 and transformed to DOS, DOS shouldn't ever have transformed into Windoze, and so on.
Just like other folks that shouldn't ever got out from their caves, and stopped on carving
stuff on stone and started to type on a keyboard. Do you believe on evolution? Or probably you still believe Adam and Eve were the origin of men? ... C'mon...

And no, I DON'T own a SAM.
Old 24 September 2010, 17:47   #104
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
a Commodore A1200 with PPC is not an Amiga...
An A1200 with PPC is an Amiga with PPC. But peecee hardware with PPC is not an Amiga. Simple
Old 24 September 2010, 17:56   #105
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Amiga is not dead, is just dead under commercial terms...
And that's the point. PPC Amiga was invented years after the commercial dead, as a successor of the Motorola 68x Chip.

And once again: AMIGA IS A RETRO HOBBY!! Just like the C64, Genesis, N64, Atari ST etc. All these machines aren't evolved into better/modern counterparts, just like the Amiga. Is it so hard to understand?

And yes, we like to talk about "dead" machines again and again. WinUAE, WHDLoad, new turbocards, Amiga hardware mods, etc. Much better than talking about really dead modern Amiga wannabe hardware/software, which is a niche in a niche market for a very small group of people.
Old 24 September 2010, 17:59   #106
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

Man, i do own a lot of retro machines, and Amiga and "derivates" (if you like more this expression) is the one that is not really dead.

And a PPC system designed on purpose to run Amiga software can be called AMIGA, the goal
is to run amiga software, not peecee software, nor mac software, nor commodore 64 software or whatever.

That's why it can be called AMIGA as well, concretelly new-age or new breed amiga.
Or if you want it so, amiga clone or amiga zombie or amiga derivate, however it's related to the amiga
and you can't change that fact.
Do you really believe a quad core G5 mac is really hardware related to a Mac II?
And they're still Macs.
Geez...

Sometimes i feel like there are too many "Amiga-talibans" believing in the past glory and not giving a fuck for a feasible modest future.

Last edited by DyLucke; 24 September 2010 at 18:09.
Old 24 September 2010, 18:07   #107
TCD

It's still 'Microsoft Windows' and 'Apple Macintosh', but 'Commodore Amiga' is long gone. The technical discussion is tedious, as it's fairly obvious that a continuous development wouldn't use 68k (and maybe not PPC either) today. The 1985 'years ahead' machine that became affordable in 1987 isn't anymore and these new machines are simply nothing like it (same with the A1200 btw...). That's the real point why people aren't into spending their money for them and instead just 'pimp' their classic Miggies. There's certainly a big difference between those who just enjoy it as a great retro platform and those who use it as an everyday machine.
Old 24 September 2010, 18:10   #108
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

This is the Amiga News section. So i can clearly say the whole thread it OT here. Just like the annoying talk about Mini-Macs and AOS4 ages ago. PPC expansion cards are slighty Amiga related. New PC SAM boards not!!!
Old 24 September 2010, 18:12   #109
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

CyberDruid, the main handicap for these New-Breed amigas is just a budget factor, they're way too expensive. The fact Commodore passed away, doesn't mean other companies could continue developing systems related to the original line of computers.
Old 24 September 2010, 18:15   #110
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

Ok Retro-Nerd, then windoze is not related to DOS, DOS is not related to CP/M, PPC (IBM+Motorola) is not related to the 68K (Motorola) and so on... Right? Great argument. In the same line stating Motorola is not related to Amiga, and Amiga is not related to Commodore... Fine, fine... I'm starting to understand you.
Old 24 September 2010, 18:19   #111
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

No, obviously not. Check EAB, there are no forums/subforums for evolved, modern, cloned or whatever wannabe Amigas. And then check Amiga.org. They have forums for that kind of stuff.
Old 24 September 2010, 18:22   #112
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

You reminded me Sheldon... Do you know what sarcasm is? Can you identify it when you read it?

Dude, you're a complete taliban... if it was for people like you we would still work with valves, steam, b/w analog monitors, perfored stripes, or carving on stone instead typing... Can you admit things evolve? Sistems evolve either. ^^
Old 24 September 2010, 18:29   #113
DH
Global Moderator

I think it's about time this thread was either wrapped up or moved out of the news altogether. Nobody is going to agree on anything concrete here, there are all the + and - all within the 112 posts and to be quite honest, I don't really care. The only Amiga/s that ever truly existed were commodores, anything after that are just derivatives of the original machines.
Old 24 September 2010, 18:31   #114
gulliver
BoingBagged

Just evolve DyLucke, the entire computing world has evolved around other architectures and OSes. The Amiga is long dead.

Let us here enjoy our hobby, as much as an antique car collector does.

But please understand that the Amiga is as dead as the dodo.

Last edited by gulliver; 24 September 2010 at 18:38.
Old 24 September 2010, 18:34   #115
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

Derivatives that ARE from Amigas, people that own one of these derivates bec they're related to the original thing, and they can do much more stuff with them than with the classic hardware are to be blamed like this? I don't think so. Probably call the new-breed amigas just Amiga is not accurate, but in the same way DemonHellraiser you've been not accurate saying only Amigas were Commodore... What about Amiga technolgies? And what about the clones? A Draco can't be called amiga? I deeply disagree with you. They can be called like that, despite they're not the original and genuine thing.
Old 24 September 2010, 18:35   #116
TCD

Quote:
CyberDruid, the main handicap for these New-Breed amigas is just a budget factor, they're way too expensive. The fact Commodore passed away, doesn't mean other companies could continue developing systems related to the original line of computers.
The other problem I see is that it's not a simple 'buy and continue' kind of deal either. There are quite long pauses and dead ends along the way. Anyway, just wanted to explain why there are at least two quite different points of view to what 'Amiga' means
Old 24 September 2010, 18:40   #117
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

Gulliver you talk like i don't own a REAL (Classic) Amiga, i do own half a dozen. And they're my favourite retro machines. Clearly.

Talking about the dodo, a bird that is INDEED dead, and NOBODY talks about it, nobody
announces new products for it, neither has a forum like this to discuss about it.

Amiga is still alive since new hardware for old systems is produced, is alive since new hardware derivated from it is produced, and it's alive since we all talk about it and we
use it frequently. So i do disagree with you again. The difference between you and me
is the fact i have a wider sight than you, to be alive doesn't mean to sell in huge numbers. ^^

We can discuss for ages if new derivated hardware is Amiga or not, talking about purity, but we
just can't avoid the fact, they are related to the Amiga, and as long as new stuff related to
"dead" things is done, the dead will never be dead. Amiga was created like an idea, and the idea
is still alive, in fact ideas can't die, at least while people can remember them.
Old 24 September 2010, 18:42   #118
DH
Global Moderator

@DyLucke

How many people have said the Amiga *IS* Dead?

It is, end of story and that is my view, just like you have your own, but trying to ram it down our throats is just causing all of this mayhem which has gone so way off topic..

Now for the life of EAB and this thread, can we please drop it.
Old 24 September 2010, 18:43   #119
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
getting back together is nice though
Not if she's dead.
Old 24 September 2010, 18:44   #120
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The classic Amiga itself is dead. The classic Amiga hardware asccessory market is still alive. And of course much larger than the "modern Amiga" markt, for sure.
AdSense AdSense