English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 26 April 2002, 22:36   #1
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Question The Pinaccle was....

A lot of you seem to have a lot of knowledge regarding the technical side of the Amiga.
My question is...What game, out of the entire Amiga catalogue, pushed the machine the furthest, technically speaking? What game managed to squeeze every inch of power out of the Amiga?
I realise that there may be many things to take into consideration and this may not be easy to answer, but overall, pick one.

For 16Bit Amiga

For 32Bit Amiga
AdSense AdSense  
Old 26 April 2002, 23:11   #2
jmmijo

My vote for 16-bit would be the Shadow of the Beast Series.

Since I never owned an AGA machine until recently I can not really comment on the 32-bit area
Old 27 April 2002, 00:15   #3
Drake1009

I was always in awe about Slam tilt pinball, and Lionheart looked great too though I'm not sure that it did push the Amiga that much.
Old 27 April 2002, 00:27   #4
Bloodwych

Worms DC AGA was a good looking game, as was Super Stardust AGA (tunnel scenes ); hard to think of one that really pushed the 1200 though.

For 16-Bit:
SOTB series is an obvious candidate already mentioned, but many games milked the A500 and the 68000 to the max. I used to love those that used full overscan!

So my mention goes to Settlers! The fact it was full overscan and never slowed down with ever increasing guys/buildings on screen (unlike say populous) was a neat programming touch.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 27 April 2002 at 00:34.
Old 27 April 2002, 00:38   #5
oldpx

I say Hired Guns. I never found that game particularly entertaining but it did push the hardware ahead

Perihelion is another. You must really see the intro of this game. It's awesome.

Old 27 April 2002, 06:43   #6
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

on EGA, I would say Stardust and Elfmania..

If I want to show the power of the Amiga to my friends, I would always run one of those 2 games.
Old 27 April 2002, 08:15   #7
dcr8520

Im like: The Settlers and RoadKill ..

Old 27 April 2002, 09:36   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
on EGA, I would say Stardust and Elfmania..

If I want to show the power of the Amiga to my friends, I would always run one of those 2 games.
EGA?! You mean ECS...
Old 27 April 2002, 09:58   #9
Drake1009

Hehe. Who knows, maybe Stardust runs on EGA as well. Super stardust requires VGA on the PC though and supports SVGA as far as I recall.
Old 27 April 2002, 20:05   #10
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Question

Being the versitile machine thst the Amiga was, how would you count futherest technically?
You had 3D games like TFX & Alien Breed 3D,& Liberation late in the life of the AGA machines,but likewise look at games like several sprite based Team 17 titles like Superfrog etc.,& other classics like the Turrican series,or even having an Amiga translation of Wing Commander,so where do you start??
Old 27 April 2002, 22:36   #11
Akira

Hmm... I think Lionheart pushed the 16/32 bit beast to the max, and Brian the Lion had nice jiggery-pokkery in there too... Special mention goes to Stardust.

As for AGA nmachines, tough call. So far I havent seent a game that seems to be pushing the mchine to the limit. Super Stardust looks fab, but does it push the machine?
Old 28 April 2002, 02:33   #12
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
Quote:
Shadow of the Beast Series
i wouldn't have said that the Beast series pushed the Amiga that much, for they were 2D platform games with polished gfx...

... i'd go for Doom AGA http://www.amiga.ukhq.co.uk [Games Section]
Old 28 April 2002, 07:23   #13
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Shit.. too many sigles on my head yeah, I meant ECS sorry

PC is taking my soul over...

I agree with Djay, I think the beast series just have polished graphics... they never throw lots of stuff on the screen , neither do nasty stuff..

It's like some MSX games being published in the recent years.. they all look great, but technically they are very limited.
Old 28 April 2002, 09:38   #14
th4t1guy

For the 16 bit machine, I'd have to say Unreal or Frontier (how that fit on one floppy is beyond me!)

It gets harder for me to decide on the 32bit models because you have so many different hardware configs that affect performance greatly.

Also, has anyone played the early demo of Fears? I got it off the Aminet a long way back, and I was suprised to see that it ran full speed on my 68000 A500!
Old 28 April 2002, 10:33   #15
Drake1009

Quote:
Originally posted by th4t1guy
For the 16 bit machine, I'd have to say Unreal or Frontier (how that fit on one floppy is beyond me!)
You can fit a lot on the floppy, a darn lot. If you haven't tried it and have a fast PC I recommend that you try downloading one of the 64 kilobyte (PC) demos from BTTR. If you take for example the Farbrauch 8th demo. (I think RCK posted a link to that somewhere here) you'd find it has a ridiculous amount of graphics and music squished down in 64 kb.
Old 28 April 2002, 19:33   #16
th4t1guy

I have looked at those demos, and yes, they are amazing. However, they need the latest directX and a bunch of other crap to make it run, whereas Frontier would boot up from DOS and you have an entire galaxy!
Old 29 April 2002, 02:15   #17
Akira

Even if it didnt need directx (there are dos 64 demos) the key is that they precalculate everythng. MAD mathematics going on in there (specially fourier shite for audio). It's amazing, but it's an art. No one is coding like that anymore, except demomakers
Old 29 April 2002, 06:37   #18
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Hey, about Frontier, I know a guy who saw the code of it, and he says that Frontier does NOT fit all that in a floppy, the game has a kind of "generator" , that generates the universe when the game runs.

So, it's like if the universe was made at random, except, well.. it's not random. it's called "Generator of constant point" or something like that.
Old 29 April 2002, 16:49   #19
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
Quote:
So, it's like if the universe was made at random, except, well.. it's not random. it's called "Generator of constant point" or something like that.
true.

if you hex dump the code, you can see that it is all pure maths, which as we all know takes up a lot less space that bitmap graphics. - Frontier is GREAT btw!!!

i think that Amiga Scene demos pushed the Amiga way more than any of the Amiga Games...
Old 29 April 2002, 17:06   #20
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
the game has a kind of "generator" , that generates the universe when the game runs.
This is democoding-like. This is the precalculation that takes place in all 64K demos... But as I said, this is an art a few cater for nowadays!

I see nobody can comeup with an AGA breakthrough... Do you think nobody has pushed the A1200 as far as it could go, without upgrading it? I think they moved too soon onto accelerated and expanded AGA systems, thus not focusing on pushing the stock system, like they did with the A500. A real shame, that machine has the potential
AdSense AdSense