English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 April 2010, 18:44   #41
laffer
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
As mentioned above I do like the Amiga version but the original Arcade is definitely the best version IMHO.

Did you guy that say the Amiga version is best ever play the Arcade version on "real" hardware? The spinners / rotary joysticks make it so much fun, same as with other classics like Heavy Barrel, Caliber Fifty etc...
I imagine it would be a lot better than the keyboard, anyway... I just tried it out that way and it was horrible at first.

But I changed the controls so that I use numpad to move and numpad 7&9 to rotate the gun... and after a little while, I got the hang of it... now if only my fingers would stop aching so bad when using the keyboard to play games

But of course... playing on the real hardware with the real controls is something completely else.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 14 April 2010, 19:15   #42
deicidal
Registered Insane

I loved it on the amiga and I have to be honest when i played it years later via mame i wasnt that impressed though this could be due to a lack of rotating joysticks
Old 14 April 2010, 19:24   #43
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by deicidal View Post
I loved it on the amiga and I have to be honest when i played it years later via mame i wasnt that impressed though this could be due to a lack of rotating joysticks
I wasn't impressed too. The original controls sucks (played it in the arcade, way too complicated for a platformer shooter) plus the gameplay was unbalanced. The home versions improved that and the controls, no doubt.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 14 April 2010 at 19:39.
Old 19 April 2010, 14:21   #44
pce_gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
No 2-player co-op = boooooring. Better Movement? I don't think so. And of course the Amiga music & sfx sounds far better.
Crack smoker!!!

The Amiga version sounds OK, but definitely doesn't compare to the Genesis sound track (which is better than the arcade version). If the Amiga version has SFX, then why doesn't Cubex55 longplay of it - not have any? It much hinder something on the music side when enabling them or something. Genesis version; better graphics, actual parallax scrolling, much better music/fx. Can't comment on the controls of the Amiga version, but the Genesis one has solid controls. Though I do prefer the arcade's rotate stick. I can't see anyone could not like that. The game was designed around it and it fits best. Your statements on this one sounds waaaaaayyy Amiga biased.

And how is single play boring? So you *only* play the game when a friend is around? Sounds like bullshit to me
Old 19 April 2010, 14:28   #45
s2325
Zone Friend

You can select music or sfx but not both. Sfx are always on in shops.
Old 19 April 2010, 15:05   #46
-=SPY=-

I loved the arcade version ...
Old 19 April 2010, 15:39   #47
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pce_gamer View Post
The Amiga version sounds OK, but definitely doesn't compare to the Genesis sound track (which is better than the arcade version).
Quote:
Originally Posted by pce_gamer View Post
Genesis version; better graphics, actual parallax scrolling, much better music/fx.
Isn't taste just a wonderful thing to argue about?
Old 19 April 2010, 18:12   #48
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Though I do prefer the arcade's rotate stick. I can't see anyone could not like that. The game was designed around it and it fits best.
No, it was THE weak point of the game. The unwieldy original arcade control was criticized (compared to the later home versions) in the most magazine reviews. And i have to agree. Though a rotary stick was pretty good for non-platformer shooter like Ikari Warriors or Victory Road.

Quote:
And how is single play boring? So you *only* play the game when a friend is around? Sounds like bullshit to me
Sounds like you never had friends. It's pure fun to play those games in co-op.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 19 April 2010 at 18:51.
Old 19 April 2010, 20:23   #49
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

it would probably (definately i think) be possible to patch the Amiga version to use two joysticks for each player (using parallel port joysticks) , so that "rotate" (i.e. fire and left/right) was on one joystick and character movement was on another joystick.

... i'm not adding that function to the WHDload slave though - too pointless to add a crappy control system
Old 19 April 2010, 20:44   #50
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

I remember Quickshot making a joystick with a twist function which rotated the character on Ikari Warriors (and maybe this game too). Did the Amiga version support it?
AdSense AdSense