English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 March 2009, 20:07   #61
StarEye
Zone Friend

Go to Windows/system32 and manually load the program from there. Just double click on the file you put there.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 17 March 2009, 20:09   #62
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Yup, but the second part says 'it shows up in the group "Show 32 Bit control elements" with the classic view'.
Yes, classic view mode is the only one I use, and still... damn
Quote:
Btw : Reboot done?
yup. two times. once with the original instrucion (copy to system32) and than according to this one.

Oh well, he's telling he may do a 64bit version laters, so here's hoping...
Old 17 March 2009, 20:11   #63
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye View Post
Go to Windows/system32 and manually load the program from there. Just double click on the file you put there.
WOOT!?!
LOL, it works!
thank you!
Old 17 March 2009, 21:35   #64
StarEye
Zone Friend

You're welcome.
Old 18 March 2009, 00:04   #65
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Great stuff this Timidity, with the *HUGE* SGM-V2.01 (216MB) sound bank the sound quality is incredible, it's a shame it's all so quiet
Is there a way to boost the sound volume?

1. Windows Media Player Classic
Tried a few MIDI's, they sound hell of a better.
Still, way too quiet

2. ScummVM
Works perfectly with any DOS version of the game.
Now I'm seriously reconsidering scraping the CD versions of some games and getting the DOS ones.

3. DosBox
Checked "mixer /listmidi", saved into config the games still appear to be playing crappy music. Is there any special sound card I need to choose?
I *think* when I've chose Sound Blaster in Blood it sounded better, but a few others still sound as crap as always with most setups...

4. ModPlugTracker
Couldn't find any options concerning the MIDI output and adding a new sample bank does nothing and the files get played with the default set.
Anyone?

5. WinAMP
Output > MIDI = MIDI's sound perfectly
Old 14 May 2009, 13:48   #66
extralife

i tried that timidity thing aswell after reading this here post and couldn't get it to work either, but, but, I just thought what the hell lets just try that fluidsynth option in scummvm and pick a soundfont in the midi settings of scummvm, viola!!! I was blown down my chair, after setting the midi gain to 7.00 in DOTT it simply sounds heavenly, I mean it's like playing a completely new and improved game, thx for pointing to that sgm soundfont, it totally rocks, now I need to figure out if I can use this font with lands of lore in dosbox one of these nights, but for now it rocks my scummvm .......awesome
ps: In monkey island 2, if u miss soundeffects while loading this soundfont, just tick adlib+midi
Old 14 May 2009, 15:14   #67
AB Positive
kachou ON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye View Post
Unfortunately, I can't get Phantasmagoria 2 working, nor can I rip the discs (must be some kind of protection).

Don't bother. Have yourself a much better time watching "Let's Play Phantasmagoria 2" on The Spoony Experiment.

spoonyexperiment.com

click on 'game reviews' and look for P2. Way more entertaining watching it get snarked to death over the 5 hours of the game than to actually play it.

"I heard that Curtis!"
Old 15 May 2009, 00:02   #68
switchblade

To get Timidity++ music working in DOSBox games, apart from also setting up with the mixer and config commands, select General Midi for music at port 330 whenever you're in a sound setup for whatever game. Tried this with DOOM setup, and the results are awesome.

Only noticeable thing with Timidity in DOSBox, is the extra lag/load times, but it shouldn't be that bad to deal with.

Instead of playing MIDI's in Winamp, use the Timidity++ MIDI Player. It should be the timw32g.exe file.
Old 15 May 2009, 13:09   #69
frsoldier

Send a message via Skype™ to frsoldier
Quote:
very cool, Carma 1 is still my Dos favourite game
Old 15 May 2009, 13:40   #70
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

"so many pedestrians, so little time".

I didn't like the game, but the bumper sticker that came with it was brilliant
Old 15 May 2009, 18:57   #71
laffer
Zone Friend

I've used Dosbox for ages, it's a wonderful program.
There are plenty of games I prefer to play on the PC - including all of the Sierra adventure games.
It's too bad there isn't very good MT-32 emulation yet, though.
Old 15 May 2009, 22:42   #72
switchblade

Honestly, DOSBox is a hell of a lot more easier to use than the real DOS. If anything, it's only slightly more complex to run than any other console emulator or even WinUAE. It's a good thing that DOSBox has 3rd party front-ends (like D-Fend Reloaded) being supported, because I highly-doubt that many people being introduced to DOS would enjoy typing in commands to do even the simplest of tasks, compared to using a GUI.

I never use a front-end for DOSBox. Mainly because I grew up with DOS, and so I can easily remember what to type from the back of my head.
Old 20 May 2009, 00:59   #73
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli Send a message via Skype™ to NewDeli
@switchblade
Thanks, I didn't know some dev. team took over the D-Fend project. The other good news is : It's open source now !
Old 20 May 2009, 01:40   #74
frikilokooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchblade View Post
Honestly, DOSBox is a hell of a lot more easier to use than the real DOS. If anything, it's only slightly more complex to run than any other console emulator or even WinUAE. It's a good thing that DOSBox has 3rd party front-ends (like D-Fend Reloaded) being supported, because I highly-doubt that many people being introduced to DOS would enjoy typing in commands to do even the simplest of tasks, compared to using a GUI.
I remember when I bought my first PC about five years ago,before I had an A500 and consoles.I downloaded DOSBox and found that black screen with text,I didn't know what to doI gave up and years later I found a frontend.
Old 18 August 2009, 04:15   #75
NewDeli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
lets just try that fluidsynth option in scummvm and pick a soundfont in the midi settings of scummvm, viola!!!
scummVM isn't compiled anymore with FluidSynth support.
This software synth has been discontinued apparently, but glad to notice it works so simple in the LucasArts emu.

Don't know if it's the case with latest X-FI Soundblaster cards, but basically :
"cheap" Audigy + Vista = MIDI / soundfont options disabled

Easiest way to test your Soundfonts : Download the good ol' Vienna Soundfont Studio.

I choose to start with "installing" the control panel MIDI switcher.

and from what I've read the "Yoke" method seems safer.

Moar to follow...
Old 18 August 2009, 06:06   #76
NewDeli
Banned

I followed the instructions on this page to experience enhanced background music in ScummVM, and in DosBOX when available.

@Sh00n : I stress "background music" because I think you shouldn't be surprised that the volume level sounds relatively low :
MIDI instruments in games are rarely used to simulate a hard rock concert but provide gentle atmospheric music
(there might be rockin' audio tracks in a few games, and in this case the soundbanks may not be very well suited).

The setup of "Yoke" needs you to follow these steps carefully
glad I had to deal with VSTi plugins in the past,
but it doesn't take more than a few minutes and a reboot to complete.

Although I am tempted to make a repack , there's not much to add to the above instructions.

The steps not to be missed :
  • Selecting Out To MIDI Yoke: 1 as your MIDI Output Device from the MIDI menu
  • setting the MIDI drum channel
Apparently, the SAVIHost must be running all the time to hear the MIDI channel in ScummVM,
so the minor quibble is that a last step could have been proposed to turn it into a "daemon" .

The "enhancements" may not be obvious in DOS games, I'll check that out eventually.

Here's how my UI looks like (don't look down my pants, you perv) :
  • I used the GeneralUser GS v1.43 SoftSynth soundbank (about 30MB, there are FluidSynth and "Soundblaster" versions... nice !), which can be downloaded from S. Christian Collins web site
  • Effects were disabled and my Drum Channel was set to 128
  • If you tick Autosave plugin bank from the file menu, the program will save/load your soundbank automatically

Last edited by NewDeli; 07 December 2009 at 15:49.
Old 18 August 2009, 06:21   #77
laffer
Zone Friend

I don't know what I'd do without DosBox. It's fantastic, very easy to record videos from too.
Old 18 August 2009, 06:36   #78
NewDeli
Banned

To check the status of your MIDI settings in DosBOX :

Code:
mixer /listmidi
0 is the default channel

AdSense AdSense