English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 07 March 2009, 17:32   #21
DH
Global Moderator

@Retro
I was not aware of that, maybe Leytond got the ClassicWB lite version and that's why he's asking. Wouldn't it be better for him just to download the next version up but maybe not the Advanced version?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 07 March 2009, 17:33   #22
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

No, iirc he uses the ADV or ADVSP version.
Old 07 March 2009, 17:39   #23
DH
Global Moderator

Hmm. Can't understand why he's asking if he's already got it
Old 07 March 2009, 18:00   #24
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

He's probably asking because he is used to the normal Windows shut-down procedure & trying to exit Workbench before shutting down.

He'll be seeing a message that says two SCALOS items are still running so he can't quit yet every time he tries to exit.

Leyton, when you are ready to shut down, just wait for all HDD activity to finish & then switch the machine off...that's all there is to it

PZ.
Old 07 March 2009, 20:44   #25
exoticaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Drawing windows and file access was non blocking something that WB3.5 (and 3.9?) doesn't have.
Missed thit bit Alex, was going to have a go with 3.9 os with WinUAE if they go together. Maybe i'll have to take a look at scalos first.

With WinUAE i had initial problem with hdd lights, as this pc case doesn't show the amiga hdd light. Thought of amiga case light and thought Toni would of.. Yep Toni did think of it, and now the keyboard lights are for hdd floppy and dvd. As said above leytond wait for all hdd activity to stop first before powering down or doing a restart.
Old 07 March 2009, 22:53   #26
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
I`m not sure so can some1 correct me or clarify the point but is`t Bernd Roesch (afa_os) just a way of using true type fonts with wb, if it dose more plz tell
Old 10 March 2009, 15:32   #27
Madcrow

I'm planning on adding Scalos to my new WinUAE/OS 3.5 install and since this thread is here, I just figured I'd ask if I should go for the last stable version or spring right to the latest beta...
Old 10 March 2009, 19:45   #28
exoticaga

As the amiga isn't like the way pc do a setup. Do a quick copy of os drive as a backup. Then try it, if not like it or problems easy to revert.

Have a look at Toms homepage for amiga os setups. I had a look at 3.9 setup doesn't say which rom to use. But the 3.5 setup says 3.1 rom so issume that 3.9 os uses the same rom that is renamed.

Just had a look at clasic workbench P96 setup pics, looks nice. But then i like to set it up myself, learn something new along the way maybe for os 3.9.

Last edited by exoticaga; 10 March 2009 at 20:19.
Old 14 March 2009, 00:01   #29
prowler
Global Moderator

From the Scalos home page:
http://scalos.noname.fr/
"The long wait is over! Scalos V41.6 has been released!!
Download archives for AmigaOS 3.x/68K, AmigaOS 4.0/PPC, and MorphOS are available on the Downloads page."
http://scalos.noname.fr/downloads.php#beta
"Updated Scalos Developers' Pack for Scalos V41.6 is available for download on the Developers page!"
"Scalos translation kit has also been updated to V41.6 and can be found at the Developers page."
http://scalos.noname.fr/developers.php#archives

Old 22 March 2009, 12:07   #30
Eclipse
Turpentine

Quote:
Originally Posted by leytond View Post
well you have all lost me, lol,
You know how you can right click and get a list of actions in classicwb, or that it knows what an icon is and draws the relevant icon. That's scalos.
Old 22 March 2009, 12:52   #31
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
You know how you can right click and get a list of actions in classicwb.
Hi Eclipse,

That's the best feature of Scalos, IMHO.

prowler
Old 22 March 2009, 21:27   #32
rsn8887

Quote:
Originally Posted by leytond View Post
well you have all lost me, lol,
Here's my AFAIK on this:

In addition to the very nice context menus already mentioned, Scalos gives a host of extra preferences for your Workbench, especially for the color palettes, like the Workbench desktop background and the window background pictures, etc.

In addition, in Scalos, if you copy a file with using drag and drop, or if you open a folder and it takes a while for all the icons to appear, well, during these moments, you can STILL do other stuff. That is not possible with the original Amiga workbench.

I think it also improves the column display of files, and improves on other little display issues with icons and windows, but I am not so sure there.
Old 22 March 2009, 22:33   #33
Bloodwych

Scalos has so many cool features. As mentioned above, each process multitasks and so makes better use of the Amiga's abilities - less hour glass waiting moments.

Default icons can be fully customized; item sensitive popup menus (right clicking on disks, drawers, windows etc brings up different menus); disk icons can have default icons and window settings without the need for a disk.info; default icons can be made savable so you can snapshot those without .info files; information and general requesters are much more powerful and easier to use with tabs and gadgets; palettes can be set and colours fixed in place; backdrops better supported with more formats; plugin modules to sort drawers alphabetically, add titlebar clock etc....the list goes on.

An example can be seen on the ClassicWB site:

http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/features.htm

But that vid does need redoing as it's quite an old version now, missing the launch bar at the bottom.
AdSense AdSense