Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Fop View Post
I was drunk on Scotch when I typed that man
You go from strength to strength!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 13 March 2009, 03:40   #122
ImmortalA1000

It doesn't matter, as it is impossible to make a home computer at half the price of Apple that is 10 years more advanced in OS and hardware anymore.

That is what Amiga was, full colour realtime graphics with stereo sampled sound and a revolutionary multitasking desktop OS and GUI.

So we would need the most advanced OS that does the next best thing to Multitask (multitouch and speech recognition and impossible to get a virus on the internet?) running on hardware that even the Xbox 3 or Playstation 4 couldn't dream of beating for at least another half a century at half the price of the equivalent luxury PC or average Apple computer.

nah forget it, it's just a name now owned by some clowns lol
Old 13 March 2009, 19:07   #123
Predabot

How was that possible again, btw? If some German guy came up to me and said he had a small company that would be doing that in the next few months, I would probably have to hit him, really, really hard.

Since such a statement would simply be contrary to everything I know about computers today, an infeasibility that would be pretty much an afrontery to common sense.

So how where the original Amiga able to do it back in the day? I've never seen anyone explain this actually.

Where the speed of development and the accessibility for the public to new computer-tech different back in the mid-80's? And where the cost of manufacturing computer-chips also different?
Old 13 March 2009, 19:24   #124
Skope
Protracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
And Sony would cooperate in bringing an obsolete, widely unsupported OS hacked for barely fulfilling today's necessities to their flagship platform.

Only one question echoes furiously in the spectator's head:
Why???
Why would Sony have to cooperate in developing a hobbyist OS? They said nothing when Linux was ported to PS2, I would assume they would just do the same if some group of people made another OS available for their machine. Keyword here is hobbyist. Lots more people have a PS3 than there are people willing to chuck out insane money for a PPC mainboard, and if I understand correctly the PS3 is built around the PPC arch? If I had a PS3 and found out I could run Amiga OS on it, bet you ass I would. However, I'm never EVER gonna go out and buy a piece of crap PPC mainboard for $700 just so I could run OS4.
Old 14 March 2009, 00:22   #125
Madcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skope View Post
Why would Sony have to cooperate in developing a hobbyist OS? They said nothing when Linux was ported to PS2, I would assume they would just do the same if some group of people made another OS available for their machine. Keyword here is hobbyist. Lots more people have a PS3 than there are people willing to chuck out insane money for a PPC mainboard, and if I understand correctly the PS3 is built around the PPC arch? If I had a PS3 and found out I could run Amiga OS on it, bet you ass I would. However, I'm never EVER gonna go out and buy a piece of crap PPC mainboard for $700 just so I could run OS4.
They wouldn't have to cooperate if people just wanted it to use the same filtered bits of hardware that PS3 Linux uses. In order to use the stuff like the 3D hardware, however, their cooperation would be very much needed. Granted, a software renderer good enough to run all existing Amiga 3D games better than any 3D card with OS4 support wouldn't be TOO impossible to do with the SPUs (which 3rd party OSes are allowed to use), but it would be much cooler if the real abilities of the PS3 could be used.

Last edited by Madcrow; 14 March 2009 at 00:44.
Old 23 April 2009, 10:11   #126
Pyromania

More bizarre AI developments.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/...=28699&forum=4
Old 23 April 2009, 15:45   #127
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
Much ado about nothing is that thread.
Old 23 April 2009, 16:03   #128
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:

The link to that thread to me basically displays an overly paranoid moderator with more of a vested interest in Amiga Inc rather than being truly objective, which is more overbearing with his rhetoric of bullshit.

Fuck Amiga Inc, they do not deserve to live another minute and that is something i am sure we call ALL agree on here, except for that dick head moderator that performs the Lewinski on Bill at least once a month
Old 23 April 2009, 21:51   #129
amiga

Quote:
Amiga Inc. will die in the current bad economy? Opinions?

They recently lost their main financier due to death. Sorry to hear about that, it's never good when anyone dies. Our guess is that AI will die in the current bad climate that is the world economy. They have no compelling new products and have alienated the Amiga community for years. AA2 appears dead and the Win Mobile market it requires to survive is struggling against Nokia, iPhone, Blackberry & Google Andriod.

They'll die along with ALL the other parasites that prey on the amiga brand, ie. Hyperion, DiscreetFX, AmigaKit, etc... I'm sure there's others I can't remember right now.
Old 23 April 2009, 22:01   #130
Sensi
Unregistered User

Parasites? I am sure there are so many people who would throw their Amigas away without amigakit.
Old 10 May 2009, 14:51   #131
mdwh2

Quote:
And Sony would cooperate in bringing an obsolete, widely unsupported OS hacked for barely fulfilling today's necessities to their flagship platform.

Only one question echoes furiously in the spectator's head:
Why???
Or they could do what Apple did, and slap the Amiga name on a newer OS.
Old 12 May 2009, 20:41   #132
HenryCase

Quote:
As far as I remember, all that stuff was bought and kept by Gateway.... who has that now? Gateway has probably been absorbed by another company by now.,.

The current shit that goes by the name of Amiga Inc. now only nought the name (not Commodore name) and the OS, on the deal Gateway kept the Commodore hardware stuff.
Exactly. Amiga Inc have a non-expiring license (AFAIK) to use the Amiga trademarks and suchlike, but they don't own them outright. If they went under, ownership of Amiga trademarks and whatever else they own would probably go to Acer (the company that bought Gateway).
Old 12 May 2009, 21:46   #133
extralife

LOL, I see sony being mentioned alot here, I find that funy, since i fail to see the comparison between the ps3 and the amiga in any way, since the ps3 is a locked down and completely useless system as it is and the amiga was/is the exact opposite, a system with the freedom to do whatever u would like to do. to me the amiga was allways a hobby computer where u could experiment, show off and have fun doing whatever u would be tinkering with, I have not seen any "new" systems offering the same freedom, so why people are so hooked on wanting amiga os on a ps3 is strange to me
Old 12 May 2009, 22:22   #134
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi View Post
Parasites? I am sure there are so many people who would throw their Amigas away without amigakit.
Are you nuts? Of course you are, it's Sensi

A bog standard miggy with some ram would do me just fine...
Old 05 November 2009, 22:08   #135
viddi

A dream comes true:

http://www.amiga.com/

Old 05 November 2009, 22:12   #136
TCD

Thanks for the info viddi
Old 05 November 2009, 22:27   #137
antonvaltaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Thanks for the info viddi
Oh, I only have access to my rubbish mobile phone browser at the mo which won't load that up... What does it say? Spill the beans!
Old 05 November 2009, 22:27   #138
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by viddi View Post
A dream comes true:

http://www.amiga.com/

Can I do the Deathbed Vigil Part II please?
Old 05 November 2009, 22:27   #139
TCD

@antonvaltaz
'Page not found'
Old 05 November 2009, 22:33   #140
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

Deathbed Vigil Part II is done...

AdSense AdSense