English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 February 2009, 14:24   #21
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Dunno about that. Half Life 2, Elder Scrolls (Morrowind/Oblivion), World of War Craft, Eve online etc. etc. far more immersive than anything in the past. These games can eat your life if you let them.
My point here is not total but in MANY respects, i was applying social theory and philosophical BS in typical BS academic fashion. Yes they are immersive but not sure that is due in its entirety to graffix or social aspects, a lot i believe can be a generational and cultural thing - I have played all these obsessively myself, even when alone on silent servers when it comes to WoW, an Conan. I am obsessive when it comes to my games, and 8 bit and 16 bit games have eaten just as much, if not more, of my life than more modern gen ones do currently. In fact I have been playing miggy games a lot more than anything else since xmass. what a geek with a bad hangover

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewPee70 View Post
Can I have funding for RCM instead? At least that would benefit a wider audience?
My thoughts are schools, universities etc . . . I have already been approached by a couple of secondary schools in my area about doing a display of some sort as retro computers and older systems are now part of their curriculum.

Sorry - back on topic now . . .

lol, I am in need of funding to play games too. Pubs games and beer funding I will come and help set up for next event and can help in any way you want Drewp. I think what you are doing is very important - more important than the above university project if you ask me

Last edited by pubzombie; 15 February 2009 at 22:49. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 February 2009, 16:20   #22
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

But you've got to admit that racing games are the perfect example where the online games have increased immersion.

Playing your mates when they are not allowed round, playing with Player Characters rather than non-player characters really makes a difference in terms of challenges and variation when playing which adds longevity to games (as long as the servers are running that is!)
Old 15 February 2009, 16:50   #23
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
But you've got to admit that racing games are the perfect example where the online games have increased immersion.

Playing your mates when they are not allowed round, playing with Player Characters rather than non-player characters really makes a difference in terms of challenges and variation when playing which adds longevity to games (as long as the servers are running that is!)

I see your point. But I do miss multiplayer games when you have to be with the person you are playing with or against. Pitstop2 and Bruce Lee and Alien Breed used to keep me and my mates happy for hours - and still do know I have a miggy running again and a gp2x. I play a lot of games with my best mate from school who is also my next door neighbour (we are destined to never grow up, total bad influence on each other) and even now when we play modern games such as warcraft we end up taking machines round each other house and play in the same room - its just so much more fun. we had a 36hour game of Cossacks once, when we were undergraduates, total barmyness, i reduced him to tears in a crushing victory made worse for him by sleep and nicoteen deprivation. We still laff about it whenever we netwotk our systems and its the sort of thing I miss with internet only play. He uterly trashes me on sensible soccer though
Old 15 February 2009, 19:57   #24
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Whenever you see something that seems to make very little sense, all you have to do is ask 'Where's the money?'.

I'm (sadly) looking forward to all the dedicated hard work of the many retro preservation and emulation projects being ripped-off, then shut down by 'legal owners' for a fast buck...
...followed by the total loss this computer history once any profit has been drained from things-retro. Dropped without any thought for future preservation.
Old 15 February 2009, 20:27   #25
TCD

I hope you're wrong Charlie, but there's certainly something fishy about it. 4 million Euro is quite some money to 'just' create an universal emulator. Since there are many open sourced emulators out there I guess they will 'borrow' a lot from them. Well only time will tell...
Old 15 February 2009, 22:30   #26
DrewPee70
RetroComputerMuseum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
I am in need of funding to play games too. Pubs games and beer funding I will come and help set up for next event and can help in any way you want Drewp. I think what you are doing is very important - more important than the above university project if you ask me
LOL! Thanks mate - I will speak to you about this soon!
Old 15 February 2009, 22:52   #27
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
I hope you're wrong Charlie, but there's certainly something fishy about it. 4 million Euro is quite some money to 'just' create an universal emulator. Since there are many open sourced emulators out there I guess they will 'borrow' a lot from them. Well only time will tell...
is this 'new' emulator going to be open source? if not then there is something to worry about. wish i could press a button and scupper it for them
Old 15 February 2009, 22:57   #28
TCD

Quote:
is this 'new' emulator going to be open source? if not then there is something to worry about. wish i could press a button and scupper it for them
Pretty sure it will not be open source. What I meant is that they will use open source stuff to make it.
Oh and I like your 'press a button' idea
Old 15 February 2009, 23:06   #29
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Pretty sure it will not be open source. What I meant is that they will use open source stuff to make it.
Oh and I like your 'press a button' idea

is there a legal way of stopping open source being used to make closed source? If they succeed could they damage our ability to have adf's etc. that are easy to download and damage existing archives and things like TOSEC? in short could they stop our free fun and make people pay? would/could it damage future projects like the Pandora and other open source things?
sorry for so many questions I am just chucking them up in the air because I know very little about legal things. I am going to see if I can get the inside snoop on this.
a legal button or just a plain old normal sc**w you button would be cool
Old 15 February 2009, 23:15   #30
TCD

I really don't know what they are up to after they made the emulator and 'preserved' the software of the old machines. I really hope they only do it for preservation purposes only, but I doubt they do. There's too little info about it right now, so we really have to wait...
Of course it's not legal to use open source without written permission in a closed source commercial app, but guess they won't wave a flag with 'We use open source' on it
Old 15 February 2009, 23:33   #31
paranoid
Phone Zen

Quote:
is there a legal way of stopping open source being used to make closed source?
It depends on the way the open source license is worded. But understand that open/closed source is different from freeware or public domain versus commercial. To use an example, MAME is open source in that you can download the source code, look at it, modify it if you choose, and compile it into a working executable. One of the benefits is that anyone can contribute. What you can't do is take MAME and say you are the only author, nor can you take MAME and sell it. If they reached an agreement, this university project could use MAME as a part of their emulator, but I can't imagine that agreement would also allow them to sell it.

The university not releasing the source (making it open source) is something else entirely.

Quote:
If they succeed could they damage our ability to have adf's etc. that are easy to download and damage existing archives and things like TOSEC?
That's already a legal gray issue anyway, to put it mildly. At most, I could see, were it to gain more popularity than current emulators and got to be somewhat mainstream, it might attract publishers who would try to protect their games more than they do now. (i.e. right now, Ocean (or, if it doesn't exist anymore, whoever owns their property) may not care or feel the need to go after people that download Batman: The Caped Crusader because it's just a few people with emulators.. With a more mainstream university project, perhaps they'd be more inclined. Having said that, I don't see this project gaining more popularity than emulators do now.)

Short answer, the possibility exists, but probably wouldn't affect anything.

The legality does bring up an issue I wonder if these university people even thought of. Emulators are completely legal, like say, WinUAE. But you need to go to Cloanto for a legal Kickstart ROM or dump one you already own. Same with all emulators. Plus, the games still hold their copyright. At most, this university could create an emulator that does nothing -- unless the person using it already owns the games they claim aren't being archived.
Old 16 February 2009, 00:19   #32
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
Short answer, the possibility exists, but probably wouldn't affect anything.
Fingers crossed then matey.
AdSense AdSense