English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 April 2002, 00:58   #1
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Evil grin If you could....Would you.....

If you had the power to erase all the post Amiga technical advances made in gaming, would you?
Would you prefer it if the games industry hadnt moved on at all from the 16bit days (and never would), and the Amiga and its rivals were still alive and supported?
Im guessing that a lot of you would choose this scenario given the opportunity, but why? and if not, why not?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 April 2002, 01:04   #2
blackcornflake

Nah.

I wouldn't be able to play Mario Tennis (N64).
Old 19 April 2002, 01:12   #3
oldpx

Hmm, the results would be very unpredictable, I prefer to remain neutral on that one.

Old 19 April 2002, 01:16   #4
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

@Burseg
*does chicken impression*
C'mon stop sittin on the fence.
Old 19 April 2002, 01:20   #5
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
without progress we wouldn't have Amiga emulation, and thats a REAL bad thing, i now have more Amiga stuff than i had back in the day.

i really like playing stuff like UT online aswell.

so i think with emulation you can have the best of both worlds!!
Old 19 April 2002, 01:24   #6
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

@Djay
Ill take that as a NO then.
(I think I should have made this a yes/no poll)

Is it possible for a MOD to turn this thread into a poll after its been started? (just thought Id ask)

Last edited by Dastardly; 19 April 2002 at 01:35.
Old 19 April 2002, 01:26   #7
oldpx

Ok you convinced me

I don't think 16 bit era would last forever, Amiga would be alive or maybe commodore and even Atari as well, but as long as there is competition, they'd eventually be searching for something grander. That would be 3d or something else, maybe we would see greater advancements in 2d that we cannot think of today.

But if I had the power to make 16 bit era live forever, I would not use that power for I would be looking for something grander as well. It's just human nature. I would like to see Amiga alive this day but it should have been advanced in "some" ways. Getting stuck in past is not a wise thing and it's commodore's mistake.

I would love to see an AAA amiga. (post A4000) Amiga's path of advancement was very promising back then. I still would like to see a new amiga unlike many people on eab. But I am strictly against AmigaOne because it's the same old shit that we have on PCs today. Amiga should always be a fresh, useful and an advanced computer and it should be a total alternative to the idea of personal computing we have today.

Last edited by Burseg; 19 April 2002 at 01:31.

Old 19 April 2002, 01:41   #8
blackcornflake

OK, serious response.

Personally I wouldn't freeze hardware development at 16-bit level. The commercial life of any given platform or technology is one thing, but the room for innovation on that platform is surely only finite.

When the 16-bit machines first came in, the 8-bit market was still healthy. Users were still happy with the things that could be done with their machines, still bought games. Game developers were still squeezing more out of the machines; sometimes technically, sometimes in the realm of originality.

But inevitably, the extra scope 16-bit provided was realised more and more, leaving 8-bit looking limited by comparison. Things appeared on 16-bit that were just plain impossible to achieve, no matter what, on 8-bit. Bigger worlds, better AI, smoother scrolling, whatever.

I surmise that the same argument applies to 16-bit versus 32, 64, 128...

Extra capabilities equate to extra possibilities. In the right hands.

Not all the great games that could have been written for Amiga (or ST even) have been written, but the same could be said for the C64. Nothing to stop someone using that machine well tomorrow.

The gaming world (as a whole) seems to push for new frontiers all the time, good or bad. While the majority seem content with 'new' equating to another RTS quite similar to the last RTS, or a racer with a few more polygons thrown in, true advancement comes along less frequently, when someone with vision truly innovates.

One thing never seems to change, no matter how many bits - the majority of game output is unimaginative crap!
Old 19 April 2002, 09:44   #9
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

There is not really anything intrinsically wrong with bumping up the MHz, resolution, etc. of the hardware. The problem is really the software, and the fact that the faster hardware lets lamers get away with coding crap sluggish bloatware. Also they seem to want to make everything in bloody 3D, which is irritating and disorientating.

But with this fast hardware we should be never having to wait for anything to load, etc. But even a 1Ghz Wintel box takes minutes to boot up, longer than a 1981 IBM-PC took to boot up!

As soon as the hardware gets faster, that is taken as an excuse to write bloatware. Windows is *ridiculously* slow, so are most programs written for it. If it was run on a realistic-speed computer, eg. 14MHz or so, this would show quite clearly :-) People would not use such a crap OS, they would say, "Much too slow" (and it's buggy, etc. too of course) and would switch to something which could offer reasonable performance. It's not just speed, I could say much the same about hard drive space requirements or whatever.

They would get more people to upgrade if people believed that the EFFECTIVE speed of their system would increase. But they know that Microfilth will just make another version of Windows that it just as bad as the last one, but twice as many bugs and half as fast, taking twice the megabytes (or should that be gigabytes by now :-) ) every year or two. They are in cahoots with Intel to drive the rapid upgrade cycle. It's not even like they are adding any features to Windows that are worth using, is it! None I can think of...

I suspect that is one of the reasons why many of us like retrogaming, it's FAST. Because when those were written people actually valued having something that was fast.

Once cable modems are more widespread you will see many webpages start to bloat too...

So for example there's a 233MHz machine and it is considered slow. Because the software that is run on it is inefficient. The proper solution is not to throw out that equipment and waste yet more money on a 10GHz system, the solution is to run software that is efficient.

VERY little software that is efficiently written should need more than a few Mb. Emulation does require a fair bit of CPU horsepower admittedly, but then there are efficient (eg. Bleem, Fellow) and inefficient (eg. WinUAE, Handy) emulators just like any other software.

If you want some examples of very tightly written software, and of very bloatishly written software, I could come up with lots, but I'm sure you could too :-)
Old 19 April 2002, 10:43   #10
jmmijo

But isn't this always the case Pyro? It comes down to the software that is available for said platform. I really get a kick outta calling DVD's software to people at Suncoast or Freddy's, watch the sales persons face make uncontrollable twitches as they attempt to decipher your encrypted message to their poor pathetic grey cells :laugh
AdSense AdSense