English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 April 2002, 11:18   #1
Big-Byte
Long time member

X-Box dropped in price in UK already!!

Just seen this on the news....

Xbox will drop from £299 to £199

I still not going to get one though. The only thing that will convince me to buy one is if Mame gets released on it - Then I would make my own arcade cabinet and stick it in that.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 April 2002, 11:35   #2
blackcornflake

That is a big reduction. Wasn't it supposed to be a loss leader anyway, with market share and (hnnng) brand loyalty rather than profit the aim?

Good idea though, with Gamecube around the corner. Methinks the number of X-Box owners is set to jump.

All those early adopters will now feel rather sick about paying £300 though, surely? Hehe!
Old 18 April 2002, 12:10   #3
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

This is the act of a desperate man. A £100 price cut is pretty damn dramatic. M$ will get your business one way or the other. All they need is that damn box in your home. Even if the units are FREE!

Hopefully the UK is smart enough to go for quality over desperation...
Old 18 April 2002, 14:21   #4
LaundroMat

Quote:
Originally posted by blackcornflake
All those early adopters will now feel rather sick about paying £300 though, surely? Hehe!
They'll get two games & a controller for free.
Old 18 April 2002, 14:54   #5
Dizzy
Pirate

Guess next step will be that sony drop the price on playstation2 50£.
seen it all before when the war were between Sega and Sony (remember who lost that one )
Bill Gates is crap.
Old 18 April 2002, 18:31   #6
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I STILL wont buy an XBox. Its doomed plain and simple, and Im just not gonna waste my money.
Anyone who's bought more than a few 'games machines' could see this coming a mile off.
Microsoft are panicing. They tried to copy the Playstation strategy and failed. The market cannot be sewn up twice.
Its been out here (UK) for 5 mins and already such a huge price cut? Anybody smell fear?
Old 19 April 2002, 01:27   #7
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Here's my thoughts on this subject, the X-Box just isn't cool enough for the rest of the world.

The reason for the false sense of security M$ had is because of the US based success, which I think is largely because of American's preference to buy American goods over other countries. They don't have this benefit in the rest of the world and it's been a huge flop.

This price cut, coming only a few weeks after it's release, sends out all the wrong signals to me.

Fear maybe, my guess is M$'s money men just plain fucked up, the over estimated on the demand for the X-Box because of the inflated, patriotic American sales.

The X-Box might have been a success if it was released by another company ie Sony/Nintendo/Sega, but M$ don't have a clue, that much is clear from news of this price cut so early after it's release.

BTW I'm in no way implying that American's prefering American goods is wrong because it isn't, OK
Old 19 April 2002, 08:18   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
The reason for the false sense of security M$ had is because of the US based success, which I think is largely because of American's preference to buy American goods over other countries. They don't have this benefit in the rest of the world and it's been a huge flop.
Mind you, there is a sector of the US population that caters to this mentality of buying American because it is American. The more intelligent amongst us just buys the better product. My take on it is that if American companies want my money, they're just going to have to make a superior product. I have never cared for US games software and have always found the Europeans to be more imaginative and to use their resources more wisely. I learned this shortly after getting my first A500. Then I learned that UK gaming magazines were also superior to the toilet paper rags the US was churning out. US mags were filled with so much nonsense and a game would get favorable reviews simply in exchange for advertising $. Plus the writing was/is humorless (erm...humourless!)

Americans also tend to spend their money a bit more foolishly on things like this (game consoles). They are also more vulnerable (or susceptible) to believing hype. I know this is a generalization again, but that is a given (heck, I am an American and I'm certainly not bagging on myself here!)

Just my view...
Old 19 April 2002, 08:21   #9
Drake1009

I liked the japanese console games though. For some reason they had a special feel to it.
Old 19 April 2002, 20:21   #10
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost

Mind you, there is a sector of the US population that caters to this mentality of buying American because it is American. The more intelligent amongst us just buys the better product.
I think the same can be said of people here (England), although I think the rest of Britain (Scotland/Wales and N Ireland) would actually buy anything BUT English out of spite
*Boo hiss the English bad guys*
Old 19 April 2002, 20:28   #11
kriz

ohh bad stuff This is just another move by the "taking over the world with bad products" giant MicrSoft ..

This is gonna make a lot of people buy the console just because of the price reduction ..
damn, i dont want more of this MS shit ..

why do people buy/support them ???
Old 19 April 2002, 20:33   #12
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by kriz
ohh bad stuff
This is gonna make a lot of people buy the console just because of the price reduction ..
No I dont think so. It could actually have the opposite effect.
It sends out all the wrong signals IMO and I would have thought Microsoft would know this.
No matter what the price though, I just dont think it ever stood a chance of competing with such a strong brand as the Playstation.
All the money in the world isnt always enough.
Old 19 April 2002, 21:43   #13
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Which brings me to what I was trying to say earlier (Before another thought came into my head and I got sidetracked)

The PSX/PS2 are just to cool, if you can make it cool for 20+ to talk about video games (Which wasn't the case with the SNES/16 bit era) you got the battle licked.

In my opinion the X-Box is not and never will be cool enough to defeat the PS2.

With the X-Box failed everywhere except the USA and not a roaring success there, what's next for Micro$oft, who would like to hazard a guess??
Old 20 April 2002, 00:11   #14
ethylene

Send a message via ICQ to ethylene Send a message via AIM to ethylene Send a message via MSN to ethylene Send a message via Yahoo to ethylene
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
With the X-Box failed everywhere except the USA and not a roaring success there, what's next for Micro$oft, who would like to hazard a guess??
Hmm... I think right now they're going to start pushing their wireless home LAN stuff, bigtime. They just had their WinHEC show and that was what they were hyping up. WinXP has Bluetooth support built-in, I hear, and I'd guess that Microsoft is going to be trying to ride Bluetooth through Christmas this year.

Quote:
I have never cared for US games software and have always found the Europeans to be more imaginative and to use their resources more wisely.
Yes, I think so, too. Seems like all females in US videogames are scantily clad with a bitchy attitude. And all males are egotistical badasses with big guns.

It's probably not all games that are like that, but too damn many. US games seem to rely on the 'attitude' factor too much. European games, in general, seem to rely more on 'style' and 'atmosphere'. Developers on both continents sometimes forget that games should rely on 'game'. But I'd take style and atmosphere over attitude any day. I'm more of an intellectual than a badass, though. The marketing guys are not stupid, as we sometimes imagine them. Money talks, sex sells, and nice guys finish last.

Of course, a little of everything happens all over the globe...

Two US games I really like:

Star Control II (PC)
Fallout (PC)

I haven't played any recent games, I'm hopelessly nostalgic.
Old 20 April 2002, 00:24   #15
Zeewolf

Quote:
I think the same can be said of people here (England), although I think the rest of Britain (Scotland/Wales and N Ireland) would actually buy anything BUT English out of spite
Dastardly what a horrible thing to say, we're not that petty!!:hoo

Are we?

Nah we're not that bad!!

Anything else but games maybe!!

Old 20 April 2002, 16:53   #16
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I heard through the grapevine that M$ is going after the PDA market in a big way...
Old 20 April 2002, 17:25   #17
Pyromania

Quote:
I heard through the grapevine that M$ is going after the PDA market in a big way...
Bill Gates wife has wanted this market for a long time and I think that M$ is very mad that the Palm Pilot has been kicking their ass for a long time in this market even though they have put tons of money and resources in Windows CE. Microsoft is still failing in this market and they have made some desperate moves like.

1. Made Windows CE open-source, very limited license if you use the code though.

2. Renamed product several times from WindowsCE powered devices, Handheld PC, PocketPC.

3. Give tons of money to PDA developers.

They have made some inroads but they are up against the "standard" in this case it is Palm OS. Sure Palm Os sucks and Newton was there first but the Palm Pilot has always been dirt-cheap and it has sold millions. Palm knows their OS is Sh*t though that is why they bought BeOS. The battle will continue to be interesting. Although I am a Palm shareholder I don't own a Palm Pilot, maybe one day when it is better. I am still looking for the ultimate PDA my current ones are.

Newton 130 & 2100 (Cool PDA still use heavy).

EPOC based Diamond PDA (Light use).

Windows CE based HP Jornada (Never use it).

This PDA battle that M$ and Palm are having will continue to be interesting. Word from an ex-Apple employee is that when M$ gave Apple $150 Million dollars and a new version of MS Office Mac they requested the Newton’s death. The Newton 2100 was picking up steam and selling very well at the time. If you don’t like Newton’s blame Harv Laser he got me hooked on them. I still await the birth of the ultimate PDA.

Last edited by Pyromania; 20 April 2002 at 17:38.
Old 20 April 2002, 19:06   #18
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Question

My question is how will the developers who sided with publishng first or exclusively with Xbox feel?
As for the price drops,this is a deliberate attempt to take out Nintendo before it has a chance to get firmly established.
Old 20 April 2002, 22:29   #19
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

More likely it's due to the fact that the X-Box has been a huge flop and is being outsold by the PS2, even though the PS2 has been out for over a year.

Nintendo don't even come into the equation yet and I think the Gamecube is going to have the same problem. Time will tell I suppose.

As for the devolopers, I can see them crying into their beers, saying "Why did we turn away millions of sales for this piece of shit".
Old 21 April 2002, 01:04   #20
Drake1009

I think the gamecube will take off better than the X-box mostly because Nintendo is a more known name in consoles known for stability. Microsoft is more known for software and especially crashes and slowness.

As far as I've read here and there the Gamecube should also be able to give better graphics than the X-box so people who are attracted to the graphics might go for that. And one reason the PS2 still sells so well apart from games being developed which people want would be the built in DVD play function whereas for you to play DVDs in the X-box you have to buy an upgrade (Who said Plus pack??)
AdSense AdSense