English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 26 January 2009, 23:46   #1
pubzombie

Amiga emu on gp2x

Hi Guys,
not sure where i should post this so sorry in a advance if its in the wrong place.

I was just wondering if any of you emulate amiga games on the gp2x or other hand-helds. I love my gp2x but i am sure its dying and and on is last legs, and the forum on emu over at gp2x has gone pretty quiet as of late. I am waiting to replace it with a Pandora but the wait is endless.
so just wondering what hand-helds you chaps use and what you enjoy playing on them. On my gp2x i have four different set-ups of miggy emulators with different kickroms and different tweaks but still find running games a hit and miss affair. just wondered what you guys might be doing?
cheers
Pz
AdSense AdSense  
Old 27 January 2009, 00:39   #2
Akira

Move over to the PSP.
Old 27 January 2009, 01:19   #3
pubzombie

so what is so good about the psp? never even held one. does it play loads of amiga games? the psp games look pappy

Last edited by pubzombie; 28 January 2009 at 01:10.
Old 27 January 2009, 01:28   #4
Photon

Well, after some (great!) on-and-off development, sadly the devs seemed to have favored the greater userbase of the PSP, despite its screen and joystick. If some of the devs had liked their GP2x and kept at it, Amiga emus on GP2x had been much better off. But they were few, so there seem none left.

I offered to code on some parts, but the project was handed to another dev and I got no response. AFAIK (haven't checked #gp2xdev in a while), noone works on either of the emus anymore.

The big issue is that enough time hasn't been spent on making various standard trackloaders work properly.

Apart from that, the Amiga custom chip timings are much harder than most (all?) other platforms to emulate. But the big problem is the "cracktro loads with trackdisk device, click mouse and game trackloader fails to load game". :P

I'm sure you've read about different "cpu-chip bias settings", and for quite a few games there is a cracked disk image that works.

One way to work around it could be to implement a harddisk unit in the emus, then the HD-installable games should load fine. But the emu must then emulate Workbench etc correctly.

If loaders fail because of the emu code not being able to implement the disk timing fast enough, it might work better on the twice as fast GP2x Wiz. Best thing would be to check if Wiz users have had better luck first, though.

In my experience, even though many Amiga emus are more developed than on the GP2x, nothing comes close to WinUAE. I have to try very hard to make a game fail on it, whereas the others have a substantial failure rate.
Old 27 January 2009, 01:36   #5
lilalurl
T32

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Here is a thread that might be of interest for you: PSP vsGP2x.

I only have a DS so I don't have an 'enlightened' opinion on things

However I have been following the Pandora development from afar and I am really enthusiastic about it (waiting to see how the first batch works and then will probably be amongst the first to pre-order for the second batch) so I would tend to advise you to wait for it.

Notably I remember some people on their forums thinking that depending on how much cycles the Pandora can output for the dosbox port (and therefore emulates up to a 486 rahter than a 386) it might be a good solution to use the amiga version of the games of that era.

Add to that a full keyboard for text input and a touchscreen for mouse clicking emulation and you'll have a pretty decent emulation environment.

However, I suppose PSPUAE use a virtual keyboard (as does ScummVM DS) and use the analog stick to emulate the mouse.

So maybe in the end it depends on what games you play and how much in a hurry you are.
If you mainly enjoy A500 arcade-style games, you could probably go with the PSP.
If you want some AGA games, maybe use the workbench and some applications (if I remember correctly I read someone suggested the possible use of Final Writer/Copy through emulation as a word processor solution for the Pandora), it might be better to wait and see how things fare on the Pandora.

And well, if you get one of the first batch, please post comments here, I'll be very interested.
Old 27 January 2009, 01:51   #6
Akira

The PSP has a similar CPU to the GP2X and porting of apps seems easy. And he machine is faster, has more RAM, bigger display, plus others!

I like it a lot for all homebrew, it's widely available today unlike the Pandora (vapour)ware or a GP2X, and it's cheap
Old 27 January 2009, 02:51   #7
pubzombie

Amiga needs keyboard needs mouse = touch screen = pandora

in my very humbled opinion

i cant code but i love games

waiting for pandora
Old 27 January 2009, 03:27   #8
Akira

Games don't need a keyboard.
Old 27 January 2009, 04:51   #9
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL Send a message via Skype™ to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Well, after some (great!) on-and-off development, sadly the devs seemed to have favored the greater userbase of the PSP, despite its screen and joystick. If some of the devs had liked their GP2x and kept at it, Amiga emus on GP2x had been much better off. But they were few, so there seem none left.
Well I would'nt have said PSP had a bigger user base as such. Plus Gnostic was making ground on UAE2x, but real life took priority and sadly that emu died.
I have done the best I can with PSPUAE, as all the other devs left. I remember over at the gp2x boards, they acussed me of stealing devs. I found this rather amusing as we were only sharing code that whould help each others projects.

I think its quite good, as its very compatable and runs atleast 80% of games decent with some config tweaking.

Im also interested to see how it turns out on the Pandora, shame they didnt release a preview with sound.

Give PSPUAE an asm core and it will be faster than uae4all gp2x. Even PSPUAE Fame C is slightly faster than the uae4all gp2x Fame C version.
Old 27 January 2009, 09:45   #10
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Games don't need a keyboard.
Guess when you're in an Infocom mood, you'll change that sentence
Old 27 January 2009, 19:27   #11
Akira

I'll use a computer for that xD
Old 27 January 2009, 19:53   #12
TCD

Okay, okay
Given that they almost cost the same, I would also say that PZ should go for the PSP
Old 27 January 2009, 21:08   #13
pubzombie

Thanks guys. I have got really peeved waiting for the Pandora - though i shouldn't be as I predicted a long wait. My little bro has a PSP that he hardly ever uses so I will see if he will lend it me for a while. I do need a keyboard though because i like playing strategy games and early flight sims. Do any hand held emulators support USB keyboard? cheers
PZ
Old 27 January 2009, 22:07   #14
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
Thanks guys. I have got really peeved waiting for the Pandora - though i shouldn't be as I predicted a long wait. My little bro has a PSP that he hardly ever uses so I will see if he will lend it me for a while. I do need a keyboard though because i like playing strategy games and early flight sims. Do any hand held emulators support USB keyboard? cheers
PZ
PSPUAE doesnt have wireless keyboard support yet.

We have to make do with the OSK it has. Is your brothers PSP hacked to M33 Custom Firmware?
Old 27 January 2009, 22:12   #15
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
PSPUAE doesnt have wireless keyboard support yet.

We have to make do with the OSK it has. Is your brothers PSP hacked to M33 Custom Firmware?
hacked ? i doubt he even knows what that means. I have a load of Game points saved up I may go and get one myself. If I get a new one do I need to hack it? and what does that entail?
thanx for your time
Pz
Old 27 January 2009, 22:34   #16
Akira

It;s a very easy thing to put custom firmware on your PSP.
Just make sure you don't get one of the latest ones, an early Slim or Phat will work fine.
Old 27 January 2009, 23:02   #17
pubzombie

ok will check out the resales section or erobber. Why not get a new slim?
Old 27 January 2009, 23:06   #18
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
ok will check out the resales section or erobber. Why not get a new slim?
Cause the newer slims and even newer version of PSP (PSP3000) are not hackable at this current time.

Why do you need it hacked, well simply put sony stop you from running your own code. If you hack it, then you can use what ever you wnt on it.
Old 27 January 2009, 23:27   #19
pubzombie

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Cause the newer slims and even newer version of PSP (PSP3000) are not hackable at this current time.

Why do you need it hacked, well simply put sony stop you from running your own code. If you hack it, then you can use what ever you wnt on it.
aahhh ok. so i need it hackable to run emulation in the first place. thanks again guys.
Bah Sony ! its typical there is always somebody trying to stop us having fun. and its usually somebody with loads a money who wants more money. its one reason why I supported the gp2x - it was open source

ok guys I am looking on ebay for an original release PSP? _ The PSP 'Classic' lol

Last edited by pubzombie; 27 January 2009 at 23:51.
Old 28 January 2009, 00:35   #20
Akira

PSP Clasic (a.k.a. Phat) will work fine.
You might need a Pandora battery too, though, but that's easy to make or get.

BUT that's for another forum....
Continue here -> http://www.psp-hacks.com/
AdSense AdSense