English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 January 2009, 23:33   #41
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Reviving Amiga? No. Doing it like the Amiga? Hell yeah!

Asides from the technical aspects, what was Amiga all about? It was up to date, entertaining and an overall good package for a reasonable price. You hadn't to spend a fortune and never felt like having missed something important. (I can remember buying my first PC after the Amiga. It had no soundcard!) The system's design was modern and elegant. That's the way to do it, if you want to do it in the spirit of rock lobster:
Be innovative, modern and complete. Do not try to be elitist, but different. Start from scratch and give priority to reason over tradition.

Apple shows the way, but is elitist, expensive and still too conservative.
<dream-mode>
If Commodore came back and asked me how to do it, then the modern Amiga would come as a notebook with OLED display and a flash-hdd. It would be a many multicore processor like Cell and a highly programmable graphics card like intel larrabee. The OS would be innovative. Something in the tradition of Plan9 and Hurd. UAE would be preinstalled.
</dream-mode>

Oh yeah, that would be cool (but frankly quite unrealistic ).
AdSense AdSense  
Old 12 January 2009, 10:28   #42
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

hmmm more of a dream than actual reality but it would need to be;

Ful classic compatible (add-on card with OCS/ECS/AGA chipset onboard capable and able to switch between either for full compatibility)

68060/68030/68040/68020/68000 for above... we could stick the lot on a full size Zorro board... (I bet it would fit too!)

Main board would be able to run OS4 for using Internet and what have you...

HAS to be computer in a keyboard otherwise it's just another PC.

EDIT: Is Gilgamesh a character from Startrek TNG? Sure I've heard that name before!

Last edited by Paul_s; 12 January 2009 at 10:33.
Old 12 January 2009, 12:40   #43
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

You know what i would like too ?
Great 2D games, not only 3D.
Old 12 January 2009, 12:52   #44
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
EDIT: Is Gilgamesh a character from Startrek TNG? Sure I've heard that name before!
[OT]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_of_Gilgamesh
[/OT]
Old 12 January 2009, 22:52   #45
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga View Post
Stop dreaming folks!
You know it'll never happen (a new Amiga); it's not 1985 anymore!

Now, go back to your Win/Mac/Linux machines; they're better than nothing at all!
you can do that if you wish but I'm going back to my 1200
Old 13 January 2009, 17:22   #46
Sensi
Unregistered User

There will be no new Amiga. Accept it. Your Bill, kiss kiss.
Old 13 January 2009, 17:59   #47
extralife

LOL! grumpy stingray
Old 20 January 2009, 20:39   #48
WizardNumberNex

A new Amiga?? - of course st like A5000

Of course - its should be like A5000, but a lot more powerfull.

So:
MC68060 al 3GHz, but w/ 68882, not this emulated scrapy FPU (9core)
PowerPC G5 3GHz (w/ x86 (786 AMD), m68k (68060 & 68882) !native!) (9core)
Something like numa (seperate memory for each processor)
?SUPER? AGA?3D? w/ features like 3dfx V4 (VSA-100, SLI etc)
Creative SB X-Fi - most powerfull one
it should be at least 4 m86k & 4 ppc inside DDR3 or even DDR5
memory controller integrated inside every CPU

It should beat any super-hiper QUAD in MP(x8) (of course Intel, AMD isn't beatable)

It's my vision, but this very expensive vision.

Old 20 January 2009, 22:33   #49
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenwoods View Post
what kind of features would you like to see? What would make you buy it instead of a PC or a Console..or at least make it as worth as buying it along the side of other products?
I would like it to evaporate as soon as it's created.
"nouveau Amiga" stuff you have a-plenty, look at all that efika/etc garbage. Just choose one! It's your "new Amiga"

WinUAE is the new Amiga ;D
Old 21 January 2009, 01:58   #50
NovaCoder

There are already 2 new machines, the MiniMig and the SAM440.

Quote:
what kind of features would you like to see? What would make you buy it instead of a PC or a Console..or at least make it as worth as buying it along the side of other products?
What I would like to see is for them both to be properly marketed, priced and branded (as in Amiga). I'd like to be able to go to the Amiga website and be able to customize and then order my built-up, os pre-installed Amiga at a reasonable price....is that too much to hope for

I would like to see the MiniMig 'grow' to include AGA support and be marketed as a retro machine in a classic style mini-case.

I would like to see the SAM to grow into a fast, stable and supported (alternative) platform.
Old 21 January 2009, 11:15   #51
Christian
Zone Friend

Well to be the quantum leap the original Amiga was back in the day....

Hmmm I dunno, 3D holographic display or something? :P
(and be able to run at least Windows software of course)
(and under $1000)

Otherwise it would be boring and ignored
Old 21 January 2009, 15:00   #52
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

Send a message via Skype™ to PWLM
The only thing I would want is full backward compatibility, unlike DirectX or PS3. Why shouldn't I be able to play Interceptor or Virus just because the hardware is new? And a series of adaptors to plug-and-play original hardware add-ons like floppy drives and decent switched joysticks...
Old 21 January 2009, 19:35   #53
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWLM View Post
The only thing I would want is full backward compatibility, unlike DirectX or PS3.
The classic Amiga broke with traditions. A successor should do so, too. UAE maintains backward compatibility, anyway.
Old 22 January 2009, 05:23   #54
Theformula

My unrealistic dream

Amiga Inc to support projects like whdload and create some kind of legal store (like itunes) where u can download apps and games. Also a program that can easily convert classic programs to be web apps. Oh and built an amazing browser that worked with os 4.1 to make the most of web apps.

The Machine
Somekind of tablet/netbook (netbook with spin around touch screen) that was really cheap quick ran os4.1 and was fully compatible with classic with no moving parts. Also it could run any x86 program or os in a window like Vmware. It also has a tiny projector built in so you can use it as a teaching aid or just watch movies on the wall. Fully branded with Amiga name and boing ball and decent adverts rather then this "i am a mac" and "i am a pc" rubbish.

Old 22 January 2009, 08:29   #55
Akira

My unrealistic dream:
Amiga zealotism to be erradicated from the world, and people enjoying the available hardware (both old and new advancements!) instead of wondering when Amiga Inc. (whatever's left of it) will pay attention to them again.

First I was pissed off with anyone that took over Amiga/Commodore and pissed all over its users, today I am more pissed off with the zealots that give thse companies money to eat
Old 22 January 2009, 08:44   #56
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
My unrealistic dream:
Amiga zealotism to be erradicated from the world, and people enjoying the available hardware (both old and new advancements!) instead of wondering when Amiga Inc. (whatever's left of it) will pay attention to them again.

First I was pissed off with anyone that took over Amiga/Commodore and pissed all over its users, today I am more pissed off with the zealots that give thse companies money to eat
There will always be nerds like Turrican, so don't sweat it, cool people like us make up for it
Old 23 January 2009, 22:53   #57
Smiley
Amiga-less!

I wouldn't want one. What's the point? I already have a great PC right here that can do pretty much everything I need.

Having another one, with some strange architecuture with an Amiga badge is pointless.

I think I will stick to Windows, I would even if a 'new' Amiga came out. You don't hear BBC micro freaks crying about wanting a next gen BBC micro lol.

Amiga OS4 is lame, running on overly priced, weak PPC processors. OS3.9 is nice but come on. It came out in 2000.

In 2000, Amiga computers were weak. 68060. Wow. As a PC user in 2000 I had a nice OS and was playing really highly detailed games. I was not up on Amiga computers in 2000, but who exactly was the OS 3.9 aimed at? Amiga simply didn't compare to the windows machines.

I'm sorry but Amiga got left behind a long time ago.

Windows 95 steamrolled Amiga. In 95 I was playing Mechwarrior 2. Compared to the Amiga A4000 offering at the time. The windows machines won hands down for price and what they could achieve.

Last edited by Smiley; 23 January 2009 at 22:59.
Old 24 January 2009, 00:06   #58
tero

I would buy one in the case it is usable. Means it has driver
for TV cards (DVB-s -c-t), Scanner, Printer,
USB, HDMI and all that stuff everyone needs or use
But for that stuff Amiga development isn't fast enough
I think a Amiga system like that will never be exists

For me it is nice to play around with high patched Workbench in WinUAE or
hostsystems like Amithlon/XL or X-amiga(got the iso but not installed yet)
But none of them is usable for everyday working
Im using Linux a lot its a good alternative but entertainment is
so i MUST use Win or there will be things i can't do
ever tried to compile driver for linux kernel?

My only hope (for now) is Aros - they are on the right way but
it's a long way to go.....

Until then i am dreaming of a time were computing will be free again
and not that dictatorially stuff microshit brought us
That's the reason why i am using Amiga OS as often as possible
and even the reason why i want a new Amiga
you know what you've got - no mysteries and secrets like Windows has
My Amiga never told me its forbidden to edit Startup-sequence
nor disallow me to change/unload whatever

Ok it's more then i wanted to post - so for now..
happy computing on that OS you prefer
tero
Old 30 January 2009, 04:49   #59
Predabot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
Reviving Amiga? No. Doing it like the Amiga? Hell yeah!

Asides from the technical aspects, what was Amiga all about? It was up to date, entertaining and an overall good package for a reasonable price. You hadn't to spend a fortune and never felt like having missed something important. (I can remember buying my first PC after the Amiga. It had no soundcard!) The system's design was modern and elegant. That's the way to do it, if you want to do it in the spirit of rock lobster:
Be innovative, modern and complete. Do not try to be elitist, but different. Start from scratch and give priority to reason over tradition.

Apple shows the way, but is elitist, expensive and still too conservative.
<dream-mode>
If Commodore came back and asked me how to do it, then the modern Amiga would come as a notebook with OLED display and a flash-hdd. It would be a many multicore processor like Cell and a highly programmable graphics card like intel larrabee. The OS would be innovative. Something in the tradition of Plan9 and Hurd. UAE would be preinstalled.
</dream-mode>

Oh yeah, that would be cool (but frankly quite unrealistic ).
That sounds a little bit like the Nintendo Wii actually.

The Wii is the least elitist game-platform on the market right now, even going so far as becoming a phenomenon in that regard, popularizing the concept of "casual" gamers. I.e gamers that are everyday people, and not insane super-enthusiasts and nerds, like has traditionally been the case.

It is both cheap, natively backwards compatible and innovative, but the innovation is of course not in all areas, only parts of the hardware. Therein lies the key to its success and its low price. Using innovation and something cutting-edge in an untraditional manor, picking and choosing. Otherwise you can't get that low price in todays market.

( It should be mentioned that the low price and success of the Wii is the #1 reason why M$ and Sony had to lower the price of their consoles in short order)

I rather like some of your ideas, especially the use of OLED and an SSD-drive. SSD-drives in particular are really improving dramatically right now, with bigger and bigger models. 412 and 512gb models are on the market or soon to come out.

An interesting thing to note tho, is that SSD will one day be replaced as well. Most likely by a return to Electro-mechanics. As recently a new Nano-technological electro-mechanical option has been deviced. James Tour at Rice University thinks the first stuff should reach mass-market in 8 years. Around the same time I'd wager, as SSD will finally have won the HD-market.
Old 30 January 2009, 05:16   #60
Slayer
Amiga Member

Welp, I'm living my dream already, SAM with 4.1 and it's simply brilliant

brand new black tower, brand new 22" DVI LCD running at 1680x1050 although I may drop it to 1440x900 once I get my fill, brand new DVDRW and brand new 320g and 160g HDs

Just installed brand new SDK and will soon embark on programming etc

Life is great with the AmigaOS as it was back in 1986 when I got my first Amiga, I own roughly 40 different systems now and own nothing else but Amigas

Apple isn't the only thing elitest, I'm quite happy to leave most of you behind in your anti (realistic stance) Amiga outlook, be happy I certainly am... put me down for quite a few more SAM or alternative OS4 systems also, and lets pray they stay custom Hardware
AdSense AdSense