English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 06 January 2009, 06:23   #21
Siggy999
Registered User
Siggy999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Las Vegas/Nevada
Posts: 104
I only want 3 things:


Learn from the past.
Work in the present.
Look to the future.



I shouldn't have to explain that - so I won't.
Siggy999 is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 06 January 2009, 12:04   #22
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits
cosmicfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: leek, Staffs, UK
Age: 50
Posts: 3,555
Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
mine would have a decent web browser

be so small it almost imposable to connect any peripherals to it
cosmicfrog is offline  
Old 06 January 2009, 13:17   #23
Nostalgeek
OT Whore
Nostalgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Switzerland
Age: 35
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenwoods View Post
Ok here it goes:

(...)

Thanks for patiently reading my dream

Dude, you got awesome pot, please share

Nah seriously, dreams are what keep us going forward, so I totally respect yours. A lot of your ideas sound great. Keep'em alive. I can't say anything else. If you think you can go somewhere, it would be stupid not to even try to, no matter what people say - that is true in about all aspects of our respective lives. So go for it
Nostalgeek is offline  
Old 06 January 2009, 14:18   #24
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

StingRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Berlin/Joymoney
Posts: 5,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
I would say it's far better than whining about the 'dead Amiga'
How is that far better? Both is equally pointless. Just my 2 Euro cents.
StingRay is offline  
Old 06 January 2009, 14:31   #25
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
Of course for the results there's no difference (neither would 'resurrect' the Miggy), but these daydreams might lead to something like the Indivision or the Cyclone 20. The chance is very little no doubt, but 'far better' than the other way around IMO
TCD is offline  
Old 06 January 2009, 15:28   #26
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

StingRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Berlin/Joymoney
Posts: 5,586
Quote:
but these daydreams might lead to something like the Indivision or the Cyclone 20.
vs.

Quote:
But don't get excited, I am not a big company owner with money...I am a 22 year old uni student with mere dreams
I'm sorry, I might be an angry old fart but I don't think (well, actually I'm 99,99% sure) that this will lead to anything useful at all. Face it, how many people use Amigas ONLY these days? People need to realise that Amiga is dead, as simple as that. There won't be any "next generation" Amiga (please spare me any "NatAmi" comments, thanks!), there won't be anything which would be as special as the A1000 was back in its day. So dreaming about "reviving Amiga" (yeah, without any money, great plan!) is as "bad" or "good" as whining about the fact that Amiga is dead.
StingRay is offline  
Old 06 January 2009, 15:53   #27
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
Might not be so obvious, but my comments should show that I don't think that this will lead anywhere either Guess I just have a weak spot for these kind of thoughts and thus rate it 'better' than complaining. Like you said : just my two cents
TCD is offline  
Old 06 January 2009, 17:53   #28
extralife
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: denmark
Posts: 267
I'm sorry stingray, but u do sound like an old fart
But the fact of the matter is, that your point is correct and tbh do we really "need" a new amiga these days ? I mean we do have so many systems to choose from, whatever your needs might be.
As I hope I was pointing out in my post above, what i really think might be needed is a way to preserve our old personal fun machine and maybe that is actually realistic. I personally don't want a "new" amiga, if i did I would have gotten an a1 or pegasos a long time ago. What I would want though was maybe some kinda replacement for the now insanely expensive 060 boards for the aga miggy's, coz they won't last forever, so again my point above, about preserving the hardware as is, comes back at me.
The amiga as we knew and still know is not dead imho, but it will mostly stay as is and thats a good thing, coz it's still an incredibly fun machine to use and one of the real magic treats, for me at least, is seeing how it's limits are still being broken and how creative people can be, by showing off that if u just got the imagination, hardware isn't really the limit and for this exact reason, I think the amiga still has an important place among computer hobbyists, even more than the c64 actually , Why ? well mostly because the amiga is actually usable and by using it, for other stuff than games, u actually start to learn about it and get comfortable with it.
So my point of view. New amiga, no thx. Old amiga, forever, I hope
extralife is offline  
Old 07 January 2009, 02:02   #29
StarEye
Zone Friend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Norway
Age: 40
Posts: 985
Huh, this is just for fun.
StarEye is offline  
Old 07 January 2009, 03:11   #30
Ravenwoods
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
vs.



I'm sorry, I might be an angry old fart but I don't think (well, actually I'm 99,99% sure) that this will lead to anything useful at all. Face it, how many people use Amigas ONLY these days? People need to realise that Amiga is dead, as simple as that. There won't be any "next generation" Amiga (please spare me any "NatAmi" comments, thanks!), there won't be anything which would be as special as the A1000 was back in its day. So dreaming about "reviving Amiga" (yeah, without any money, great plan!) is as "bad" or "good" as whining about the fact that Amiga is dead.
You are quite bitter it seems that you can't even allow to imagine o dream things. I am not saying this will lead to something big. It is to keep our imaginations and fantasies about our old love going, that's all. And I had some active imagining nowadays so I figured this would be the perfect place to share it because we all are here for love of Amiga...
 
Old 07 January 2009, 12:00   #31
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

StingRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Berlin/Joymoney
Posts: 5,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenwoods View Post
You are quite bitter it seems that you can't even allow to imagine o dream things.
Not bitter at all, just realistic. That's different. Also, feel free to post your dreams here, I just had to react to TCD's statement, not more, not less.
StingRay is offline  
Old 08 January 2009, 02:51   #32
StarEye
Zone Friend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Norway
Age: 40
Posts: 985
It's got nothing to do with being realistic at all. Just use your imagination, what would you want from a new Amiga today? Come on, have som fun!
StarEye is offline  
Old 08 January 2009, 03:49   #33
Ravenwoods
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye View Post
It's got nothing to do with being realistic at all. Just use your imagination, what would you want from a new Amiga today? Come on, have som fun!
Exactly!!!
 
Old 08 January 2009, 17:05   #34
CongealedWallrs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SCOTLAND
Posts: 70
How about we revive Atari too, while we're on the topic of wild dreams!

I'll get me coat...
CongealedWallrs is offline  
Old 09 January 2009, 00:21   #35
cybernoid
Bold as Love
cybernoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Portugal
Posts: 134
My dream machine is a computer that runs firefox, gimp, open office, etc, but with the same organization and clear as Workbench is. Also, all the packages should be compiled from source like gentoo (right from the start (install)). Some sort of a clean Workbench with power icons and magicmenu, understandable libraries and speeeeeeeeeed.

I dont know why they are not like that!
cybernoid is offline  
Old 09 January 2009, 02:40   #36
Ravenwoods
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybernoid View Post
My dream machine is a computer that runs firefox, gimp, open office, etc, but with the same organization and clear as Workbench is. Also, all the packages should be compiled from source like gentoo (right from the start (install)). Some sort of a clean Workbench with power icons and magicmenu, understandable libraries and speeeeeeeeeed.

I dont know why they are not like that!
Isn't this a Linux system though?
 
Old 09 January 2009, 12:43   #37
cybernoid
Bold as Love
cybernoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Portugal
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenwoods View Post
Isn't this a Linux system though?
No. It's Aros in the year 2020
cybernoid is offline  
Old 09 January 2009, 16:24   #38
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

StingRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Berlin/Joymoney
Posts: 5,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye View Post
It's got nothing to do with being realistic at all. Just use your imagination, what would you want from a new Amiga today? Come on, have som fun!
Apparently you didn't understand WHY I posted in this very thread. "Someone" claimed, it's "far better to dream about new Amigas than to whine about the fact that Amiga is dead" which is, I'm sorry to say, utter nonsense in my opinion. However, as I don't want you people to get depressed because I dared to post what I think instead of joining your "happy happy joy joy" mentality here I won't post anything here anymore regarding that matter. And just for the record, I probably have more fun with my Amigas than many people "dreaming" here in this thread. So much for being bitter and stuff. But I have to admit, I found the reactions mildly entertaining because they were absolutely not predictable *cough*.
StingRay is offline  
Old 09 January 2009, 18:46   #39
Charlie
. . Mouse . .
Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nowhere
Age: 49
Posts: 1,792
Ok,

If we are takling 'classic' Amiga then:

1) New replacement mobo's for current models - preferably including some modern ports (proper VGA & USB) & maybe somewhat improved basic capabilities.
2) New replacement plastics.
3) Then, if the above goes to plan complete new systems in whatever form seems best for 'today'.
4) It needs to be cool.

If we are talking 'new' Amiga then:

1) It needs to run on cheap available hardware - X86 PORT!!!
2) It needs to have at least the basic apps any 'modern' OS would boast which themselves support (near enough) modern standards.
3) It needs to be Amiga-like & make a fair fist of running 'classic' apps + games.
4) IT NEEDS TO BE SUPPORTED!!! Which for a 'minority platform' probably means free / open source...
...AROS in time..?
5) It needs to be cool.
Charlie is offline  
Old 11 January 2009, 02:35   #40
Ze_ro
Registered User
Ze_ro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Winnipeg / Canada
Posts: 50
Frankly, I'd be far more interested in a small, cheap machine that was compatible with classic Amiga's (at least compatible enough to run WHDLoad games natively). I already have a computer that runs Firefox and does all that other stuff people mentioned :P

To that end, my dream system:
  • 68060 @ 75MHz
  • AGA chipset, condensed into a single chip (or preferably an FPGA so upgrades or bugfixes would be possible).
  • Standard 31kHz VGA or DVI output.
  • Standard memory slots (any easily available memory type is fine by me, even 72-pin).
  • Standard Amiga ports (joysticks, serial, parallel, floppy drive).
  • PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports.
  • On-board IDE controller for CD/DVD, Hard Drive or Compact Flash.
  • SD card slot with logic for attaching ADF images as disk drives (Basically equivalent to what the 1541 Ultimate does for the C64... built-in floppy drive would be unneccessary).
  • USB & Ethernet ports.
  • At least one PCI slot for expansion.

I'd gladly settle for a Natami, though.

--Zero
Ze_ro is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amiga movies possible on stock OCS machine? ImmortalA1000 Amiga scene 227 01 May 2013 15:01
My Amiga Arcade Machine KevG Retrogaming General Discussion 5 20 December 2010 16:52
Your favourite 'non-Amiga' machine of the 80's and 90's : Round 2! P-J Retrogaming General Discussion 86 14 December 2007 21:18
Amiga - most robust machine ever? Magno Boots Nostalgia & memories 50 28 May 2006 09:45
Amiga-inspired Coldfire machine Methanoid Amiga scene 16 28 January 2004 21:14

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.28922 seconds with 11 queries