English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 January 2009, 03:09   #1
Ravenwoods

If a new Amiga (machine) was released ...

what kind of features would you like to see? What would make you buy it instead of a PC or a Console..or at least make it as worth as buying it along the side of other products?

Edit: I don't want to mention my ideas just yet not to influnce people's imaginations.

AdSense AdSense  
Old 05 January 2009, 03:30   #2
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

i just need by order of importance :
1) amigaos, firefox, openoffice, thunderbird, messengers,...
2) a really good price, a complete computer for less than 600 euro
3) all emulators : epsxe, snes, gens , uae ...
4) it should keep the amiga name
5) 1 or 2 good games by month

it's the minimum
If i have all of this, i don't need to keep my pc.
Old 05 January 2009, 03:40   #3
BlueAchenar
Not dead yet!!! :D

- AmigaOS
- 1THz 64-core 68k based CPU
- AGA3D
Old 05 January 2009, 03:52   #4
Ravenwoods

Nice, so far easy to please crowd

Well, I was thinking the stuff you listed guys should be given, a must anyhow.

But to sell well and bring on new customers obviously they (devs) will have to do more and add soemthing sorta cutting edge to it. Well, gfx and sounds are surely not the way to go in this generation. Yes, Amiga was amazing for those two areas in the past but today those things are taken for granted.

Again, I will explain some of my ideas a bit later. But I truly want to invest in such project, I want to revive Amiga. But don't get excited, I am not a big company owner with money...I am a 22 year old uni student with mere dreams

Old 05 January 2009, 07:58   #5
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Natami!
Old 05 January 2009, 09:27   #6
marcfrick2112

hmmm,
One thing I would like to hear is better sound... standard. (Curious if someone could hack extra Paula's to a miggy somehow, like was done with the SID chip on C-64's.... I know Paula's pretty weak by today's standards, but she sounds pretty good when pushed hard enough. (AHI, OSS, etc. ... )

Firefox, yep, definately...

How about Hardware and software capable to do real-time rendering? I remember reading an old .INFO mag mentioning a transputer, not sure if it's the same listed on Amiga Resource (or BBoAH ?) but I recall the quote 'capable of rendering a 5000x5000 pixel pic in less than a second' Now if that could be say, a Lightwave render, max. antialiasing, I'd be happy.....

Marc
Old 05 January 2009, 10:34   #7
StarEye
Zone Friend

Compact like the A1200 (key and computer in one), component or HDMI connection, proper standardized plug'n'play joystick ports like in the old ones. Make it upgradable, but only to the same degree as the old ones. It should be a competitor to the console market. Maybe have the keyboard detachable, so you can just pick up the keyboard and leave the base. Powerful enough to compete with the console competition. Open platform, to leave room for homebrew and a vast amount of useful apps and utilities. Pre-installed with AmigaOS, giving you the option which elements you want (uncheck stuff like e-mail client or web browser if you want to install a different one), and make customization extremely simple, by having you remove and install elements of the OS quickly. Super-fast bootup, like we're used to. Ctrl-Amiga-Amiga for softreset.

In short, a powerful console with the benefits of the old one plus some new additions.

Basically, a console with the benefits of the old Amigas.
Old 05 January 2009, 12:19   #8
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

something like that !

Old 05 January 2009, 12:58   #9
BlueAchenar

Now seriously.

I'd like to see an Amiga in a Mini-ITX board. PS/2, USB, DVI, VGA, Gigabit Ethernet connectors. Quad-core 68k CPU or 4 68020+ CPUs (I think they are already prepared to work in parallel). A modern GFX 3D accelerator with OpenGL/OpenCL and AGA support. An Express Card slot.
Old 05 January 2009, 13:11   #10
vodley
Zone Friend

Like previous Amiga models made possible emulation of DOS and Mac OS, it should optionally run Windows and OS X, to start, maybe as virtual machines, and because of superior Amiga architecture, offer a performance boost.

As an Amiga, naturally, it should deliver graphics and sound to make other systems seem like stupid, sad joke-boxes. It should be positioned where Amiga was initially in the market, compared to the other boxes, offering that amazing competitive price-performance value.

I'd like it to be ultra-portable, bundled with high-resolution LCD specs and instead of a mouse or keyboard interface, it would have light-weight gloves with fingertip-sensors that let me type, touch and manipulate virtual 3-D objects and instruments in a natural-media way and feel. Or maybe it would see my hands without a glove interface.
Old 05 January 2009, 13:12   #11
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Turrican3, that picture made me drool!
Old 05 January 2009, 13:24   #12
TCD

Really nice picture turrican3
A new Amiga needs to revive classic shumps and platformer, that's all that counts
Old 05 January 2009, 13:30   #13
amiga

Stop dreaming folks!
You know it'll never happen (a new Amiga); it's not 1985 anymore!

Now, go back to your Win/Mac/Linux machines; they're better than nothing at all!
Old 05 January 2009, 15:39   #14
TCD

Guess this thread is all about dreaming I would say it's far better than whining about the 'dead Amiga'
Old 05 January 2009, 15:40   #15
Shoonay
Global Caturator

They can take away our hardware,
but they'll never take our DREAMS!!!
Old 05 January 2009, 16:40   #16
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5h00n4y View Post
They can take away our hardware,
but they'll never take our DREAMS!!!
well said 5h00n4y
Old 05 January 2009, 16:45   #17
BlueAchenar

I might not get an Amiga, but I'm looking forward at getting an ARM netbook.
Old 05 January 2009, 17:54   #18
extralife

if a comlete new comeback, more or less what stareye said, but as if thats ever gonna happen, so what might happen, the clone-a is the one, all the old miggy's in one small system with the opportunity to some of the newer technology as a simple optical mouse, sounds cool enough for me I love my amiga's as they are, but my desk is getting smaller and smaller, so i hope jens is able to make it happen with aga and maybe a possiblity to throw in some 030-060 kinda stuff, for running amiga stuff of today and a total all in one solution. yea that would be cool enough for me
Old 05 January 2009, 20:26   #19
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenwoods View Post
I am a 22 year old uni student with mere dreams
That's right.
Dreams.
Old 06 January 2009, 03:44   #20
Ravenwoods

Ok here it goes:

My idea is that it will be perhaps even more compact than actual A1200. Maybe around the size of A600.

It is called A500S ('S' for super perhaps for plus is taken The reason it is A500 because it was my Amiga )

The device will be integrated into a keyboard as classic Amigas but as a cutting edge tech all of the keys (I know this is a way too sci-fi for now) of the keyboard retreat inwards and make the top surface completely plain. Then this surface is now multitouch OLED screen. There is also integrated vibration unit for better response when touchscreen is used.

So, many touch based applications and games can be played. You can also draw and paint (with the stylus/pen provided on the side which you can use to draw) , make and mix music (for the screen can become like a mixer), all of your game HUD and UI could be handled on the bottom screen just as Nintendo DS etc. There is almost unlimited amount of things that you can do with this tech.

The mouse is connected via blutooth. So there are less cables. It also comes with a joystick in the pack for exclusive games like the new Alien Breed or Turrican and Inernational Karate There is also a small Webcam and Mic on the keyboard where the cam is portable/can be repositioned at will.

Also, a newer OS is produced just for this Amiga model. It is more 'internet' integrated and much cleaner OS. More like console interfaces but it is a fully functional OS. Of course crazy amount of multitasking is supported. It takes only 7 secs to boot, 7 secs to reboot and even perhaps shorter to turn of. All with one button.

Hardware wise it has a new exclusive architecture. Intel 8 core CPU with new integrated onboard ram technology. Also, Intel GPU (yet to come out) for cutting edge gfx. It also has 7.1 sound outlet as well as stereo speakers onboard with bass boost. There is also 500gb and up to 1tb SSD (Solid-State Drive) for truly fast storage. Blu-ray burner combo DVD burner. 3.5" Floppy disc reader on the side. Blu-ray drive is a feeder like Nintendo Wii's.

But wait, there is more. If you don't want to buy Amiga as your primary computer (which is sold with or without monitor [22" screen"] as an option or you can connect it to your TV in your lounge room), you can use it as your secondary device with a technology called Symbiosis (not very creative name is it ).

Symbiosis allows you to introduce your Amiga as a keyboard and mouse set to your Windows PC or OSX Mac. You simply install this appliaction to your PC and voila you now are able to use your Amiga on your PC's screen and able to swtich between Windows and Amiga by a touch of a button almost instentenously. So, you can use your Amiga for your day to day businness but then you can switch back to Windows for your gaming and some other more varied and supported applications/utulities.

The reason why not dual boot your Amiga with Windows and connect to PC like this, is that you don't want Windows on your Amiga. It will use up alot of processing power. Also, the architecture is different thus clash may occur. Windows will bring way too many junk onto your system. But with Symbiosis system when you are using your Amiga OS (which I call Eternity OS) you are using only your Amiga's power for those programs without dealing with any junk or viruses etc. When you need to use your Windows you are able to switch without a hassle of booting etc. Your Amiga also acts like a keyboard and mouse so there really isn't much of a hassle for actual unit can connect to PC in multiple ways [via USB, Firewire, Wi-Fi etc].

Amiga, thanks to its touch screen, can also be used seperately from all other monitors, though this limits the applications and the size of the screen ofcourse. Also, by its wireless connectiosn you can connect multiple Amigas togeter and have a party game together. A board game or a card game is made so simple thanks to the touch screen technology. Also, connecting via this technology called Synergy, you instantenously share all the data (allowed data) that is on your friend's Amiga for you get a copy of his/her OS's current state. So, desktop of the computer can be used instant share box almost where everyone throws in whatever they need to share.

Well, there are more ideas here and there. I might have missed some bits. I am writing as I am thinking kind of thing. My fingers are barely catching up So, as a summary it is more like a console/computer. Just as it was in the past. Nowadays we complain or speculate that consoles are becoming more and more computer like. Well, there you go, a great combination imo. With some real good exclusive games and of course backwards compatibility like perhaps even old Sega games on board this system could thrive. What do you think? What can be added or subtracted. Of course one biggest problem is that scale of multitouch hardware is quite expensive. Making this system with that hardware and selling it around $600 AUD is just an unrealistic fantasy.

I can't provide any illustrations rght now. My drawing or modeling is horrid anyhow. If someone knows how to model though then I will share some hand drawings of ideas and maybe the colours etc ...we can also all come tohegether and create the perfect shape and look. Remeber it is the keyboard size..but not a small keyboard. Like my Microsoft Elite keyboard which is quite big but comfy

Thanks for patiently reading my dream

Last edited by Ravenwoods; 06 January 2009 at 03:50.

AdSense AdSense