English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 16 April 2002, 10:53   #21
Tim Janssen
Junior Member

Tim Janssen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Den Bosch / The Netherlands
Age: 41
Posts: 1,271
Cool Some more games...

I love most platformgames but there are some favourites:
1. Turrican series, Rainbow Arts, 1990-1993 (Amiga): Some people would argue Turrican is more a cross between shoot-‘em-up and action, but for me this is a platformgame at its best. Lots of huge enemies, general fast pace and a certain need to finish one more level.
2. Rainbow Islands, Graftgold/Ocean, 1989 (Amiga): As cute as a game can get. The shooting rainbows-principle makes this game a classic in my opinion.
3. Super Drake, Unknown company, 1996 (PC): I think this game is very rare on PC. It is a multidirectional scrolling platform game like Alladin & Lion King starring a blue would-be super-duck. Lovely animations, sound effects and gameplay make this a classic although it is a bit easy to finish.
4. Evil Twin, In Utero/UBI Soft, 2001 (PC): Most underestimated game of 2001! Magazines raved about this 3D platform game but Joe Public simply did not buy it. The game is extremely bugged (especially in WinXP). ‘Drunken’ camera-movements, crashes, a headless hero: name any possible bug and Evil Twin will deliver. The game is however a platform-fan’s dream come true. It is beautiful, huge and features all typical platform-tricks seen in other games and even adds more to it.
The subtitle of the game is Cyprien’s Chronicles and I sincerely hope a sequel is underway. If developer In Utero manages to get rid of all the bugs, the sequel to Evil Twin could possibly become king of all platformgames.

Seeing the many responses in this thread it looks like platformgames are very popular with gamers. Why is it then that so few platformers are released on PC? Only Rayman M, Evil Twin, Akimbo and Woody Woodpecker have seen the light the past 8 months.
Is it because gamers are ashamed to buy these typical games for kiddies or what?
Tim Janssen is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 16 April 2002, 12:39   #22
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: U$A
Age: 26
Posts: 4,662
Re: Some more games...

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Janssen
4. Evil Twin, In Utero/UBI Soft, 2001 (PC): Most underestimated game of 2001! Magazines raved about this 3D platform game but Joe Public simply did not buy it. The game is extremely bugged (especially in WinXP). ‘Drunken’ camera-movements, crashes, a headless hero: name any possible bug and Evil Twin will deliver. The game is however a platform-fan’s dream come true. It is beautiful, huge and features all typical platform-tricks seen in other games and even adds more to it.
Considering all of those problems for that game, how did it ever make it to your Top 4 ever platform games list?!?
Quote:
Seeing the many responses in this thread it looks like platformgames are very popular with gamers. Why is it then that so few platformers are released on PC? Only Rayman M, Evil Twin, Akimbo and Woody Woodpecker have seen the light the past 8 months.
Is it because gamers are ashamed to buy these typical games for kiddies or what?
Maybe it's because of poor implementation? I don't recall the PC ever being very good at this genre. The few successful attempts that did exist were DOS games, not Windows. PC games just aren't known for the smooth, fluid movement that are platforme games.
Twistin'Ghost is offline  
Old 16 April 2002, 14:11   #23
Drake1009
Registered User
Drake1009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Denmark
Posts: 2,284
Quote:
By Tim Janssen
3. Super Drake, Unknown company, 1996 (PC): I think this game is very rare on PC. It is a multidirectional scrolling platform game like Alladin & Lion King starring a blue would-be super-duck. Lovely animations, sound effects and gameplay make this a classic although it is a bit easy to finish.
I think that would be Crazy drake. Should be a bit easier finding it like that. It reminded me a lot of Earthworm jim in gameplay. Blue duck with a gun of sorts. Plenty of jumping and running. Somewhat hard levels. I really had a hard time with the one where you were riding a water slide all the way.
Drake1009 is offline  
Old 16 April 2002, 14:17   #24
vivash
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Re: Some more games...

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost

I don't recall the PC ever being very good at this genre. The few successful attempts that did exist were DOS games, not Windows. PC games just aren't known for the smooth, fluid movement that are platforme games.
...but quite a few of the Amiga platformers work pretty well under emulation, which indicates a peecee can manage it. Maybe not as well as an Amiga (hardware sprites, hardware scrolling, blitter etc.), but a decent graphics card should have enough 2D stuff to cope.

Best Platformer though?
Amiga:
- Superfrog
- Magic Pockets
- there's loads I'm missing here, but they've probably been listed already

Sega Master System
- Alex Kidd in Miracle World.
- Sonic

Dragon 32 (ah, the memories)
- Chuckie Egg (does this count? If so, add donkey kong too)
- Manic Miner

Sega Megadrive:
- Rocket Knight Adventures (nobody else bought this it seems)
- Sonic 2
 
Old 16 April 2002, 14:44   #25
Tim Janssen
Junior Member

Tim Janssen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Den Bosch / The Netherlands
Age: 41
Posts: 1,271
Post Drake, Twin and platformgames

@Drake:
Aargh - you are right! The game is called Crazy Drake! How could I forget it! I still must have this DOS-game somewhere on floppies. Maybe I will manage to get it running under Windows XP -... nah, looking at my experiences with DOS games in XP I think it won't work

@Twistin:
You wrote about my choice for Evil Twin:
Quote:
Considering all of those problems for that game, how did it ever make it to your Top 4 ever platform games list?!?
I know, I know. Every sane person in this world would loathe Evil Twin because of its horrible bugs but I don't - I have a love/hate relationship with it. Despite its cumbersome controls, bugs and crashes the game oozes graphics quality and imagination.
I have been playing it since January this year which is quite an archievement since I normally don't play games longer than a month. Overall there are 70 levels with each one having different graphics which perfectly suit the unique atmosphere. This might explain why it eats up 1500 Megs from my HD and still needs my CD-rom.
All elements that are typical for a platformgame are further explored in Evil Twin like the 'blowing leafs'-effect of Turrican 2 world 2-2, rotating platforms and Dragonball-Z type of weapons. The game continuously manages to surprise me with new challenging environments to conquer and admire which is rather unique for a PC-game.
The programmers have put so much time and effort in this game that it really shows. I just wished they had put more time in solving the bugs -it would have made THE best platformgame ever.

Quote:
I don't recall the PC ever being very good at this genre. The few successful attempts that did exist were DOS games, not Windows. PC games just aren't known for the smooth, fluid movement that are platforme games.
I have to disagree with you. Your statement would be true eight years ago in the 486DX era, but nowadays PCs can play any platformgame fluidly because of pure processing power.
I am afraid softwarepublishers do not earn enough profit with a platformgame so they rather stick to the zillionth Doom or Command and Conquerer clone. So in the end the games-buying public is to blame.
The kiddies rather show their friends a 3D FPS like Soldier of Fortune 2 with all of its blood and gore turned on to the maximum than another 'cute' platformgame.
Tim Janssen is offline  
Old 16 April 2002, 14:59   #26
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: U$A
Age: 26
Posts: 4,662
Re: Drake, Twin and platformgames

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Janssen
I know, I know. Every sane person in this world would loathe Evil Twin because of its horrible bugs but I don't - I have a love/hate relationship with it. Despite its cumbersome controls, bugs and crashes the game oozes graphics quality and imagination.
I have been playing it since January this year which is quite an archievement since I normally don't play games longer than a month. Overall there are 70 levels with each one having different graphics which perfectly suit the unique atmosphere. This might explain why it eats up 1500 Megs from my HD and still needs my CD-rom.
All elements that are typical for a platformgame are further explored in Evil Twin like the 'blowing leafs'-effect of Turrican 2 world 2-2, rotating platforms and Dragonball-Z type of weapons. The game continuously manages to surprise me with new challenging environments to conquer and admire which is rather unique for a PC-game.
The programmers have put so much time and effort in this game that it really shows. I just wished they had put more time in solving the bugs -it would have made THE best platformgame ever.
Hmm. But does it offer anything new to the genre that can't be had on systems that do platform games right? Or is it just a need to have one on the PC. Jeezez - 1500 megs on HD *PLUS* still needs the CD? That's sooooo PC! I would expect a platformer to make dinner, bring me a whore for the night and play orchestral music at the end of the night for all of that!
Quote:
I have to disagree with you. Your statement would be true eight years ago in the 486DX era, but nowadays PCs can play any platformgame fluidly because of pure processing power.
Then you musta misread my statement. I never said the PC wasn't capable of handling platformers. I said 'poor implementation' and not being 'very good' at this genre. Be that coding, marketing or in practice, I stand by it. And regardless of the processor power, PC's are always jerky (at least while Windows is running). I have seen the fastest machines out there completely choke on simple avi movies or scrolling games or even displaying java-based web sites. I just don't understand how much processor power a PC needs to render smooth graphics consistently.
Twistin'Ghost is offline  
Old 16 April 2002, 15:49   #27
Tim Janssen
Junior Member

Tim Janssen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Den Bosch / The Netherlands
Age: 41
Posts: 1,271
Cool Evil Twin: a console game on PC

Quote:
I would expect a platformer to make dinner, bring me a whore for the night and play orchestral music at the end of the night for all of that!
LOL.
The only thing Evil Twin does provide is the orchestral music -which is really good by the way. The whole game is designed to be converted to the next gen consoles. A gamepad is highly recommended and there are only six save-game slots.
If I am correct it was converted to PS2 a couple of months ago -bugs included.
Tim Janssen is offline  
Old 16 April 2002, 16:24   #28
Drake1009
Registered User
Drake1009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Denmark
Posts: 2,284
Quote:
By Tim Janssen
Aargh - you are right! The game is called Crazy Drake! How could I forget it! I still must have this DOS-game somewhere on floppies. Maybe I will manage to get it running under Windows XP -... nah, looking at my experiences with DOS games in XP I think it won't work
That's the reason I'm still on 98. Last time I went aroound to buy a small piece of hardware though I got into a small discussion with the guy in the store about XP which he claimed was much better at DOS games than 98 was. He based this on the fact that he'd been able to run Warcraft II on it.
Drake1009 is offline  
Old 17 April 2002, 06:20   #29
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Shatterhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Rio de Janeiro / Brazil
Age: 34
Posts: 2,700
I do know Crazy Drake ... nice game indeed...



and I do LOVE Rocket Knight Adventures ... I think it's a great game and no mistaken..

There was a rumour that the character of Rocket Knight Adventures was going to be in an MSX game, but it never saw the light of day. Years laters, they got the character and the game idea, and made Rocket Knight Adventures for Mega-Drive..
Shatterhand is offline  
Old 17 April 2002, 10:32   #30
Tallhill
 
Posts: n/a
Most great platformers have allready gotten a mention, but I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Delphine's Another World and Flashback yet. If Turrican is a platformer, then these are too in every aspect.

Another good one is Heart Of Darkness for the PSX. Seriously underrated, it featured a lot of original gameplay ideas, great FMV cutscenes and an orchestrated score played by the London Symphony Orchestra. And the game itself was so hair-raisingly difficult that you'd want to go nuts with a sledgehammer on your PSX at times. Still it was good enough to keep you from throwing it away in frustration. Barely.

My all time favorite though is Turrican II for Amiga.
 
Old 17 April 2002, 15:25   #31
Drake1009
Registered User
Drake1009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Denmark
Posts: 2,284
Heart of darkness was good? Why didn't I buy a packet of cereal to get it when I had the chance then?? It was a month or two ago. I recall seeing it at a friend's house a long time ago where it seemed so darn boring. He completed it quickly so I only saw it a couple of times.
Drake1009 is offline  
Old 17 April 2002, 16:02   #32
Tim Janssen
Junior Member

Tim Janssen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Den Bosch / The Netherlands
Age: 41
Posts: 1,271
Arrow Drake, DOS and Darkness

@Drake,
About Crazy Drake: I am quite sure I have finished this game because from the menu I had access to all worlds. If you start in the last world (the Ice-world I think) and finish all four levels, you will be presented the credits-screen.

I haven't installed Crazy Drake yet in Windows XP. I do not have positive experiences playing DOS games in this environment. Here is a log of the few games I have tried to run. Please note that these worked fine in Win95:
Zone Raider: Works fine as long as you play it in 320x200 mode. Switching to sVGA makes the game crash;
Tempest 2000: Does not play music;
Doom 2:Refuses to start up.
Lucky enough I still have my old Pentium 90 with DOS installed and relive the games on this machine.

About Heart of Darkness: Is this a 2D platformgame which has starring a boy and his dog? I remember a review of this game which said it was horribly difficult due to sluggish controls.
I am still intending to buy this game on budget for my old Pentium 90. Any platformgame is welcome on PC.
Tim Janssen is offline  
Old 17 April 2002, 16:03   #33
Fissuras
Old Luny

Fissuras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Brazil
Age: 47
Posts: 563
Oh, heart of darkness sucks. I've installed it, played for 10 minutes, died quite a lot of times, got bored, deleted everything and forgot it forever (till now)
Fissuras is offline  
Old 17 April 2002, 16:16   #34
Fissuras
Old Luny

Fissuras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Brazil
Age: 47
Posts: 563
On the PC I have not played a lot of plataform games (there were not many). The best ones are Jazz Jackrabbit (fast, smooth scrolling) and Rayman. Earthworm Jim was also good. I enjoyed playing Duke Nukem, it was just ok, a good game, but nothing special.

Crazy Drake always crashed my PC. I'll try it again someday. Lost Vikings was also a great game, and I played it to the end.

There was a nice platform on the PC, I guess it was called BlackThorne... probably a console port. Nothing so special about it, but it was a platform game.

I've played some other's I can't remember exactly right now. most had much superior Amiga versions.
Fissuras is offline  
Old 17 April 2002, 16:17   #35
Bloodwych
Moderator

Bloodwych's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: I'm behind you!
Posts: 3,763
Speccy - Bruce Lee. Loved this game, especially 2 player.

Atari ST - Joust. Again the two player action was sweet!

Don't forget about Great Giana Sisters! One of the first platform games I had on my Amiga.

Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands were excellent, the difficultly level was just right. I'll never forget the day I finished Bubble Bobble with my brother - we were stuck on level 89 being our highest achievement for ages! Parasol Stars was ok, not as good as the previos two though.

NewZealand story held my interest for some reason, perhaps because it came with my very first Amiga in the Batman pack.

All time favourites have to be Revenge of Shinobi (MegaDrive) and Super Mario Brothers (SNES). The latter had perfect gameplay - finding all 96? levels even though you'd finished the game was a challenge. The feeling of accomplishment when you'd completed a hard level was unbeatable, as was the sensation of doing a level in record time.
Bloodwych is offline  
Old 17 April 2002, 16:21   #36
Fissuras
Old Luny

Fissuras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Brazil
Age: 47
Posts: 563
Sorry, it is me again

I've seen no Macintosh games... there were none?

I remembered playing one platform games that atonished me at the time. It was Dark Castle, black an white old mac game.

It was about the time I had an IBM AT, CGA graphics, no sound card... The game looked so nice to me back then...

I've found other ports (including Amiga, I guess), but never got the same feeling when I was playing tha High-res, black and white game, on that strange machine (never had seen a mouse before...)
Fissuras is offline  
Old 17 April 2002, 17:04   #37
vivash
 
Posts: n/a
Nearly forgot...

On the megadrive:
- Toejam and Earl (1&2)

Anyone who has seen and played these games will agree that they're classics, and if they don't they're lying. So there.
 
Old 17 April 2002, 17:39   #38
Drake1009
Registered User
Drake1009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Denmark
Posts: 2,284
Quote:
Originally posted by fissuras
There was a nice platform on the PC, I guess it was called BlackThorne... probably a console port. Nothing so special about it, but it was a platform game.
I actually think Black thorne was a PC original. Controlled a bit like flashback, but not near as responsive or playable. Good if you just wanted to blast stuff.
Drake1009 is offline  
Old 17 April 2002, 18:15   #39
fabbroz
 
Posts: n/a
Big grin

Turrican saga of course

//admin: please don't use direct signature in your post, configure your UserCP instead.
 
Old 18 April 2002, 06:10   #40
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Shatterhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Rio de Janeiro / Brazil
Age: 34
Posts: 2,700
I didn't mention Flashback or ANother World, because I think they are a little more than "platform" games... if they can considered platforms, add them to my list above

I think Heart of Darkness is a GREEEEAAAAATTTTTT game .. I had it in my PC, but unfortunately it stopped working It sometimes remembers me Another World.

Blackthorne is from Blizzard (Published by Interplay) and it's available on Snes too. It's a very good game in the flashback mood, I recommend it.

I Don't like Dark Castle that much.. I played the Amiga and Mega-Drive version, it played much like a very bad spectrum game (no offense to speccy fans ) .

Lost Vikings looks better on Amiga.. at least it looks better in Amiga with my TV, than in PC with my monitor...

And ToeJam & Earl 1 is not a platform game.. it's a kind of arcade-adventure game. Toejam & Earl 2 is a good platform game, if a little too easy. Both games are a lot laughable (Mainly the 1st one), and I recommend it at least for some good laughs..
Shatterhand is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Favourite Business Game Ian Nostalgia & memories 12 21 August 2011 13:32
Best Platform Game Ever on any Platform frikilokooo Nostalgia & memories 66 13 July 2011 12:19
What is your favourite Shoot'em-Up ? (all platforms) RCK Retrogaming General Discussion 177 25 February 2007 18:14
Which Is Your Favourite Game? Zeewolf Nostalgia & memories 94 21 August 2005 11:05
What is your favourite adventure game? (all platforms) Belgarath Retrogaming General Discussion 71 18 November 2003 13:35

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.26639 seconds with 12 queries