English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 December 2008, 21:40   #41
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasM View Post
not really. make us trouble, too.

but we have the same contract with tony as with all other developer and artist there work for us.

i can not really check if the user make his work right for the money what he get.
But can you check what make his work to the right what he gets or not really unless he doesn't got the correct permissions ?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 December 2008, 21:44   #42
AndreasM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuZz View Post
The thing that annoys me about all of this, is AndreasM is the first to send threats via email to anyone who hosts the old software he still sells,
yes, when anyone spread our own software, they get a email. i think email is a very friendly way. or not?

Quote:
but can't admit there is a possibility (actually a likelihood) he himself is breaching copyright too.
what think you for what we make contracts? that the user accept all rights and dont make any wrong. and when not, the user geht trouble with us.

But Tony was maked a very good work. i am sure that he look all rights for the software what he maked on his CDs!
Old 21 December 2008, 21:50   #43
AndreasM

Quote:
But can you check what make his work to the right what he gets or not really unless he doesn't got the correct permissions ?
a developer or example gfx artist sign in a contract that he have all rights or permission.

and i am sure that he dont broken the contract. the broken contract cost him many money.
Old 21 December 2008, 21:50   #44
BuZz

Quote:
yes, when anyone spread our own software, they get a email. i think email is a very friendly way. or not?
well, friendlier than other ways perhaps I'll give you that. I'll even go as far as to say your mail was more friendly than others I've received recently! But I wouldn't go as far as to say "very friendly"

Quote:
what think you for what we make contracts? that the user accept all rights and dont make any wrong. and when not, the user geht trouble with us.

But Tony was maked a very good work. i am sure that he look all rights for the software what he maked on his CDs!
It wouldn't be possible for him to get all the required permissions, but anyway, no-one is going to complain. I was just trying to illustrate something here, which I have now given up on.
Old 21 December 2008, 21:54   #45
AndreasM

Quote:
It wouldn't be possible for him to get all the required permissions,
no. its possible for him. for this me make a contract. when not, he broken the contract and make him many trouble.

Last edited by AndreasM; 21 December 2008 at 22:06.
Old 21 December 2008, 22:30   #46
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

This is complete nonsense. This Tony guy can't have the permission for 16000+ demos. You both guys act in the "no one complains/cares" area. Legally you aren't on the save side, no matter what you say/have.

Anyway, no one will sue. And if it did Tony and you would lose. That's for sure.
Old 21 December 2008, 22:41   #47
qwak
Game Developer

Send a message via MSN to qwak
What a complete load of nonsense "abandonware" is. It's basically giving a nice, more socially acceptable name, to what is basically an infringement of copyright. Give it a nice name (such as 'abandonware') and people don't feel it's wrong. What pi**es me off is the guys who distribute my (and other) old games, and they charge people to download them.

It's just making money from someone else's hard work.
Old 21 December 2008, 22:44   #48
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Yep, Abandonware is a fictitious word.
Old 21 December 2008, 23:23   #49
AndreasM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
This is complete nonsense. This Tony guy can't have the permission for 16000+ demos. You both guys act in the "no one complains/cares" area. Legally you aren't on the save side, no matter what you say/have.

Anyway, no one will sue. And if it did Tony and you would lose. That's for sure.
hmm

- we dont release 16.000+ demos (on 4 CDs)
- many demos are PD
- for the other give us Tony the contract that he have all permissions what he need.

and i dont think that Tony lie.
Old 21 December 2008, 23:29   #50
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
- many demos are PD
And as i said you before, there is NO Public Domain in Germany. It's still illlegal, If you don't have the permission/licences for these specific demos. I assume, there are some German demos among them?

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 21 December 2008 at 23:36.
Old 21 December 2008, 23:35   #51
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
http://atomnet.co.uk/amiga/?p=engine

Wonderful site! Many thanks!!!
Old 22 December 2008, 01:04   #52
BuZz

Quote:
hmm

- we dont release 16.000+ demos (on 4 CDs)
- many demos are PD
- for the other give us Tony the contract that he have all permissions what he need.

and i dont think that Tony lie.
The scene archives is a 12 disk collection. sure you only have about 4 of them, but we are talking about the fact that it would be impossible for there to be permission for all the items. I don't understand why you just can't admit it. I guess because that would mean you are guilty of the same crime you accuse everyone else of ?

Many demos are PD.. yes perhaps, but many are not. And how do you know which are ?

I can tell you that the scene archives contains demos from people I know personally. I am pretty sure they have no problem with the archive, but I am also sure that they gave no specific permission to anyone for them. Just admit your guilt, and we can carry on. Stop lying to yourself!
Old 22 December 2008, 01:16   #53
BuZz

And please don't reply again that he has permission which means you do too. Otherwise I'll have to list items on disks which I had direct involvement with and that might make you look silly. You would make yourself look much better by admitting you do exactly the same as the rest of us (well except you charge for items and hound people about illegal activity all the time).

Note that people can get the scene archives for free from torrents or scene.org and it is an excellent collection. (Also zegs demo collection is also very good available on ftp.amigascne.org)
Old 22 December 2008, 01:31   #54
BuZz

Quote:
btw this was a joke. I had no idea you would actually reply ;-)
Old 22 December 2008, 13:10   #55
AndreasM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
And as i said you before, there is NO Public Domain in Germany. It's still illlegal, If you don't have the permission/licences for these specific demos. I assume, there are some German demos among them?
lean the law and dont talk avery time bullshit.

when a USA-developer say his software is PD, then is the Software PD in germany too. the USA law work for this and NOT the german law.

when a german-developer use the 31 is it 90% the same as PD.

and wrong. german judge know the words Freeware and PD and accept this.
Old 22 December 2008, 13:16   #56
AndreasM

Quote:
The scene archives is a 12 disk collection. sure you only have about 4 of them, but we are talking about the fact that it would be impossible for there to be permission for all the items. I don't understand why you just can't admit it. I guess because that would mean you are guilty of the same crime you accuse everyone else of ?

Many demos are PD.. yes perhaps, but many are not. And how do you know which are ?

I can tell you that the scene archives contains demos from people I know personally. I am pretty sure they have no problem with the archive, but I am also sure that they gave no specific permission to anyone for them. Just admit your guilt, and we can carry on. Stop lying to yourself!
Scene Archives are not maked from us. we have with the owner a publishing-contract. and in this contract he sign that he have all permission what he need.

sorry, i cant say any other. when someone sell us something and sign a contract that he have all permission.
Old 22 December 2008, 13:20   #57
jabsy
Yeah Hup!

Quote:

when a USA-developer say his software is PD, then is the Software PD in germany too. the USA law work for this and NOT the german law.
Just like it works in Sweden for The Pirate Bay???
Old 22 December 2008, 13:33   #58
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:

when a german-developer use the 31 is it 90% the same as PD.

and wrong. german judge know the words Freeware and PD and accept this.
Sure, and ALL the German demo maker declared their demos as PD, which NOT exits in the German law.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 22 December 2008 at 15:38.
Old 22 December 2008, 13:34   #59
AndreasM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsy View Post
Just like it works in Sweden for The Pirate Bay???
that are diffent things what you mean.

we talk here about the "status" of the software, not what the law allow what the users can do or not.

when example a usa-developer say his software are pd, than are this in every country pd. i dont know any law in any country what change this. a usa-developer can change his mind and say: today i would like use the german law.

when a developer say his software are copyright than are the software under (c) in every country where accept this rights. for this give it contracts between the states.

Retro-Nerd talk here every time about the word "PD" and think wrong. right, the german law-text dont know the word "PD". the but german law know other words for this. that are 90% the same as PD.

and the german judge (thats the possible) accept the status PD and Freeware from other states when he dont damage the german law.
Old 22 December 2008, 13:41   #60
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Scene Archives are not maked from us. we have with the owner a publishing-contract. and in this contract he sign that he have all permission what he need.sorry, i cant say any other. when someone sell us something and sign a contract that he have all permission.
Ignorance is not a legal defence in any country.

If found to be publishing items in breach of copyright the defendant would still be liable. Even if they *thought* what they were publishing was correctly licensed.

It is the responsibility of the publisher to check the legality of all media thoroughly before distribution.

EDIT: There is no such thing as deferred responsibility WRT copyright.

Last edited by alexh; 22 December 2008 at 13:47.
AdSense AdSense