English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 21 December 2008, 21:40   #41
BuZz
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Oxford / UK
Age: 41
Posts: 582
Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasM View Post
not really. make us trouble, too.

but we have the same contract with tony as with all other developer and artist there work for us.

i can not really check if the user make his work right for the money what he get.
But can you check what make his work to the right what he gets or not really unless he doesn't got the correct permissions ?
BuZz is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 December 2008, 21:44   #42
AndreasM
Registered User
AndreasM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: germany
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuZz View Post
The thing that annoys me about all of this, is AndreasM is the first to send threats via email to anyone who hosts the old software he still sells,
yes, when anyone spread our own software, they get a email. i think email is a very friendly way. or not?

Quote:
but can't admit there is a possibility (actually a likelihood) he himself is breaching copyright too.
what think you for what we make contracts? that the user accept all rights and dont make any wrong. and when not, the user geht trouble with us.

But Tony was maked a very good work. i am sure that he look all rights for the software what he maked on his CDs!
AndreasM is offline  
Old 21 December 2008, 21:50   #43
AndreasM
Registered User
AndreasM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: germany
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuZz View Post
But can you check what make his work to the right what he gets or not really unless he doesn't got the correct permissions ?
a developer or example gfx artist sign in a contract that he have all rights or permission.

and i am sure that he dont broken the contract. the broken contract cost him many money.
AndreasM is offline  
Old 21 December 2008, 21:50   #44
BuZz
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Oxford / UK
Age: 41
Posts: 582
Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasM View Post
yes, when anyone spread our own software, they get a email. i think email is a very friendly way. or not?
well, friendlier than other ways perhaps I'll give you that. I'll even go as far as to say your mail was more friendly than others I've received recently! But I wouldn't go as far as to say "very friendly"


Quote:
what think you for what we make contracts? that the user accept all rights and dont make any wrong. and when not, the user geht trouble with us.

But Tony was maked a very good work. i am sure that he look all rights for the software what he maked on his CDs!
It wouldn't be possible for him to get all the required permissions, but anyway, no-one is going to complain. I was just trying to illustrate something here, which I have now given up on.
BuZz is offline  
Old 21 December 2008, 21:54   #45
AndreasM
Registered User
AndreasM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: germany
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuZz View Post
It wouldn't be possible for him to get all the required permissions,
no. its possible for him. for this me make a contract. when not, he broken the contract and make him many trouble.

Last edited by AndreasM; 21 December 2008 at 22:06.
AndreasM is offline  
Old 21 December 2008, 22:30   #46
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Retro-Nerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Age: 45
Posts: 10,746
This is complete nonsense. This Tony guy can't have the permission for 16000+ demos. You both guys act in the "no one complains/cares" area. Legally you aren't on the save side, no matter what you say/have.

Anyway, no one will sue. And if it did Tony and you would lose. That's for sure.
Retro-Nerd is online now  
Old 21 December 2008, 22:41   #47
qwak
Game Developer
qwak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 78
Send a message via MSN to qwak
What a complete load of nonsense "abandonware" is. It's basically giving a nice, more socially acceptable name, to what is basically an infringement of copyright. Give it a nice name (such as 'abandonware') and people don't feel it's wrong. What pi**es me off is the guys who distribute my (and other) old games, and they charge people to download them.

It's just making money from someone else's hard work.
qwak is offline  
Old 21 December 2008, 22:44   #48
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Retro-Nerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Age: 45
Posts: 10,746
Yep, Abandonware is a fictitious word.
Retro-Nerd is online now  
Old 21 December 2008, 23:23   #49
AndreasM
Registered User
AndreasM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: germany
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
This is complete nonsense. This Tony guy can't have the permission for 16000+ demos. You both guys act in the "no one complains/cares" area. Legally you aren't on the save side, no matter what you say/have.

Anyway, no one will sue. And if it did Tony and you would lose. That's for sure.
hmm

- we dont release 16.000+ demos (on 4 CDs)
- many demos are PD
- for the other give us Tony the contract that he have all permissions what he need.

and i dont think that Tony lie.
AndreasM is offline  
Old 21 December 2008, 23:29   #50
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Retro-Nerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Age: 45
Posts: 10,746
Quote:
- many demos are PD
And as i said you before, there is NO Public Domain in Germany. It's still illlegal, If you don't have the permission/licences for these specific demos. I assume, there are some German demos among them?

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 21 December 2008 at 23:36.
Retro-Nerd is online now  
Old 21 December 2008, 23:35   #51
DDNI
Targ Explorer

DDNI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Ireland
Age: 43
Posts: 5,090
Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
http://atomnet.co.uk/amiga/?p=engine

Wonderful site! Many thanks!!!
DDNI is offline  
Old 22 December 2008, 01:04   #52
BuZz
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Oxford / UK
Age: 41
Posts: 582
Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasM View Post
hmm

- we dont release 16.000+ demos (on 4 CDs)
- many demos are PD
- for the other give us Tony the contract that he have all permissions what he need.

and i dont think that Tony lie.
The scene archives is a 12 disk collection. sure you only have about 4 of them, but we are talking about the fact that it would be impossible for there to be permission for all the items. I don't understand why you just can't admit it. I guess because that would mean you are guilty of the same crime you accuse everyone else of ?

Many demos are PD.. yes perhaps, but many are not. And how do you know which are ?

I can tell you that the scene archives contains demos from people I know personally. I am pretty sure they have no problem with the archive, but I am also sure that they gave no specific permission to anyone for them. Just admit your guilt, and we can carry on. Stop lying to yourself!
BuZz is offline  
Old 22 December 2008, 01:16   #53
BuZz
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Oxford / UK
Age: 41
Posts: 582
Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
And please don't reply again that he has permission which means you do too. Otherwise I'll have to list items on disks which I had direct involvement with and that might make you look silly. You would make yourself look much better by admitting you do exactly the same as the rest of us (well except you charge for items and hound people about illegal activity all the time).

Note that people can get the scene archives for free from torrents or scene.org and it is an excellent collection. (Also zegs demo collection is also very good available on ftp.amigascne.org)
BuZz is offline  
Old 22 December 2008, 01:31   #54
BuZz
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Oxford / UK
Age: 41
Posts: 582
Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuZz View Post
But can you check what make his work to the right what he gets or not really unless he doesn't got the correct permissions ?
btw this was a joke. I had no idea you would actually reply ;-)
BuZz is offline  
Old 22 December 2008, 13:10   #55
AndreasM
Registered User
AndreasM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: germany
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
And as i said you before, there is NO Public Domain in Germany. It's still illlegal, If you don't have the permission/licences for these specific demos. I assume, there are some German demos among them?
lean the law and dont talk avery time bullshit.

when a USA-developer say his software is PD, then is the Software PD in germany too. the USA law work for this and NOT the german law.

when a german-developer use the 31 is it 90% the same as PD.

and wrong. german judge know the words Freeware and PD and accept this.
AndreasM is offline  
Old 22 December 2008, 13:16   #56
AndreasM
Registered User
AndreasM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: germany
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuZz View Post
The scene archives is a 12 disk collection. sure you only have about 4 of them, but we are talking about the fact that it would be impossible for there to be permission for all the items. I don't understand why you just can't admit it. I guess because that would mean you are guilty of the same crime you accuse everyone else of ?

Many demos are PD.. yes perhaps, but many are not. And how do you know which are ?

I can tell you that the scene archives contains demos from people I know personally. I am pretty sure they have no problem with the archive, but I am also sure that they gave no specific permission to anyone for them. Just admit your guilt, and we can carry on. Stop lying to yourself!
Scene Archives are not maked from us. we have with the owner a publishing-contract. and in this contract he sign that he have all permission what he need.

sorry, i cant say any other. when someone sell us something and sign a contract that he have all permission.
AndreasM is offline  
Old 22 December 2008, 13:20   #57
jabsy
Yeah Hup!

jabsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Age: 48
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasM View Post
lean the law and dont talk avery time bullshit.

when a USA-developer say his software is PD, then is the Software PD in germany too. the USA law work for this and NOT the german law.
Just like it works in Sweden for The Pirate Bay???
jabsy is offline  
Old 22 December 2008, 13:33   #58
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Retro-Nerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Age: 45
Posts: 10,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasM View Post
lean the law and dont talk avery time bullshit.


when a german-developer use the 31 is it 90% the same as PD.

and wrong. german judge know the words Freeware and PD and accept this.
Sure, and ALL the German demo maker declared their demos as PD, which NOT exits in the German law.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 22 December 2008 at 15:38.
Retro-Nerd is online now  
Old 22 December 2008, 13:34   #59
AndreasM
Registered User
AndreasM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: germany
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsy View Post
Just like it works in Sweden for The Pirate Bay???
that are diffent things what you mean.

we talk here about the "status" of the software, not what the law allow what the users can do or not.

when example a usa-developer say his software are pd, than are this in every country pd. i dont know any law in any country what change this. a usa-developer can change his mind and say: today i would like use the german law.

when a developer say his software are copyright than are the software under (c) in every country where accept this rights. for this give it contracts between the states.

Retro-Nerd talk here every time about the word "PD" and think wrong. right, the german law-text dont know the word "PD". the but german law know other words for this. that are 90% the same as PD.

and the german judge (thats the possible) accept the status PD and Freeware from other states when he dont damage the german law.
AndreasM is offline  
Old 22 December 2008, 13:41   #60
alexh
Thalion Webshrine
alexh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford
Posts: 11,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasM View Post
Scene Archives are not maked from us. we have with the owner a publishing-contract. and in this contract he sign that he have all permission what he need.sorry, i cant say any other. when someone sell us something and sign a contract that he have all permission.
Ignorance is not a legal defence in any country.

If found to be publishing items in breach of copyright the defendant would still be liable. Even if they *thought* what they were publishing was correctly licensed.

It is the responsibility of the publisher to check the legality of all media thoroughly before distribution.

EDIT: There is no such thing as deferred responsibility WRT copyright.

Last edited by alexh; 22 December 2008 at 13:47.
alexh is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Downloading Value Amiga Forever on new PC karl100100 support.Amiga Forever 2 20 July 2011 00:36
Downloading games on multiple discs HS25 support.Amiga Forever 1 30 April 2011 15:26
Help with Downloading/playing adf games dom_1234 New to Emulation or Amiga scene 2 24 August 2006 07:11
Where can I legally get a imaged set of Workbench disks? The Rom Alien New to Emulation or Amiga scene 12 01 September 2004 11:13

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.28399 seconds with 11 queries