English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 06 April 2009, 00:03   #41
fryguy

I'll buy it when it's released in Sweden.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 06 April 2009, 09:12   #42
kriz

yay! Will be cool to test this
Old 13 April 2009, 10:33   #43
Hobbe

1. Holy maccannoli! what money does to integrity

2. Nintendo DS? apparently I missed like 3 generations of portable consoles?

3. The graphics are just superb, except for Giana's sprite. I like the old "Lita Ford" look better
Old 25 April 2009, 04:50   #44
stefcep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
PSP has Piracy, Nintendo DS has piracy, Wii has Piracy, XB360 has Piracy and finally the PS3 does not!

Which is the least successful.. Yup the one without the piracy.. How ironic eh!
Not ironic at all. I only got an Amiga A500 because I wanted to play games and the SNES I was going to get was too hard to get pirated games for. Bought an A500 for $400 Aus with 1084 and about 100 pirated games. Was i the only one? Went to a user group, about 150 people there all happily sharing pirated floppies, with one or two that had massive 1 gig hard drives willing to put lha'd games on to a floppy for you, for free. I think the Amiga was so succesful because of piracy, but then later this was on reason why it died too.
Old 25 April 2009, 09:35   #45
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcep View Post
I think the Amiga was so succesful because of piracy, but then later this was on reason why it died too.
The more I know about the history of the Amiga, the less I think that piracy has caused its failure. When I got my first PC I was quite surprised that you could copy disks with DOS and they actually work Also I bought my Miggy because I was just impressed with the games I saw and not so much about the swapping that I've done before on the C64 aswell. Geez, I believe even ST owners swapped games
Old 25 April 2009, 12:32   #46
extralife

haha, the amiga didn't die coz of piracy, we can all thank commodore for failing to evolve the amiga as time went by, i mean just look at the a1200, dont get me wrong i love my a1200, but as vanilla it sucks balls and is close to useless, so thx commodore for screwing up the greatest console/homecomputer of all time, i will never forget u
Old 25 April 2009, 13:20   #47
kriz

I think the 1200 was a good success, but the A500+, A600 and the IBM compatible Commodore lost too much money i think...

If Commodore didnt go bust when they did, i bet alot more games would have been made and released through the late part of the 90s...
Old 25 April 2009, 13:51   #48
extralife

im not saying it was a bad machine, infact it's my personal favorite of all time, im just saying it makes no sense stripping it down to the bare minimum making it practically useless, back then every kid on the block had an a500 stuck in the room and moving over to the a1200, wasn't that huuge a step as moving from c64 to a500, and on top of that every game back then was starting to move into being to big to run off of a floppydisk and needed a harddrive, which u would have to install after u payed for your amiga and u then would need to feed some extra ram in there allready from the start since your workbench would otherwise eat up all your "graphics mem", so by that time u would allready had coughed up the same amount of money as a pc would have cost u at that time, so its no surprise people would consider going into other directions, and to top it all of commodore took an even more weird step by launching the cd32 which offcoz would compete directly with their a1200 machine, strange strategy
anyways, this has gone too far allready, great to see giana sisters being revived
Old 25 April 2009, 19:09   #49
Predabot

I think we need an OFFICIAL "most probable reasons why Amiga died" thread. It' something I've been thinking about for some time now. Get ALL the verifiable facts into one thread, and then single out the most common theories, hopefully based on facts... -about why Amiga died.

Perhaps it sounds a bit morbid, but I think it could actually be a really, really interesting thread.
Old 26 July 2009, 01:57   #50
laffer
Zone Friend

Giana Sisters remake for Nintendo DS - anyone played it?

I'm wondering how the DS version of Giana Sisters is like... it looks nice in the video, but it seems to be too easy, maybe.... but perhaps they're only showing early stages in this video.

[ Show youtube player ]

Anyway, this is a game I might buy... I hardly ever use the DS but this looks interesting.

EDIT - damn, missed the thread in the News section about this game! Sorry!
Old 26 July 2009, 02:01   #51
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

From what i've read the most (80-90%) of the levels are way too easy. Only the last 8-10 "should" be more challenging.
Old 26 July 2009, 02:02   #52
laffer
Zone Friend

Oh... damn. That sucks. I probably won't get it then, it'll just end up annoying me.
I hate it when potentially great platformers are ruined by being way too easy.
A prime example of this is Jazz Jackrabbit 2.
Old 26 July 2009, 02:05   #53
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
Oh... damn. That sucks. I probably won't get it then, it'll just end up annoying me.
I hate it when potentially great platformers are ruined by being way too easy.
A prime example of this is Jazz Jackrabbit 2.
There are ways to make any game more challenging... like playing when you are really tired
Old 26 July 2009, 03:57   #54
extralife

I played this one and I think it's a great platform game, though imho it's not as good as the old one, but I think they did an exellent job trying to remake/renew it and it still has a top notch feel to it when u jump around the platforms and I think i saw some hints of the old levels in there, which is great I think, allso there are some new stuff, like floating with bubble gum ballons
I didn't like the change to the powerup system though,it does its job well, but the old one was better at that. I think the graphics and particually the sound deserves to be mentioned, coz its very, very good. Detailed and nicely updated cute graphics that I think fits the game very well, but what really takes the cake is truely the sound, it's just soo awesome.
This one is NOT a disapointing remake, it's pure fun, oldschool 2d platforming and imho a very well crafted little gem for the DS and it's one of those games u just slam in there for some quick fun. I love this game
Old 26 July 2009, 04:46   #55
kriz

ahh cool review extralife! I need to play it
Old 27 July 2009, 06:11   #56
extralife

thx kriz
well it deserves a try at least
Old 27 July 2009, 19:59   #57
radon_22

It *is* easy for the first several levels, but does increase in difficulty as it goes along.

So, it looks like we now have 4 Amiga "ports" to the DS. Can't wait to see which one is ported next.
Old 27 July 2009, 20:55   #58
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Just tried the first 10 levels (too easy as already mentioned) in NO$GBA. It's indeed a nice platformer with a great playability, beautiful graphics/music.

Old 27 July 2009, 22:54   #59
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

What Retro-Nerd said.
Old 28 July 2009, 18:26   #60
Akira

The graphics on this version are beautiful and the music score properly re-made, I really like this game, but yes, it's quite on the easy side of things.

Still, it's great to see a 2D platformer of this quality released today.
AdSense AdSense