English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 April 2002, 21:28   #1
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Question Adult gamers...Should we grow up?

Personally I dont see why? Its a harmless hobby and is thoroughly enjoyable.
So why do I always feel slighty reluctant to talk about it with non-gaming adults? Is it just me? Maybe Im paranoid but I get the impression that my favourite past time is STILL regarded as immature.
Any thoughts? :theparano :theparano
AdSense AdSense  
Old 05 April 2002, 21:38   #2
jmmijo

I've got no problems talking with others about my habit. I retort with, would you rather me have a nasty crack habit and come into your homes to steal just to support that habit

Of course with some users, 'Evercrack' really has them by the balls, but I think it's more a matter of choice. You could build models, planes, trains, cars, you name it, how about fishing, boating, skiing, hiking, there are so many hobbies that you could talk about this one subject forever.

If you still feel uncomfortable discussing this subject with other non-gaming people then perhaps you havne't come to grips with this yourself. Perhaps some of the stigma that others label computer/console gamers with is the non-social part of this. Most gamers tend not to interact with others, even online play you are hidden behind an avatar, like we each have one on EAB But myself I love talking with most people in person as well. I tend to go to as many LAN gaming events as possible, just for this social interaction. There you meet people from all areas and walks of life, they are not just loners and people that can't interact with others, well at least most are this way

I hope you one day see this as a hobby/activity that you enjoy and can feel proud of and not feel ashamed to talk about it with others
Old 05 April 2002, 21:54   #3
Drake1009

I think I talk way too much about gaming already to be considered having problems talking about it.

I think the reason people would have problems talking to other non-gaming adults about the subject would be that it's still regarded as a child's pasttime while stamp collection, fishing, gardening is something which have been around for a long time and you have something to show for it. It's not like a game will print out a proof of completeion. Besides there's all the gamers who cheat to complete a game. It's somewhat hard to cheat in gardening, or stamp collection for that matter. Accepted games among adults are usually something physically active which is why it's activity. The thought of games without the social interaction you get and the physical excersice seems strange. It seems like you're wasting your time, when in fact you're more active than the average person sitting in front of the television watching Jerry Lake or Ricky Springer or whatever they're called.
Old 05 April 2002, 23:53   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

The people I work with don't mind me talking about games (although I rarely do) since a lot of them talk of games (only crappy modern stuff). What gets them rolling their eyes and making smart-ass gestures is when I use the "A" word (Amiga, natch). I can usually shut them up by showing them some Workbench screen grabs. Then I tell them how foolish they are making fun of a computer that is light years ahead of their crash box, when they've never even used one. Those Workbench screens really show a machine that is customizable and beautiful. Ever seen Windows look that good?

Anyway, that shuts them up and I feel smug, then when I talk about games, they know it's something better than their 3D FPS games (which I also make fun of regularly).

And my friends' jaws drop when they visit and see the mountain of boxed games. When my Amiga was working, I'd fire up Battle Squadron or something and let them play for a few minutes, then start showing them WHD euro demos. I could sell Amigas all day long doing this...
Old 06 April 2002, 02:48   #5
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Please dont misunderstand
I have never denied being a gamer because I am embarressed or anything like that. Its simply that I do not volunteer the info to non gamers. If a non games player were to mention the subject to me, then they will soon wish they hadnt after being bored to death by my endless waffling. lol
Its just that I feel there is still a stigma attached to gaming, even these days. I will be a gamer forever and am proud to be. I just dont understand why its still regarded as 'childish' when 99% of the games I play would be FAR too difficult for any child.
Old 06 April 2002, 06:19   #6
RocketMack

Stamp collecting, model building, fishing, etc. have been around as hobbies for hundreds of years. They have been accepted as healthy pastimes for adults and children alike.

The hobby of electronic game collecting has only been around for three or four decades. It takes time to establish a genre' as an acceptable hobby. I still remember the surprised look on the faces of others as I put together my first collections of Spiderman and Fantastic Four comics back in the early sixties. They were kept neatly with my toy metal robots. "You're wasting your time", they said...

I go with my feelings. To hell with what others think. The eye and ear candy provided by electronic games lifts my spirits and brings back waves of nostalgia just like an old song. Besides, I don't think this gravy train of free trading and downloading will last forever. Someone is going to figure out how to regulate all this soon and you will value what you already have.

As far as outgrowing the hobby, I'm fifty years old and I know that when I'm ninety I'll still have and play my games, along with my comics and toy robots...

Consider yourself as a pioneer!

Last edited by RocketMack; 06 April 2002 at 06:28.

Old 06 April 2002, 06:58   #7
Nian

Gaming Stigma

I fail to see what anyones opinion other than your own has anything to do with your prefered hobby and past time. If you enjoy it then do it but just make sure it doesn't affect anyone else. So if your married and you love games atleast try and give your man/woman some attention atleast once a day. Realy great games can keep you stuck to the screen for weeks and thats not good for your or the people your close to, Oh except for other hard core gamers, then they probably expect you to be playing the game so you can have your Level70 Barbarian in Diablo2... But for others just try and look like you are paying attention to them. And as for "Completing the game certificates" why don't the companies bring back those old competitions of the first 100-1000 to complete the game get a prize. Just like in Battletech The Cresent Hawk Inception. You find the type of mech or whatever in the end, send the answer in to FASA and they gave you a Minature Model Mech. Kewl ey!

So what can we as gamers do to make our chosen hobby an acceptable and respected past time? Well lets start by having competitions, have your clubs and net meets have the lan meets and monthly gamers news letter. Make it seem an active and sociable hobby to others and to ourselves, I for one miss the once great Amiga user groups that had their monthly Gaming competitions with RType2 and SensiSoccer... So c'mon people lets start the ball rolling, lets tell all the amiga game programmers to make their games networkable. Lets get a decent UAE for the new amigas, Have UAE do the kalilera properly. I for one would like to see someone get all the original source code of amiga games that still exist and make the games networkable. Hell lets make sequels, prequels and just damned nice remakes. And for one last thing. For a start lets try and get the source to the unfinished HiredGuns CD32. Hell what a game it would be over the net ppl!

So enjoy the games of today and enjoy more the classics of yesterday. Help steer the games of tomorow to be like yesterdays and then be happy. Realy, all a hobby is is to do 2 things, Either distract yourself from yourself or to expand your imagination. Lets hope we get both because withough games like Lotus2 where would you do to forget all your worries and just play play play.
Old 06 April 2002, 07:48   #8
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I don't talk much about games with non-gamers friends, mainly because they would be bored as hell with it. As much as if someone came and begun to talk a lot about , say, gardening or skateboarding, mainly because I don't give a shit for this. I may talk just a bit, because I believe everyone is interested in general subjects, but if you begin to get deeper in a subject someone is not interested, he will just get bored...

This happens with my girlfriend, as I spend a lot of time with her, I sometimes begin to talk about games with her, without noticing, and I quickly notice she isn't even barely interested...

So, I think you can talk about games with non-gamers people, but if you begin to get to deep, and notice the other one is getting bored, just stop

I am not afraid of telling I like games... unlike some people believe, it's not a obsession for it, it's just a hobby.. some people like collecting stamps or fishing, I like to collect games and play them. And it's a waste of time as the other hobbies. And at least, I doubt stamps or fishing can interested EVERYONE, and in the other side, I bet EVERYONE IN THE WORLD would get interested in at least ONE game ... I know I can always find a game that will interest someone (My girlfriend, again, for example, likes World of Illusion on Mega-Drive )
Old 06 April 2002, 08:36   #9
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Re: Adult gamers...Should we grow up?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dastardly
Personally I dont see why? Its a harmless hobby and is thoroughly enjoyable.
So why do I always feel slighty reluctant to talk about it with non-gaming adults? Is it just me? Maybe Im paranoid but I get the impression that my favourite past time is STILL regarded as immature.
Any thoughts? :theparano :theparano
Should we grow up ?

NO ! The amiga MUST LIVE
Old 07 April 2002, 16:29   #10
Miggy2TheMax

Quote:
Originally posted by RocketMack
Stamp collecting, model building, fishing, etc. have been around as hobbies for hundreds of years. They have been accepted as healthy pastimes for adults and children alike.

The hobby of electronic game collecting has only been around for three or four decades. It takes time to establish a genre' as an acceptable hobby. I still remember the surprised look on the faces of others as I put together my first collections of Spiderman and Fantastic Four comics back in the early sixties. They were kept neatly with my toy metal robots. "You're wasting your time", they said...

I go with my feelings. To hell with what others think. The eye and ear candy provided by electronic games lifts my spirits and brings back waves of nostalgia just like an old song. Besides, I don't think this gravy train of free trading and downloading will last forever. Someone is going to figure out how to regulate all this soon and you will value what you already have.

As far as outgrowing the hobby, I'm fifty years old and I know that when I'm ninety I'll still have and play my games, along with my comics and toy robots...

Consider yourself as a pioneer!
I think that RocketMack hit the nail on the head, retro gaming has not been around for long and therefore has not really been accepted as much of a hobby in the non-gamer circle. Therefore that is the main reason why you would feel unconfortable talking to them about it.

I think it will take time, before retro gaming will be classified as a hobby as such. Oh well, in the mean time all those other ppl do not know what they are missing out on .... their loss, our gain ... game on !!
Old 08 April 2002, 02:03   #11
kafiend

Stop thinking along the lines that playing games is a childlike occupation. The list of adult oriented/content based games is huge.
I am proud to be a hardcore gamer, its irrelevant what system it is on. I love my Amiga games the same as i love my PC games and in fact all games on platform. My circle of friends include gamers and non games and I of course just temper my conversation to fit the situation.
Old 08 April 2002, 02:27   #12
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
i've been playing computer and video games for the last 15 or so years...

i think now computer and video games are generally accepted by the mainstream, like or loath them, Sony helped to make video gaming cool, but back in the day, if you played games you were considered a nerd or such like, i think people's attitudes have changed a lot...

i also believe that gaming with get more and more accepted as new genres appear, whether that is a good thing or a bad thing is a totally different matter.

i have never considered myself a nerd or whatever because i am a Gamehead, talking with people at work, most of them played games around the mid 80s, so we chat about the good old days, they might not be into gaming now though.

i suppose i do normal things for a person of my age, i did the ibiza thing a few years ago, pub and clubbing scene, i have a girlfriend and a 3yr old daughter, the only thing that hasn't changed in my life is the fact that i play games (sometimes a bit too much i must admit (bloody unreal tournament online)).

so i guess the bottom line is, i don't consider playing games a kids only thing, i will probably be playing games the day i die.
Old 08 April 2002, 02:33   #13
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay
.... i will probably be playing games the day i die.
GAME OVER MAN
Old 08 April 2002, 05:48   #14
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

lol

Yeah, I believe I'll be playing games 'til I die too...

BTW, what the hell is Ibiza ? This name rings me a bell, but as I am from Brazil, whatever it is, it wasn't around here..
Old 08 April 2002, 07:48   #15
Drake1009

I think Ibiza is some iland of sorts.

And it would be horrid not being able to play games when you get older

"Whut? whut do you say? I should press the 15 butons at the same time and turn 150 degrees to make a simple kick? I want my old gamepad back. I don't care if it's broken into 10 pieces because you took a screwdriver to it junior, I want it back"
Old 08 April 2002, 11:58   #16
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
lol

Yeah, I believe I'll be playing games 'til I die too...

BTW, what the hell is Ibiza ? This name rings me a bell, but as I am from Brazil, whatever it is, it wasn't around here..
Spanish Island, basically its the dance club teen sex capital of the world.
Old 08 April 2002, 15:40   #17
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

That was my guess...

Old 12 April 2002, 17:11   #18
Tim Janssen

Arrow Retro freak

I don't have anything what isn't said to this thread. My experience is that telling people you are retrogamer and you collect hundreds of retrogames is like confessing you are an über-geek. Why collecting software for dead machines when you can do something valuable in your spare time like football and cooking?
People are frownsing at you and ask stupid questions like “Are you playing all these old games” and “Why do you play them? -they look so blocky”.
Like other people in this thread I think retrogaming is a relatively new and misunderstood hobby which will attract more people as the years go by.
Old 12 April 2002, 18:37   #19
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
Quote:
you are retrogamer and you collect hundreds of retrogames is like confessing you are an über-geek
luckly i work with like minded people, and because "I Know My Shit" (not my quote) they respect that.

a m8 of mine is a club DJ is considered V.COOL, we often bang of about retro arcade hits, like Gorf etc... so it just goes to show
AdSense AdSense