English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 03 November 2008, 09:50   #1
mrbob2

How fast is WINUAE compared to a real amiga?

I was just wondering the other day. I have a 3gb quad core 8800gt powered dell pc and of course, winuae flies. I think its faster than my 68060 which was good, but im sure i get more fps from winuae.

I played sensible soccer on the psp the other day(2006 version), it was awful!! Its always made me wonder what sensible software could have done, if they had an amiga that was as good as i have on winuae. I dont mean with 3gb etc, just the emulated amiga i have. Its FAST, has 32mb of ram and 8mb chip. It would be amazing to see what they could have achived, better gfx, sound and a bigger games (swos).

This may be a daft question as ive been on here for so long but do people still write games for the amiga/winuae (homebrew) i dont mean a paman clone, im talking about a game that pushes the hardware beyond what publishers ever did.

I remember a demo on the speccy, a few years after it died, that used fancy hardware coding that allowed any colour per pixel dots. Wondered if the amiga has anything like that. I know theres a GTA clone type thing but wondered if theres anything else. Maybe something that can only be done on winuae BUT only uses the amiga config/emu options.

thank for reading
AdSense AdSense  
Old 03 November 2008, 09:58   #2
TCD

Hi mrbob2,

if I got it right you are asking if there is any game/demo/program that would only run in full speed on WinUAE (or has other WinUAE exclusive features). As far as I know there is none and I think there will never be one. Current developments aim mainly at the A1200/A4000 platform, while in the scene (demos) there are demos from a quite basic A500 OCS setup to PPC accelerated demos.

As for speed alone : When you enable JIT and let WinUAE use your raw PC CPU power it's pretty fast
Old 03 November 2008, 10:20   #3
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

The 68k version of Quake 2 is unplayable on a real Amiga, but it flies in WinUAE on a PC of moderate spec (by today's standards). I'm sure I read somewhere that the 68k version was created by Hyperion for the emulator market, but I doubt this was the official reason.

Steve.
Old 03 November 2008, 10:49   #4
zipper

Nemac IV wasn't too fast on bigger screens and the videos didn't shine either, with 060. Only on WinUAE could I finally get the full experience - of course almost all RTG games run faster on emulation. And JetPilot does stable 16.66 fps, when on 060 it did something 6-12 I think...
Old 03 November 2008, 13:54   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
The 68k version of Quake 2 is unplayable on a real Amiga
Yeah? Even a 68060 with a gfx card?

Quote:
but it flies in WinUAE on a PC of moderate spec (by today's standards).
Yeah! I mean it gets upto at least oooo, what... 1/100th speed of native x86 Quake2 on the same computer?

Quote:
I'm sure I read somewhere that the 68k version was created by Hyperion for the emulator market, but I doubt this was the official reason.
No one would make a game for the emulator market if a native port exists. No-one is stoopid enough to buy / use it. I bet they were making it for PPC, they had the tools to compile for 68k and thought... I wonder... Hey dude it compiles! Cool huh huh? Yeah! Heh heh! Slow eh? Heh, Heh! This sucks! Heh, heh! Need TV for my bumhole slow heh heh!

Last edited by alexh; 03 November 2008 at 13:59.
Old 03 November 2008, 14:08   #6
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
No one would make a game for the emulator market if a native port exists. No-one is stoopid enough to buy / use it. I bet they were making it for PPC, they had the tools to compile for 68k and thought... I wonder... Hey dude it compiles! Cool huh huh? Yeah! Heh heh! Slow eh? Heh, Heh! This sucks! Heh, heh! Need TV for my bumhole slow heh heh!
Making a port to run on emulators that run on the platform that is the originals native is... well... you know I always wondered which specs for a PPC it takes to run Heretic 2?
Old 03 November 2008, 14:51   #7
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Send a message via MSN to MazinKaesar Send a message via Yahoo to MazinKaesar
I only had a 1200/030@42mhz so for me WinUAE is really fast. Anyway, I emulate 68040 and use Workbench 3.1.
Old 03 November 2008, 18:53   #8
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
i to wish ppl would code to the amiga enviroment of WINUAE utilising its new features and emence processing power compared to a vinila A1200 or A500 but it seems ppl are tide to the hardware
Old 03 November 2008, 19:04   #9
mrbob2

I remember having breathless on my A1200, back then the setup was an 040 card with 8mb chip and it struggled with the framerate, back then the gfx were amazing and i dreamed of playing at high fps. Then i paid something like 400 for an `060 card and it was lovely, then i discovered that the games wasnt all that good lol.

I kinda guess what i meant was, in the olden days people wrote gfx intensive games, 1 that springs to mind (that flight one) with the fighert jet, cuamiga gave it away, something....FX. Back then it needed a powerful amiga, or even a ppc processor. I guess WINUAE is the spec of amigans dreams back in `92.
Old 03 November 2008, 19:32   #10
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob2 View Post
I kinda guess what i meant was, in the olden days people wrote gfx intensive games, 1 that springs to mind (that flight one) with the fighert jet, cuamiga gave it away, something....FX. Back then it needed a powerful amiga, or even a ppc processor. I guess WINUAE is the spec of amigans dreams back in `92.
That would be TFX (Tactical Fighter Experiment)
Old 09 November 2008, 09:25   #11
jotd
Cat freak

I benched a lzx operation on a 1,1GHz Pentium III once. WinUAE was 5 times faster than my 68060/50MHz.
PC ram is faster, JIT flies, PC disks are faster, PC video is faster...

As for games, the slow chipmem has no impact in WinUAE. 68060 boards have very slow chipmem (my Phase5 has).
Old 14 November 2008, 23:25   #12
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Hmmm, chipmem...

...I remember, it was my late teens. A cold and frosty night after an evening's gigging. Mist drifting through the pub car park off the river Ouse. Hungry!
And there it was. A death-burger van, still open for glorious lard-encrusted business. The chips I bought were so good; with a perfect touch of salt 'n vinegar. I tell you that vendor of fine foodstuffs was in his own way a genius!
I had to have another portion, it would have been a crime against late nights after the pub not to sample that newspaper wrapped glory one more time.

Ah, such a happy chipmem.
Old 14 November 2008, 23:31   #13
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Hmmm, chipmem...

...I remember, it was my late teens. A cold and frosty night after an evening's gigging. Mist drifting through the pub car park off the river Ouse. Hungry!
And there it was. A death-burger van, still open for glorious lard-encrusted business. The chips I bought were so good; with a perfect touch of salt 'n vinegar. I tell you that vendor of fine foodstuffs was in his own way a genius!
I had to have another portion, it would have been a crime against late nights after the pub not to sample that newspaper wrapped glory one more time.

Ah, such a happy chipmem.
You're a genius and now I'm hungry Thanks for the great 'chipmem' Charlie
Old 15 November 2008, 00:14   #14
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

You are a gentleman sir!
AdSense AdSense