English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 03 April 2002, 14:53   #21
Zeewolf

@Steve

Bloodwych was an amazing game in its day, a great 2 player game!!
Me & my m8 would spend days upon days playing this, without any breaks!!
It made for a great teamwork game, I cant really remember too many games like it!

AdSense AdSense  
Old 03 April 2002, 15:11   #22
oldpx

@steve
What do you mean by saying "even the ishars". Surely EOBs playability is better than ishars but Ishar III has the best graphics I've seen on Amiga.

Old 03 April 2002, 16:23   #23
Steve
Kickstarter Addict!

Big grin

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
@steve
What do you mean by saying "even the ishars". Surely EOBs playability is better than ishars but Ishar III has the best graphics I've seen on Amiga.
Graphics don't make everything. I played Ishar III for months. It's got really good atmosphere and of course good graphics as well. It is AGA after all. I still mean to complete that game one day. Overall the game isn't in the same class as DM or EOB1&2. Amiga Classics. They are in the RPG Premiership alongside Liberation. I'd say Ishar III is Division 1. It's good but not the best. As for Bloodwych... that would struggle to get into a league of pub teams. LOL. I've not tried it in multiplayer but what I saw of the single player experience wasn't very much fun. Apart from the moment when I laughed at it.
:laugh

Hey Poppe have you tried Dragon Wars. That's another RPG.
Old 03 April 2002, 17:37   #24
Bloodwych

STEVE – BLASPHEMY

You've posted above that “graphics don’t make everything” and then go on to insult a game you’ve played for 2 seconds, all because the graphics are crap LOL You must admit that’s a bit hypocritical.

Bloodwych has SOOO much more depth once played with a mate split screen, hence the various bold pointers given above because I predicted an ignorant response such as yours! I’ve spent so many hours on this game it’s not funny (and every friend who has every played it LOVES this game).

The game itself was released in 1989 (well before most others) and remains one of the only two player split screen RPGs in existence! It was unique for the time, which is what made it stand out. You really have to appreciate the era this game was played in. It can’t have really good graphics due to the implementation of the two player system – it was designed to be played with joysticks hence lots of screen space for icons and in fact this works extremely well.

It’s very hard to give a game as old as this a chance in modern times and your assessment is understandable, but those who played it back then when it was first released will tell you it’s a great game for the gameplay, teamwork, 2-player fighting and puzzles. The spells are real fun as well – Zeewolf, remember locking your mates in rooms with summons, killing yourself with arcbolt or your mate cursing you as you crapped witchwind everywhere - this game ooozzzed playability. It also introduced many elements of unique roleplaying never before seen at this time.

I’ve already admitted the other games are far better for a one player romp, but you really can’t judge this game unless you sit down and play it the way it was designed to be played – 2 player team work (or fights!).

As for the Darlo jibe, that’s a bit low in the belt. Can’t help but notice you’re not proud enough to post your home residence so how can I fight back?

Darlington's great – home of the world’s first railway, best division 3 football stadium, the brick train and Routes 66 cheap vodka! We’re even written on the £5 note. How many places in the UK have that privilege?

And to think I'd uploaded Hunter HD for you. (Joking)

*Please take my defence in good light-hearted humour Steve, as I have your jibes!

PS isn't it funny how defensive we all get about something that's so down to personnel taste and experience. We'll never agree!

Last edited by Bloodwych; 03 April 2002 at 17:46.
Old 03 April 2002, 17:51   #25
Steve
Kickstarter Addict!

Big grin

LOL. I take it in good humour don't worry. I wasn't slating the game just for the gfx. It just felt very PD while I was playing it. The sound and the lame combat. The tiny display. I suppose it could potentially be much better with 2 players. I live in St Helens by the way. Jibe away.
Old 03 April 2002, 18:23   #26
Steve
Kickstarter Addict!

Happy

If anyones interested I've just found this for sale on ebay. It looks to be in pretty good condition:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=1343211971

I'm going to plug my own auction now. LOL

http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo....a?aID=64070989

Bargain!!
Old 03 April 2002, 18:34   #27
Bloodwych

The game is not the best on first impressions (as many reviews said) but after a few hours with a mate you would have soon been sucked in (well in 1989 anyway! ). It received some good reviews if I remember rightly, but not the highest in the graphics and sound department

If this title had been released in 1994 with the same playability, more eye candy and running from 5 disks (eg, Hired Guns) people would be more ready to accept it. Thankfully, the graphics & sound don't distract from the overall gameplay, just act as a wall for new people to accepts its charms.

As for the combat system, don't be fooled by the flapping arms thing! Once you develop more spells it's more fun than many other RPG's!

I could go on defending the game with positives and you insulting with negatives until we're blue in the face but since....

"Isn't it funny how defensive we all get about something that's so down to personnel taste and experience. We'll never agree! "

.....it's probably pointless to do so.

Your choice, Dungeon Master, was the game that got me interested in Bloodwych in the first place . That was one hell of a pioneering release and if it wasn't DM, I probably wouldn’t have experienced the essence of what is Bloodwych (for those who Dare tm. )

BTW, I've found I need to point out the light hearted thing because some people fail to sense irony and turn threads into a flame war! Glad not too many people on EAB have this problem. Better safe than sorry however.
Old 03 April 2002, 18:47   #28
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
If anyones interested I've just found this for sale on ebay. It looks to be in pretty good condition:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=1343211971

I'm going to plug my own auction now. LOL

http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo....a?aID=64070989

Bargain!!
Nice find! That looks like the data disk box (Bloodwych 2) to me - the original Bloodwych is in an all black box.

I'm hugging the original now in my arms - everything about my precious copy is in pristine condition bar one item - the white disk is black through too much use. Thank goodness it still works!

If that's the data disk I'm off to buy, thanks Steve!

Your lot seems very reasonable - it would make someone a great little WinUAE setup.
Old 03 April 2002, 21:04   #29
oldpx

Quote:
I've played Ishar III but it really pisses me off when your forced to disband your beloved team! All that work then BANG
Actually you don't build the party in ishar 3. All your party members are already high-level characters when they join and they don't gain any levels for a very long time so replacing them is not that painful as long as you don't lose their inventories, but of course it harms the team spirit.

Old 03 April 2002, 23:52   #30
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloodwych
Nice find! That looks like the data disk box (Bloodwych 2) to me - the original Bloodwych is in an all black box.
Well, yes and no. Like most games, this game had several releases. There was the black one, the one as seen on the auction, and there was also a budget reissue from Mirror Image which used the dark box surrounded by the lighter Mirror Image typical box. Here's a scan of the PC version of the US-released (Konami) version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bloodwych (pc).jpg
Views:	315
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	2119  
Old 04 April 2002, 00:01   #31
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

i think bloodwych is right in this case though because if you look very carefully at the bottom of the box of the one being auctioned it looks to me like it says data disk on it
Old 04 April 2002, 00:04   #32
Bloodwych

Thanks Twistin, but I can see a hint of the words DATA DISK on the box in the pic!!!

Have a little peak

EDIT: Darn! BelGarath beat me too it!

Crap, where is the "Buy it now" option when you need it?
Old 07 July 2002, 19:06   #33
Blodwyn

Ten reasons why everyone should play BLOODWYCH.

1. Death-matches.
2. Arc-bolts.
3. Scrolls that read 'Look behind you'.
4. Mr Flay. Thin as a rake, armour him and he becomes Mr Muscle.
5. Death-matches.
6. Giant feathered-type monsters - very cool.
7. Disrupt.
9. Wychwind.
8. Blaze.
10. Did I mention death-matches?

Old 09 July 2002, 17:21   #34
Bloodwych

^^^^^ I couldn't have said so better myself - thanks Blodwyn!

I'll just add a couple:

11. Killing yourself and team mates by accident with arcbolt and wychwind while the monster it was intended for survives!

12. Fun spells like Summon (letting your mate go ahead then locking him in a room full of 'em).

The death match point is a very good one. Bloodwych players were playing the "Deathmatch" well before FPS hit the market.

Here is a list of the alternative spell names we used to use:

Summon - we called the guys produced "FatJabbers"

Wychwind - we called "Winnet-wind", because you'd crap out blue shit all over! ("Winnet" is slang, please don't ask what it means - you really don't want to know).

Have you played the Data-Disk/extended levels Blodwyn?
Old 09 July 2002, 21:22   #35
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloodwych Wychwind - we called "Winnet-wind", because you'd crap out blue shit all over! ("Winnet" is slang, please don't ask what it means - you really don't want to know).....

Ah, come on, enquiring minds want to know :laugh
Old 09 July 2002, 22:54   #36
Blodwyn

Quote:

Have you played the Data-Disk/extended levels Blodwyn?
That's a very good question! You see, I never could play the data disk on my A500 because the bloody thing didn't work! Very, very annoying. A school-friend of mine had the original and it worked perfectly on his A500, but it ALWAYS crashed on mine while loading. Maybe it had something to do with our Agnus chip versions, I don't know.

Old 10 July 2002, 01:07   #37
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
("Winnet" is slang, please don't ask what it means - you really don't want to know).
I havent heard that word since I was at school!
Old 10 July 2002, 11:24   #38
Marcuz
Wurk???

well, if you liked the gold box series: PERIHELION!
many of the others i could have suggest are already up there
AdSense AdSense