English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 April 2002, 18:16   #1
poppe

Send a message via ICQ to poppe
roleplaying games..

If i love eye of the beholder and the ssi goldbox games, what other roleplaying games can someone recomend?

Last edited by poppe; 02 April 2002 at 18:35.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 02 April 2002, 18:25   #2
Zeewolf

Thumbs up

Definitely Might & Magic 2!!

One of my all time fave's!!

Old 02 April 2002, 19:23   #3
Steve
Kickstarter Addict!

Big grin

Dungeon Master every time. The original and best RPG of them all. Also try the Ishar games and even Liberation: Captive II.
Old 02 April 2002, 20:34   #4
Uukrul

Ambermoon. But there is a problem: if you play this game you'll never like another RPG, so you're adviced

Old 02 April 2002, 20:39   #5
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Uukrul
Ambermoon. But there is a problem: if you play this game you'll never like another RPG, so you're adviced
So this is the "crack" version of all RPG's then
Old 02 April 2002, 21:02   #6
oldpx

Ishar series! Especially Ishar III AGA

Old 02 April 2002, 21:09   #7
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

I don't know about the SSI style ones, but in Eye of the Beholder style ( with realtime fighting, not strategic ) there is:

Dungeon Master I & II ( II is AGA only )
the DM sequel Chaos Strikes Back
Black Crypt
Crystal Dragon ( very similar to DM )
Knightmare
Abandoned Places I & II

From the above I have played DM, EOB I & II and Abandoned Places I ( which I can recommend a lot since it is basically like EOB, but better imo )

Also Amberstar & Ambermoon are very good RPGs, but they are not exactly in EOB style.
Old 02 April 2002, 22:07   #8
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

All very good games mentioned there, i'd also add Ultima VI to the list.
Old 02 April 2002, 22:40   #9
Bloodwych

NO CONTEST!!!!

My name says it all:

BLOODWYCH is THE all time best!!!!!

Well, as long as you have a friend to accompany you on the quest If not, one of the others above are good I suppose

Bloodwych has to be one of the most underrated games of all time. It's unique in that it's a 2-player RPG and although it has a one player option, it only truly shines in split screen mode.

I've written posts on this fabulous game before, so while I go and dig them up (if they're still around) have a look at this site:

Bloodwych, for those who dare!
Old 03 April 2002, 00:50   #10
jmmijo

Re: NO CONTEST!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloodwych
My name says it all:

BLOODWYCH is THE all time best!!!!!
Yes this is a good one too, I have both the Amiga and PC versions, no comparison at all, the Amiga version is the best but since I got the PC version for free, I can't complain at all
Old 03 April 2002, 00:59   #11
Zeewolf

Hmmmm, I never really realised how many brilliant RPG's were released on the Amiga!!

Does anybody think we'll see any of these classics on the GBA?
The amount of games we've seen ported from the Amiga to the GBA, just wouldnt it be nice to have an RPG too!!

Old 03 April 2002, 01:01   #12
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

there was a prototype of eye of the beholder on the good old atari lynx so hopefully some of these will make there way to the gba!
Old 03 April 2002, 02:00   #13
poppe

Thanks for all the tips. i´m suprised nobody talked anything bout hired guns. i´m the first to question if it can be placed in the roleplaying genre but it is surely related. i think it is THE game. played it for hours and hours with my brother and his friends. playing hired guns with 3-4 human players kicks all the multiplayer doom clones away. it is just amazing.

Bloodwych seems very intresting. going to check it out tomorrow.

Am i the onlyone hating black crypt? I always thought it was kind of soulless. No feeling and no atmosphere.

Thanks alot everyone.
Old 03 April 2002, 02:03   #14
poppe

..or bloodnet. remember playing it for hours and hours until it crashed somewhere along the way. stupid crack i supose.
Old 03 April 2002, 13:04   #15
Bloodwych

I'll admit, hired guns is a great multiplayer just beaten by Bloodwych in my opinion. If you check out the game, don't forget to play Bloodwych 2 (named the extended levels/data disk) as it's got some additional neat features. I'd just like to reiterate however:

This game MUST be played 2-player split screen. It's blasphemy to do otherwise! (And you'll see why when you start a one-player game, it only uses half the screen!)

jmmijo - Yep, Amiga games were all still superior in that era (and still are?). The PC Bloodwych also has a bug (no surprises there) meaning it's impossible to finish the game!!!!

Black Crypt - did anyone ever finish this? I remember playing it for days only to get stuck very deep into the game. Can't remember where since it's been so long; I'll have to dig up the save disk.

Burseg - I've played Ishar III but it really pisses me off when your forced to disband your beloved team! All that work then BANG - some loser has to travel with you for a while forcing you to sacrifice your favourite characters. It does create a real RPG atmosphere though, especially the intro music.

About RPG's on the GBA:

I'd love to see a modern Bloodwych on the GBA!!!! On link-up it'd prove a most excellent experience, if not a little strenuous on the eyes.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 03 April 2002 at 13:10.
Old 03 April 2002, 13:11   #16
RetroMan

This thread reminds me about the fact, that my Bloodwych Data Disk (Bloodwych 2) is broken, may someone please upload it ? thx ....
Old 03 April 2002, 13:11   #17
poppe

..why not hired guns, 4 player... that would really convince me to get a gba.
Old 03 April 2002, 13:19   #18
Bloodwych

Retroman, you do realise that you need a Bloodwych save position to play the data disk?

If you're playing the game on a real Amiga the disk versions are fine, but for emulators use the hard drive versions, they work a treat!

Here is the Amiga download page from the site linked above. It should have everything you need:

Amiga Download Page
Old 03 April 2002, 13:46   #19
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
This game MUST be played 2-player split screen. It's blasphemy to do otherwise! (And you'll see why when you start a one-player game, it only uses half the screen!)
I think the blasphemy is that the programmers didn't make the one-player mode full screen!
Old 03 April 2002, 14:48   #20
Steve
Kickstarter Addict!

Big grin

Hey Bloodwych. I decided to go to your site and download Bloodwych and give it a try out. I was astounded with what I saw. What a pile of shit this game is. How can you possibly like it. It's not even in the same class as DM or EOB or even the Ishars. The graphics are just terrible and the playability even worse. The people walking around (or should I say floating) look like they've just came out of an episode of South Park. Simply awfull. It looks like a dodgy PD game. Me thinks you must be completely insane to like this game. Hold on I've just noticed you're from Darlington. Home for the clinically insane in Britain.
LOL

Who among you can defend this poor excuse for a game?

Quote:
Retroman, you do realise that you need a Bloodwych save position to play the data disk?

If you're playing the game on a real Amiga the disk versions are fine, but for emulators use the hard drive versions, they work a treat!

Here is the Amiga download page from the site linked above. It should have everything you need:

Amiga Download Page
AdSense AdSense