English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 03 October 2008, 22:21   #1
amigamoonstone

Amiga OS 4

Can anyone tell me.
What is all the noise about amiga os??
Can you run this new Amiga OS from an emulator on a pc?
If so does it have the abilite to go online and brouse the internet?

Just thought it would be great because it seems most virus,spam bots and alike are all targeted at Mac and windows based systems.

wouldnt it be nice to surf the net from an amiga 4000 emulator and if you some how do get a virus it dies when you shut the program down.

god it may revive the whole amiga brand!
especially after seeing windows vista in action.

AdSense AdSense  
Old 03 October 2008, 23:00   #2
fryguy

No you cannot run it in an emulator as it requires a PPC CPU, and no amiga emulators emulates ppc. You need either a PPC-board for A1200 or A4000, or an AmigaOne (not available now) or a SAM440 to run AmigaOS4.
Old 03 October 2008, 23:03   #3
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigamoonstone View Post
Can anyone tell me.
What is all the noise about amiga os??
Can you run this new Amiga OS from an emulator on a pc?
If so does it have the abilite to go online and brouse the internet?

Just thought it would be great because it seems most virus,spam bots and alike are all targeted at Mac and windows based systems.

wouldnt it be nice to surf the net from an amiga 4000 emulator and if you some how do get a virus it dies when you shut the program down.

god it may revive the whole amiga brand!
especially after seeing windows vista in action.
Hi amigamoonstone & welcome to the EAB - I hope you enjoy it here & stick around.

Now, your questions - I'm guessing you knowledge of the Amiga is not extensive so for now I'll not get into the 'baggage' that goes with the platform - direct answers, but it may well help for you to have a nose round the forum & if you haven't already - have a read of the wiki & other on-line Amiga resources (Google).

AmigaOS - Very broadly you can split it into two types:
-'Classic' AmigaOS for 'old' Amigas - V.v. good & to an extent it will do lots of 'modern type' stuff either on real Commodore hardware or under emulation...
...C= folded in 1994 - despite it's ongoing usefulness we're talking retro-hobby territory here.
-'Modern' AmigaOS which could include OS4, MorphOS, AROS... Again all of these are very good & with (a lot) of work can make a nice day-to-day system based either on hard to find hardware or in the case of AROS boggo x86 stuff - AROS isn't 'finished'...
...we really aren't talking well-supported here if you are looking for a 'jobbing OS'.

I agree with you - it would be great if for example AmigaOS 4 became popular & well-supported enough to become a real alternate to 'doze or the Mac - it ain't gonna happen!

Sad? Oh, yes! I also agree with you that Vista is truly horrible - my main 'jobbing OS' is XP & having tried Vista I'm never going to 'upgrade'...
...If I were you I'd stick with XP for as long as that's supported & give MacOS some serious consideration - the virtualisation software on MacOS is now at a stage where most 'doze apps work pretty seamlessly...
...Linux? Another option, though for me I've never gotton on with it.

Anyway:
AmigaOS - cool, great fun, great community... But please don't look at it as a replacement for your main OS.

Last edited by Charlie; 04 October 2008 at 01:52.
Old 07 October 2008, 15:10   #4
gmiaow
A Cat with a Fez

From what I can tell it's a cool OS that I'll never get to see because it doesn't run on any commonly available hardware. OP, you can get the "closed box" protection from viruses etc. by using a virtual machine; if you have a modern PC then have a look for the free vmware player (http://www.vmware.com/products/player/) and then get an image for ubuntu for example or install another OS of your choice on the virtual machine. You can browse the web safely on your virtual machine, and if it ever gets messed up you can delete it and start again.

As an aside I wonder if OS4 has a better chance against viruses as there are a lot of amiga viruses out there, but I suppose they're all 68k only)
Old 07 October 2008, 17:21   #5
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
The Recent uptake of the mini laptop/netbook would have been perfect for AmigaOS, but its yet another market that ainc have let slip through there fingers. Soon they wont even have the name to fall back on.
Old 08 October 2008, 15:28   #6
Harrison
classicamiga.com

That is very true. If they had ported AmigaOS to Intel hardware it would have been perfect for the lower powered mini laptop market such as the EeePC. It is such a shame, but I can't see OS4 lasting much longer if it continues to stick to the PPC platform.
Old 08 October 2008, 15:45   #7
tonyyeb
Has the Amiga bug again

Send a message via MSN to tonyyeb
Its a shame someone who knows what they are doing (i.e. not me!) could not look at porting the PearPC PPC code into UAE to get a PPC emulation option. I know Toni is dead against it. Anyone else fancy the challenge?
Old 08 October 2008, 16:03   #8
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Yeah, all you need is someone who either knows or is willing and able to learn two complex code bases (not to mention knowledge of the respective platforms might also be an advantage.), has the skills to combine them, has time to do it, and is willing to do it for free. Might happen tomorrow, it might.
Old 08 October 2008, 16:11   #9
tonyyeb
Has the Amiga bug again

Send a message via MSN to tonyyeb
I didn't say it would be easy!
Old 09 October 2008, 02:03   #10
Harrison
classicamiga.com

Just look at the emulation scene. Everyone works on their emulators for free. It could happen... It just needs some people dedicated enough to make it so.
Old 09 October 2008, 02:47   #11
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

You are EVER so slightly optimistic.

I would vouch it will NEVER happen. NEVER! BWAHAHAHHAHAH
Old 09 October 2008, 02:54   #12
Harrison
classicamiga.com

But I remember years ago some people saying we would never be able to emulate the Amiga properly! Now look!

I do agree though. A PPC Amiga emulator isn't something most people would consider spending/wasting time on. The interest would be quite small compared to 68K Amiga emulation.

However if someone could modify OS4 to work with PearPC that would be another thing!
Old 09 October 2008, 03:00   #13
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

No, the difference was there is clearly a LOT of people interested in classic amiga (hence your website) being emulated. There are VERY, VERY, VERY (insert loads more) few people interested in the tripe that was produced for the PPC.

Last edited by killergorilla; 09 October 2008 at 12:06.
Old 09 October 2008, 07:11   #14
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
No, the difference was there is clearly a LOT of people interested in classic amiga (hence your website) being emulated. There are VERY, VERY, VERY (insert loads more) people interested in the tripe that was produced for the PPC.
I think yu meant to type "few" in there.
To be fair, you must remember that PPC emulation (PearPC) was thought to be impossible because of the huge number of registers in PPC archiecture or whatnot.
Old 09 October 2008, 07:24   #15
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
well, AFAIK blizzard/cyberstorm boards are not just PPC machines, there's some magic going on in there with context switching and stuff which must be mimicked %100 to have a meaning, which could be more challenging than just merging PearPPC into UAE.
Old 09 October 2008, 12:06   #16
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Fop View Post
I think yu meant to type "few" in there.
yes, yes I did
Old 09 October 2008, 22:11   #17
Harrison
classicamiga.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
well, AFAIK blizzard/cyberstorm boards are not just PPC machines, there's some magic going on in there with context switching and stuff which must be mimicked %100 to have a meaning, which could be more challenging than just merging PearPPC into UAE.
I was thinking more along the lines of the AmigaOne and similar PPC only systems that can run OS4 or MorphOS. Not a classic Amiga with PPC board.
Old 13 October 2008, 02:22   #18
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Why PearPC? SheepShaver's emulation of the PPC seems alot faster... though it doesn't run OSX, but it DOES run Mac OS which requires a PPC... I myself are now having a MacOS8.5 emulation going

I don't think AmigaOS4 requires more than SheepShaver can deliver, does it?
AdSense AdSense