English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 03 October 2008, 17:29   #41
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
I'm afraid GEMUS is a bit too limited to make the 7-Zip 'on the fly' use possible
One problem is that if you use a variable in the 'Run_Program' function and it contains spaces GEMUS automatically adds quotes around them, which makes it nearly impossible to tell 7-Zip to extract the file. The only workaround is to use paths and filenames without spaces (and 'Program Files' is a good example for a path with a space... )
Also deleting the extracted file after the emulation is not possible, which means that all the extracted files will stay on the harddisk or there have to be a cleanup at the start which removes old entries.
Maybe it's better to include the files seperatly then to mess with GEMUS too much (it will also make the requirements more complicated).
If you want to have a look for yourself Retroplay I can give you my (very) experimental script with some explanations.
TCD is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 03 October 2008, 17:31   #42
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: #DrainTwitterSpam
Age: 45
Posts: 2,284
More I hear about this project, more I like it.
Anubis is offline  
Old 03 October 2008, 18:31   #43
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Retroplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Denmark
Posts: 2,928
I fiddled around last night with the ips patching script by Belgarath and it works like a charm in Snes9x 1.43 and 1.51, for some reason ZSNES didn't like it.
However one too many of the patches needs headers in the roms making it no less than a mess (hey that rhymed ).
So for now I'll stick to pre patched roms, sorry for the inconvenience folks.

@TheCyberDruid.
Thanks anyway matey for looking into the 7z thingie.
Retroplay is offline  
Old 03 October 2008, 18:38   #44
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
@TheCyberDruid.
Thanks anyway matey for looking into the 7z thingie.
No problem. I'm really looking forward to the beta. Messed my ratio at UG up a bit by grabbing the no-intro set...
TCD is offline  
Old 03 October 2008, 19:05   #45
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Retroplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Denmark
Posts: 2,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Messed my ratio at UG up a bit by grabbing the no-intro set...

Btw I just got permission from the administrator at No-Intro screenshot forums to use their screenshot packages.
Retroplay is offline  
Old 03 October 2008, 19:18   #46
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Belgarath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Manchester
Posts: 2,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay
I fiddled around last night with the ips patching script by Belgarath and it works like a charm in Snes9x 1.43 and 1.51, for some reason ZSNES didn't like it.
However one too many of the patches needs headers in the roms making it no less than a mess (hey that rhymed ).
So for now I'll stick to pre patched roms, sorry for the inconvenience folks.
Strange as I only tested it with ZSNES and it was fine.
Belgarath is offline  
Old 03 October 2008, 19:21   #47
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
Btw I just got permission from the administrator at No-Intro screenshot forums to use their screenshot packages.
Exchange 'looking forward to' with 'can't wait for' in my last post Great news
TCD is offline  
Old 03 October 2008, 19:23   #48
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Belgarath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Manchester
Posts: 2,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid
I'm afraid GEMUS is a bit too limited to make the 7-Zip 'on the fly' use possible
One problem is that if you use a variable in the 'Run_Program' function and it contains spaces GEMUS automatically adds quotes around them, which makes it nearly impossible to tell 7-Zip to extract the file. The only workaround is to use paths and filenames without spaces (and 'Program Files' is a good example for a path with a space... )
Also deleting the extracted file after the emulation is not possible, which means that all the extracted files will stay on the harddisk or there have to be a cleanup at the start which removes old entries.
Not that it matters now, but I was messing with 7zip when first working on WHDLoad support and I'm sure I had it unzipping the games without any problems.

Also if you unzip to %gbgamepath%\rezip\
that directory always get deleted when gamebase is exited (or started).
Belgarath is offline  
Old 03 October 2008, 19:35   #49
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath View Post
Not that it matters now, but I was messing with 7zip when first working on WHDLoad support and I'm sure I had it unzipping the games without any problems.
Would be interesting to see how you did it. Like I said the problem for me were the quotes that were added when passing varables to the 'clip' parameter of 'Run_Program'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath View Post
Also if you unzip to %gbgamepath%\rezip\
that directory always get deleted when gamebase is exited (or started).
That's interesting, but that would mean that also the battery files for the game would be deleted. Anyway I think that using the pre-patched roms is the cleaner solution, even if it uses more harddisk space
TCD is offline  
Old 03 October 2008, 19:51   #50
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Belgarath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Manchester
Posts: 2,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Would be interesting to see how you did it. Like I said the problem for me were the quotes that were added when passing varables to the 'clip' parameter of 'Run_Program'.



That's interesting, but that would mean that also the battery files for the game would be deleted. Anyway I think that using the pre-patched roms is the cleaner solution, even if it uses more harddisk space
I've no idea what I did now, and have no desire to try and figure it out again

As for the battery files, well I know ZSNES defaults to putting them with the roms, but you can define a seperate sram path, i'm sure the same is true with snes9x as well.

edit: but yeh I agree it's better to go with pre-patched roms for a number of reasons
Belgarath is offline  
Old 03 October 2008, 20:02   #51
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Retroplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Denmark
Posts: 2,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath View Post
edit: but yeh I agree it's better to go with pre-patched roms for a number of reasons
Glad you the GEMUS master agrees on this.
What I'll do is patch the roms and then remove the headers.
I just tried this method with the swedish patch for the european Alien 3 rom and everything is fine.
It's settled then, pre patched it is.

Oh and btw if I haven't mentioned it yet, I won't be including dead or incomplete translations.
Only the best stuff gets in.
Retroplay is offline  
Old 03 October 2008, 20:09   #52
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
Good to hear it's settled now and the 'real' work can go on Erm, I know you'll hate me for it Retroplay, but how long do you think it will take for the beta to be ready? *ducks under his desk for the stupid question*
TCD is offline  
Old 03 October 2008, 20:37   #53
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Retroplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Denmark
Posts: 2,928
I'll see if I can knock up some clrmame dats by tomorrow.
But please be aware it's still an early beta, lots of stuff still needs to be done in its current state.
Oh and by that time, feel free to post any corrections (alot) you might find then.
Retroplay is offline  
Old 03 October 2008, 20:52   #54
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
I'll see if I can knock up some clrmame dats by tomorrow.
But please be aware it's still an early beta, lots of stuff still needs to be done in its current state.
Oh and by that time, feel free to post any corrections (alot) you might find then.
Yay I will test it then and post any bug I may find I will use SNES9x for my tests, so maybe Anubis can use ZSNES for testing
TCD is offline  
Old 03 October 2008, 21:01   #55
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 41
Posts: 9,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
Only the best stuff gets in.
Don't forget to put in the following games

... Star Fox 2 (with "English Translation" + "Removal of the non-functional bits / debug functions") http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=starfox2
... Nightmare Busters
DamienD is offline  
Old 03 October 2008, 21:29   #56
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Retroplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Denmark
Posts: 2,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Don't forget to put in the following games

... Star Fox 2 (with "English Translation" + "Removal of the non-functional bits / debug functions") http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=starfox2
... Nightmare Busters
Hehe already included.
Retroplay is offline  
Old 04 October 2008, 18:57   #57
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Retroplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Denmark
Posts: 2,928
OK folks, here's the alpha 1 release.
Clicky

I included the game Nightmare Busters for the guys 'n gals which don't have it yet as it's not included in the No-Intro set yet.
Sorry no installer yet, files must be copied manually (no big deal).

Last edited by Retroplay; 04 October 2008 at 19:02.
Retroplay is offline  
Old 04 October 2008, 19:00   #58
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
OK folks, here's the alpha 1 release.
Clicky
Great Will take a while to download the lot, but once it is down I'll start messing around with it at once
Thank you very much Retroplay

Just one question : What are the 'extras'?
TCD is offline  
Old 04 October 2008, 19:17   #59
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Retroplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Denmark
Posts: 2,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Just one question : What are the 'extras'?
Manuals, maps and fan translated games and stuff like that.
Btw for the music you need Winamp and the SNESamp plugin.
Retroplay is offline  
Old 04 October 2008, 19:28   #60
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
~550 MB extras is really nice
Thanks for the link to the SNESamp plugin
Another question do I need to have the games unzipped?
TCD is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted (SNES) Super Nintendo Joypad controllers Vars191 MarketPlace 0 02 October 2009 13:02
EAB Multi Platform League - Round 11 - Super Turrican (SNES) TCD EAB's competition 54 06 September 2009 09:29
EAB Multi Platform League - Round 3 - Super Aleste (SNES) TCD EAB's competition 89 30 March 2009 18:52
[Found: Thunder Blade, Trailblazer, Super Probotector] 3 Amiga games+1 SNES Photon Looking for a game name ? 31 30 December 2007 19:30
100 SNES (Super Nintendo) games in 10 minutes! laffer Retrogaming General Discussion 20 30 June 2007 01:06

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.22994 seconds with 11 queries