English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 30 September 2008, 19:50   #1
Grimbog

Retro Music...

Heh... hope you guys won't mind me posting this here, just thought a few of the nostalgic among you will identify with a track I've been working on.

It's a remix of a Breakbot track (his style is pretty much house), which I merged with another track from ZX Orchestra. Whilst this sounded ok, I decided to finish this one off properly. So what was going to be a Breakbot Vs ZX Orchestra has turned in to a weird mix of sounds from the ZX Spectrum, Amiga A500, and Gameboy.

Whilst there's loads of elements in there, the most notable acknowlegement I want to make is to Tim Follin, as I used 2 samples from LED Storm (snare drum, and synth bass) to add that Amiga charm. The snare drum was also placed through an Emulator SP1200 to get more "crunch".

So why do this? Well, retro computer sounds are cool - I love mixing loads of different styles together to create something new.

http://www.obscuresounds.com/audio/b..._orchestra.mp3

Enjoy!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 30 September 2008, 20:02   #2
TCD

Yeah, that's really a great tune Grimbog
The beats are awesome and the sound is well distorted Have you made more songs that you uploaded somewhere?
Old 30 September 2008, 21:32   #3
Grimbog

Thanks CyberDruid,

Glad you like it! - I was a bit worried it might come across as slightly too aggressive. Been creating music for about 7 years, but in all that time I've always been working with other artists as a producer or engineer.

This track has got me thinking about doing more of my own stuff in this style - depends on what people think of it really, as I've always loved dirty Amiga samples! When you mix all the retro computers together with live instruments you get a really grimey sound...

You can also get some really nice pads going. The relaxing pad sound in the middle is actually a C64 sawtooth going through the S950 sampler... really nice 12-bit polyphonic sound.
Old 30 September 2008, 21:51   #4
TCD

I like the 'aggresive' sound. It gives the mellow melodies a great contrast.
The use of Amiga samples with effects combined with high quality synths and samples is cool. I make music for over 10 years now (well if you can call that music ) and always loved the sound of the Amiga
Would be really nice to hear some more tunes from you in the future
Old 01 October 2008, 14:42   #5
off1k

Yep! quite enjoyed that too, liked it from the 47sec mark and it was kickin around the 1min and 2min marks

Only downsides for me, it needed to be about 1 minute extra in length (didnt get enough of it) and im not a fan of long fadeouts.

Overall, it was a very good tune and would like to hear more
Old 02 October 2008, 00:21   #6
Grimbog

Thanks off1k!

Hopefully if something comes of all this then I'll be able to extend it. I've already got an idea for lengthening it a bit further - if I can glide that guitar up and up to it's highest octave then we're sorted.

Remember the classic guitar sounds from the Amiga?

Def agree, the ending is in bad taste atm!
AdSense AdSense