English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 24 January 2012, 02:08   #381
gunni

Send a message via ICQ to gunni
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Now that is crazy.
I would never give my money away and not receive anything for years.

Lets face it, its been years and people still dont have theirs.
...and I would have been one of those people if I didn't do it. The wifi wasn't a biggie for me and they threw in a dongle to compensate. I got it within a couple of weeks of the payment and I'm happy with the device. I'd have probably spent the extra money on some gadget to tinker with in the meantime so although crazy I can justify it to myself.

@pubzombie hang in there. you'll be getting one of the nice German boards with the extra RAM.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 24 January 2012, 02:30   #382
Mr B

Extra RAM that cant be used for nothing by a developer unless he wants to alienate those who already have a 256MB unit. The only benefit is that the larger amount of RAM will make it a better multitask device as more small footprint softwares can share the space...

They didn't even manage to get all the preorders out the door before the darn thing was so outdated and obsolete that the hardware wasn't available to procure with the intent of manufacturing.
Talk about insane.

Now if they could get them made, delivered, and get back to more important things. Making a tabletop version, with scratchresistant glass, and a on-screen keyboard, with updated specs through and through. Make is a VITA rival, with free software capabilities. Or i'll just get a VITA, if / when they break in to those.
B!
Old 24 January 2012, 10:02   #383
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL Send a message via Skype™ to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunni View Post
...and I would have been one of those people if I didn't do it. The wifi wasn't a biggie for me and they threw in a dongle to compensate. I got it within a couple of weeks of the payment and I'm happy with the device. I'd have probably spent the extra money on some gadget to tinker with in the meantime so although crazy I can justify it to myself.

@pubzombie hang in there. you'll be getting one of the nice German boards with the extra RAM.
But you got it quick, cause it was a faulty unit.
Old 24 January 2012, 11:03   #384
pubzombie

@B they've already hacked psV I asked in the retro game thread below :-) me excited B me excited
Old 24 January 2012, 11:31   #385
Mr B

The VITA isn't hacked yet, s far as i know. The PSP emulation is good enough to let all the exploits that work on the PSP work on the emulated layer as well, but it's a sandbox, you cant "open up" the VITA that way. Your just getting a newer, more expensive hacked PSP at that rate. But they are hard at it, and who knows, they might get it right soon.
B!
Old 24 January 2012, 12:30   #386
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
They'll definitely be produced but unfortunately the price is unjustifiable for me now, too... 445.

Best of luck to them. To me, it seems they've got themselves between a rock and a hard place.
Where was that announced? Last I heard the new price hasnt been decided yet and the "premium" price was 383. I dont know about VAT and such though so do you mean with VAT it was 445?

I have two of them so perhaps it will be a good time to be an evil ebay whore.

This was the last I heard EvilD comment about pricing: LINK
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningSpoon
Now this brings another question which I know we get answer someday, but is the final cost of pandora decided yet? How about shipping costs?
Still working that out. It's a pretty complex calculation... so we'll see.

Link (from ithic.com) will probably ship all the Pandoras to US customers. He'll get a big package from me and will ship them from there.

This will save a lot of shipping costs for all US customers
Old 24 January 2012, 12:49   #387
Leffmann

Even though the device is a bit dated it still seems pretty nice, but I certainly wouldn't do business with the people who run this show. 3 years waiting after pre-ordering? That's like fraud.
Old 24 January 2012, 13:55   #388
chiark
Needs a life

I'm just going on what it says right now on http://openpandora.org . Yes, I do mean with VAT as, unfortunately, I have to pay it. I guess you'd have to pay import duty and local taxes when it hits Oz?

Click on 'preorder now'.
Quote:
The price for the Pandora is 375 EUR (for international customers) or 445 EUR (for EU-Customers, incl. 19% VAT).
Add 1.8% to pay via Paypal, or 4% if you're outside the EU.

Erm, *ouch*!
Old 24 January 2012, 14:14   #389
Akira

375/445 euro? Go on, make me laugh. I can buy a NETBOOK for that price, which runs emulators much much better.

The Caanoo was priced right and had quite more power for emulation than a PSP, yet the developers totally ignored it because they were mind-fapping to the Pandora. Damn shame.
Old 24 January 2012, 14:16   #390
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

It doesnt qualify for import fees in Oz. I was an early pre-orderer so I got mine at the original price 2 or so years later but managed to track down a used one to keep me happy before that arrived.

I agree they were a lot more desirable before the price hike and are a little long in the tooth spec wise now. Still an awesome little minature computer though and I use it quite a bit. If you can get your hands on one you will definetely love it, anyone who is even half a nerd would. The only owners who complain about them are either perfectionists or complete tards who cant figure them out, oh and people who unfortunately got faulty units

edit:@Akira, I just noticed your post after I posted. I can get a full computer for the price of your netbook which would run emulators even better than your netbook.
The point I am making by that is, it isnt a netbook at all. Its closer to the size of a phat Nintendo DS to give you some idea. I also have a caanoo and its not the same as that either.
Old 24 January 2012, 14:20   #391
Dunny

Like our friend above, I'm quite glad I got mine for 200 :-)

Problem with Netbooks is that they don't fit in your pocket and don't have gaming controls. As has been said numerous times already. Apples and Oranges and all that... The Pandora might benefit from a CPU upgrade and more RAM, but I don't see what that would achieve - we've already got full speed PSX/Amiga emulation along with every machine below that benchmark emulated. The only place that I personally would like more RAM is in xfce desktop.

Shame the Canoe isn't being produced anymore. I'm not sure devs were "mind-fapping", as the number of new stuff written and ported for the Pandora continues to increase rapidly.

D.
Old 24 January 2012, 15:14   #392
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Shame the Canoe isn't being produced anymore. I'm not sure devs were "mind-fapping", as the number of new stuff written and ported for the Pandora continues to increase rapidly.
That's exactly what I said, they went all for the Pandora, a hardware that is till hasn't seen a proper release, and left a readily available and cheap, good platform like the Caanoo behind.
Old 24 January 2012, 15:21   #393
chiark
Needs a life

For 200, I'm tempted. For 400, I'm not.

It is a completely different device from a netbook, which is why it interests me. I wish they'd got a fuller keyboard into it though...
Old 24 January 2012, 16:17   #394
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

The problem with the caanoo wasnt just the pandora sadly. (although the promise of a pandora was tempting to many people) The devs werent that interested once they realised hardware wise it was just an incompatible wiz with a different joystick and bigger screen. Some of the devs were even pissed they replaced the wiz so quickly and their software didnt work anymore on the new version.

Also instead of giving away caanoos to proven wiz and gp2x devs they gave them away to random people on facebook participating in silly competitions at launch. That pissed some people off also.

GPH made some real bonehead mistakes with that. Its a shame because its quite a nice unit and GPH had the whole hardware manufacturing thing down pat delivering a quality unit, that was innexpensive in a timely fashion. If the caanoo came out instead of the wiz I bet GPH would still be around making hardware. Possibly something with android on it by now.

The pandora is also lacking in software, dont get me wrong for the amount of units in actual peoples hands it is an incredible ratio but It seems the lure of making a couple of bucks per customer for an app on iDevices and Androids is very tempting to many homebrew devs now days given the sheer volume of potential customers.

If the Pandora gets a decent AGA amiga emulator with HDD support and a usable interface I will be in nerd heaven.
Old 24 January 2012, 16:27   #395
Akira

You speak the truth THB, Gamepark have been horrible and the replacement of the Wiz was too fast.
Old 24 January 2012, 17:10   #396
darkwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
If the Pandora gets a decent AGA amiga emulator with HDD support and a usable interface I will be in nerd heaven.
Ditto. If this happens I will take my Pandora with me everywhere and pretty much just use it as a handheld Amiga!

And I'm glad I got in early at the lower price. Even though my unit won't clock higher than 850MHz, and newer ones may go a bit higher, I would find the higher price harder to justify.
Old 24 January 2012, 19:17   #397
pubzombie

The whole reason I wanted a Pandora was for C64 and Amiga emulation with a physical keyboard. Virtual and touch screen keyboards just don't work for me at all.
Old 24 January 2012, 20:10   #398
Mr B

I on the other hand cant see a clamshell design where the lid is the touchscreen, and tilts when you try and work it. I'm very much with you on the fact that a clamshell, with a real keyboard is the better option for a "computer emulation" system, but to have the touchscreen move away from you more and more as the hinges get looser and looser... Not good.
B!
Old 24 January 2012, 21:33   #399
pubzombie

I kinda never expected it to be perfectly engineered and constructed. It is after all is said and done designed by committee, and constructed in kind of cottage industry type way. Too many cooks and all that! I did expect to have received it by now though!
It is perhaps a very interesting and 'different' story for a piece of modern technology. I kinda appreciate that in itself.
Old 25 January 2012, 01:38   #400
gunni

Send a message via ICQ to gunni
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
Something like this? [ Show youtube player ]

cant wait to get my hands on that one!
AdSense AdSense