English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 21 September 2008, 15:32   #41
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

whiteb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Age: 48
Posts: 1,539
Alrighty then, so this Sam440 hardware, its mainly used for Running OS4 ?

What about Backwards compatibility ?, Specifically running legacy software/games ? Or will it need some sort of WinUAE equivalent ?

It seems quite an expense for just the honor of running *JUST* OS4
whiteb is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 September 2008, 17:02   #42
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

Paul_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Amigaville
Age: 39
Posts: 3,162
hmmmm errrr what to do. Hardware prawn which can run os4.1 but I'm in two minds as my XP machine does exactly what I want...

It is cool though - I'll give it that. If I had the money I'd be very tempted.
Paul_s is offline  
Old 21 September 2008, 17:09   #43
kriz
Junior Member
kriz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: No(R)Way
Age: 35
Posts: 2,353
It is expensive... But every not mainstream hobby costs abit..
kriz is offline  
Old 21 September 2008, 23:28   #44
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna
gklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Age: 47
Posts: 711
The question isn't what you can do with OS 4.1. The question is what you can do with OS 4.1 that you can't do with another modern OS, even a free one, on hardware that is way more powerful and can be purchased for a fraction of the cost.

OS 4.1 is a flight of fancy. Running it for the sake of running it is fine but if someone actually believes that's it's commercially viable or that the Amiga is going to make a comeback then they need to get some brain tonic from the government health.
gklinger is offline  
Old 21 September 2008, 23:39   #45
tonyyeb
Has the Amiga bug again
tonyyeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hull, UK
Age: 37
Posts: 792
Send a message via MSN to tonyyeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklinger View Post
The question isn't what you can do with OS 4.1. The question is what you can do with OS 4.1 that you can't do with another modern OS, even a free one, on hardware that is way more powerful and can be purchased for a fraction of the cost.

OS 4.1 is a flight of fancy. Running it for the sake of running it is fine but if someone actually believes that's it's commercially viable or that the Amiga is going to make a comeback then they need to get some brain tonic from the government health.
Sums up my feelings pretty well. Its hard to stop using even my XP box that does everything very well. God I hate to say that!
tonyyeb is offline  
Old 07 March 2009, 19:58   #46
amigakit.com
Registered User

amigakit.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: www.amigakit.com
Posts: 1,709
SAM440EP 600Mhz is now available in stock:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=869

In response to customer suggestions, we have now added an option to configure this product with hard disk pre-installed with OS 4.1:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...=869#configure

Hard disk will be fully prepped/formatted and OS 4.1 installed. Customers will also receive OS 4.1 CD and license code.

Here is a picture of the new 600Mhz boards:
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...440-600mhz.jpg
amigakit.com is offline  
Old 07 March 2009, 21:56   #47
amiga
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Amiga_land
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com

SAM440EP 600Mhz is now available in stock:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=869

In response to customer suggestions, we have now added an option to configure this product with hard disk pre-installed with OS 4.1:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...=869#configure

Hard disk will be fully prepped/formatted and OS 4.1 installed. Customers will also receive OS 4.1 CD and license code.

Here is a picture of the new 600Mhz boards:
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...440-600mhz.jpg

OK, this is the bad news.
And now the good news (if any) ???
amiga is offline  
Old 07 March 2009, 22:52   #48
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667
AlfaRomeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lisbon / Portugal
Posts: 775
And for when the SAM440Flex ?
AlfaRomeo is offline  
Old 08 March 2009, 14:09   #49
Slayer
Amiga Member
Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Zealand
Age: 50
Posts: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
Here is a picture of the new 600Mhz boards:
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...440-600mhz.jpg
Looks great too me, really wish I could take one off your hands but I already have a SAM. I'll be interested in the next model for sure.

Slayer is offline  
Old 09 March 2009, 02:13   #50
Madcrow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 228
How does a 440 compare clock-for-clock with a G3 or G4? At 600 MHz, the 440 is finally starting to look like a viable replacement for the A1...
Madcrow is offline  
Old 27 February 2011, 12:54   #51
umpa
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
SAM440EP 600Mhz is now available in stock:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=869

In response to customer suggestions, we have now added an option to configure this product with hard disk pre-installed with OS 4.1:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...=869#configure

Hard disk will be fully prepped/formatted and OS 4.1 installed. Customers will also receive OS 4.1 CD and license code.

Here is a picture of the new 600Mhz boards:
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...440-600mhz.jpg
I have always been interested in these new modern amiga's - BUT you would have to silly rich or a tard to spend £800 on a motherboard and OS. You should release Amiga OS for G4-G5 macs, then and only then make hardware, at the price it is at the moment its already dead.
 
Old 27 February 2011, 13:12   #52
kriz
Junior Member
kriz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: No(R)Way
Age: 35
Posts: 2,353
You should check out MorphOs then, its availible for the G4 macs!
kriz is offline  
Old 27 February 2011, 19:01   #53
gibs
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: france
Posts: 932
wow the price
gibs is offline  
Old 27 February 2011, 23:34   #54
jman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Italy
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpa View Post
I have always been interested in these new modern amiga's - BUT you would have to silly rich or a tard to spend £800 on a motherboard and OS.
I did find interesting an article from this Italian blog I follow regularly.
It talks about the 460 (not far from the 440, performance-wise).
It is quite technically detailed, I think the guy knows what he says.
Basically he says the price tag is excessive for some piece of obsolete hardware.

http://goo.gl/3UDQZ
jman is offline  
Old 27 February 2011, 23:43   #55
AmigaDave
Since 1987
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Big Bear Lake/USA
Posts: 112
How did this 2+ year old thread get dragged back to the present day? Are there really people out there that are just now learning what a SAM440ep/flex is?
AmigaDave is offline  
Old 27 February 2011, 23:50   #56
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
umpa dragged it from oblivion. Guess it's time to put it to sleep again.
TCD is offline  
Old 28 February 2011, 02:53   #57
klx300r
Registered User
klx300r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 47
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaDave View Post
How did this 2+ year old thread get dragged back to the present day? Are there really people out there that are just now learning what a SAM440ep/flex is?
well now it's the 460ex and X1000 so we have alot more hardware choices for OS4.x...also the used markets for Sams has increased and a nic eused Sam can be found for a great price
klx300r is offline  
Old 28 February 2011, 18:38   #58
AmigaDave
Since 1987
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Big Bear Lake/USA
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
well now it's the 460ex and X1000 so we have alot more hardware choices for OS4.x...also the used markets for Sams has increased and a nic eused Sam can be found for a great price
except that umpa did not mention either the SAM460, or the X1000!
AmigaDave is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are these A1200 settings good enough for OS4? clitosa New to Emulation or Amiga scene 59 20 November 2012 03:22
Good news! I lost my job! ImmortalA1000 Amiga scene 67 10 August 2012 00:24
Important News....Good i Hope !!!! synchro Amiga scene 1 19 June 2004 23:53
Some good news, everyone! MethodGit Amiga scene 20 02 October 2001 15:25

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.25154 seconds with 11 queries