English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 September 2008, 11:54   #21
heavy

Ronald Pieket Weeserik (for SWIV, RodLand), Michel Janicki (Toki, Liquid Kids, Beach Volley), Pierre Adane (Snow Bros, Pang), Fernando Velez (Jim Power. Demomaker ? who ?), Eric Chahi (Another World !)...already 4 frenchies ^^
SOTB developpers (Howarth and Edmonson), Turrican (Menfred Trenz and others), Andrew Braybrook

and some demomakers (perhaps also game developpers? who ?) : Corsair, Hornet, Spook/Digital, TSL makers of Pinball Dreams (Goofy, SinCos with artists Chevron and Blaizer), Dr Skull ...
AdSense AdSense  
Old 20 September 2008, 13:34   #22
lours

Send a message via ICQ to lours Send a message via MSN to lours Send a message via Skype™ to lours
Surely not actual maintainers of Texteditor.mcc, Beststring.mcc or Yam !
Old 20 September 2008, 14:00   #23
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
In the arcades, they seemed to have incredibly well written games, they rarely crashed ...
However, was that due to good programmers, or really good hardware?
95%+ of the arcade games were from Japanese manufacturers with a long tradition of 0% fault tolerance. You don't have to look further then what came later on with nes, snes, megadrive or similar, they did not crash. The difference is simply professionalism and locked down systems (licensing for consoles)

Europe (with atari and amiga) had a thriving culture of bedroom programmers and could develop really original ideas less limited with ratings and corporate BS. Cracking and copying didn't really help stability either.

Japan had professionalism, teams and living tradition of animation and manga, essential for a polished product. If you look at the credits for arcade games from around the same time they read like a modern development team with several dedicated programmers and artists. Could they have developed games that would have pushed the amiga? Looking at the x68000 I'd say without a doubt...

Last edited by spiff; 20 September 2008 at 14:13.
Old 20 September 2008, 15:25   #24
Yoto
1 Potato to Spam´em all!

Nice programmer, imho, would be Andreas Tadic:
http://www.mobygames.com/developer/s...erShotId,6213/

Games Credited
ZenGems (2007), FreshGames, LLC
Worms Blast (2002), Akella
Alien Breed: Tower Assault (1994), Team17 Software Limited
Alien Breed II: The Horror Continues (1993), Team17 Software Limited
Body Blows (1993), Team17 Software Limited
Superfrog (1993), Team17 Software Limited
Alien Breed (Special Edition 92) (1992), Team17 Software Limited
Project-X (1992), Team17 Software Limited
Alien Breed (1991), Team17 Software Limited
Full Contact (1991), Team17 Software Limited
Miami Chase (1990), Codemasters
Old 20 September 2008, 17:59   #25
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Send a message via MSN to MazinKaesar Send a message via Yahoo to MazinKaesar
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
Japan had professionalism, teams and living tradition of animation and manga, essential for a polished product. If you look at the credits for arcade games from around the same time they read like a modern development team with several dedicated programmers and artists. Could they have developed games that would have pushed the amiga? Looking at the x68000 I'd say without a doubt...

Well, the best RPG ever are made in the USA or in Europe (Gothic rulez!!!). Sometimes Japanese people have great ideas but the final product lacks of good taste.Take Final Fantasy series: good movies, stunning music, but stupid and childish stories, and the characters are just kids dressed as fools.
I like many Japanese products, like anime, manga, Jhorror movies and videogames, but as more I know more about Japanese culture, more I understand their limits in design and story-telling.
Old 20 September 2008, 23:02   #26
NOB
Zone Friend

Another genial french demo coder was Thomas Landspurg.
Old 21 September 2008, 00:46   #27
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
Shigeru Miyamoto
AFAIK not a coder.
Old 21 September 2008, 21:25   #28
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
but as more I know more about Japanese culture, more I understand their limits in design and story-telling.
Limits? Their lack of limits you mean. The Japanese do not shy away from either telling a huge and overwhelming plot, or little plots with an incredible amount of detail. They pay more attention to characters and the viewer's ability to piece things together than blatantly explaining every tiny little detail behind a story as if you are an idiot. I like that you have to use your own imagination to make a story whatever you want it to be. Not only the story is clever this way, but it is respectful towards the viewer.
Old 21 September 2008, 21:49   #29
TCD

I agree with gimbal. Yet they use more archetypes (not stereotypes) in their stories. Maybe that is why it sometimes feels that some stories are a bit alike.
What I miss in jRPGs is the freedom that you can be what you want to. On the other hand the story is more intense this way. I guess it's a matter of taste which way you prefer
Old 21 September 2008, 23:20   #30
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Send a message via MSN to MazinKaesar Send a message via Yahoo to MazinKaesar
Really, the only JPRG I ever played was Sweet Home (one the firsts survival horror), even because seeing my friends playing them I felt them as "guided adventures" than real RPG, but I can list many Japanese works starting with good ideas but at end they drift to non-sense.

Anime: Sousei no Aquarion, Dragonaut - The Resonance, Elven Lied, and the world famous Neon Genesis Evangelion (I hope the new remakes will bring a new, consistent ending without too much free abnormal psychology).

Movies: Suicide Circle (strong message, but boring movie), Loft, Ring 2, Ghost System.

I can't say if the "limits" I spoke about are really in the lack of abilities of the new designer/writers or in the commercial needs of the companies they work for. I want to believe in the second option

Last edited by MazinKaesar; 21 September 2008 at 23:32.
Old 24 September 2008, 01:59   #31
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli Send a message via Skype™ to NewDeli
That reminds me Phantasmagoria for the PC, what a great discovery that was !
Had fun & cheap thrills playing this not so silly 'blonde' who just arrived in a huge haunted mansion with her husband being a Photographer under the influence of the spirit of the previous owner, himself a twisted Magician.

Roberta Williams should definitely be mentioned as a very talented game designer/coder of this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kings_quest_01.png
Views:	147
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	18080  

Last edited by NewDeli; 24 September 2008 at 23:41.
Old 24 September 2008, 14:08   #32
wilshy

Send a message via AIM to wilshy Send a message via MSN to wilshy
Games programming and demo programming were 2 very different things. Excellent, technically amazing demo coders often didn't make good games programmers. There were exceptions, don't get me wrong.

For me, games wise it's the classic names Geoff Crammond, Archer McLean, Andrew Braybrook etc. Also not forgetting to mention David Braben, Dino Dini, Sensible Software etc.

Demos was about technical ability and not gelling it into game design. But some awesome coders like Chaos / Sanity, the guy from Complex (did Real, Origin), Gods coders, Team Hoi, plus plenty of A500 demo coders etc. My mind is blank for some reason!!

How could I nearly forget Teijo Kinnunen for Octamed. Responsible for eating up more of my time than any other music package, even Ableton & Reason in the present day!

Last edited by wilshy; 24 September 2008 at 14:33.
Old 24 September 2008, 14:30   #33
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilshy View Post
the guy from Complex (did Real, Origin)
That would be Gengis who indeed was quite a talented demo coder.
Old 24 September 2008, 14:34   #34
wilshy

Send a message via AIM to wilshy Send a message via MSN to wilshy
That would be him Real is one of my fave demos to this day.

Fears was a pretty decent take on Doom/Quake games at the time by Gengis, again with the mighty Clawz doing the audio for it.
Old 24 September 2008, 14:59   #35
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Hannibal/Anarchy did ok with Banshee
Kreator/Anarchy did ok with Brian the Lion

Dan/Anarchys output was ok, Chuck Rock 2 was quite acceptable.
Old 24 September 2008, 19:49   #36
WayneK

Del/SAE did ok with <insert every codemasters game for 5 years here>
Huge numbers of amiga games were coded by demo sceners, although some awful games were made by excellent demo coders (and vice-versa, some good games by coders who never produced anything more than rubbish demos).
Old 25 September 2008, 14:10   #37
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklinger View Post
If memory serves, there was an article in Amiga World once that described Jez San as the best 68K machine language programmer in the world. I took that with a grain of salt. Clearly a sharp cookie but "best" is an awfully vague moniker.
He was clearly very good, but in terms of getting decent games to the market, Afterburner?

And I accept that Birds of Prey may be a great game (I don't know) but that must have been one of the biggest project over-runs ever given the era, and have you ever tried running it on a 68000 cpu, which was what pretty well everybody had at the time?
Old 25 September 2008, 15:16   #38
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Jez San's employees could perhaps be described as "the best 68K machine language programmers"... dunno about Jez himself.

I think the only game he personally coded on was StarGlider 1
Old 25 September 2008, 15:53   #39
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
Ian Bell and David Braben. other than them, i wouldn't know: it's easier to spot bad programmed games than the opposite
Elite still one of my favourites on the Acorn BBC

And the guys that coded the Pinball Dreams / Fantasies / Illusions series. Still got to get my regular fix of Miggy Pinball.

TC
Old 25 September 2008, 16:19   #40
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorfiot View Post
And the guys that coded the Pinball Dreams / Fantasies / Illusions series. Still got to get my regular fix of Miggy Pinball.

TC
Oh yes The coders are Andreas Axelsson and Ulf Mandorff. Like someone else said the games are better than the real deal
AdSense AdSense