English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 26 August 2008, 15:26   #1
crispywotsits

Re-installing Amiga OS 4

Hi guys,

I recently got hold of a 20GB hard drive and yesterday went about transferring my Amiga stuff over to this new disk - once it was all copied, I tried to use the system.

OS 3.9 worked as it always did, but Amiga OS 4 wouldn't boot at all. Strange I thought as it had worked on the old disc, but I didn't think much of it and decided it might be easier just to re-install.

So I put in the trusty Amiga OS 4 Boot floppy and moved the CD drive over the Primary Channel alongside the harddrive and tried to boot it into the installation... The system booted off the floppy then attempted to read the CD - did a restart - probably to install some resident libraries etc, then attempted to boot off the floppy and CD again... read the CD for a fair bit then stopped spinning with a black screen. It really should have displayed the Amiga OS Installation window at this stage.

Any ideas why it has stopped like this?

Thanks
Chris
AdSense AdSense  
Old 31 August 2008, 19:30   #2
crispywotsits

Well guys, after some messing about, I am still no further forward! The only thing that I can say for certain is that the Installation will run if I attach my old disk to the system, but will not run with the new disk attached...

So whats different?! Apart from the old one being 6 GB and the new one being 20GB, I don't know - I do have a couple of partitions that are well over 2gb... could that be an issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Chris
Old 01 September 2008, 14:23   #3
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Send a message via Skype™ to mfilos
You haven't gave us any info on your setup though... A1200? plain or with 4way buffered/FastATA? A4000? plain or with Budha/FastATA?

- I use an 60GB 3.5 on my A4000 internal bus and works just fine with 3.9, 4.0 and MOS PUP
- I also use an 60GB 2.5 on my A1200 /w FastATA mkIII and works also fine with 3.9, 4.0 and MOS PUP.

The strange thing is that in my A1200 I putted the CDROM on the Secondary channel but the installation completed just fine (lol)
Could it be the jumpers on your new Hard Drive putted wrong? How do you have them installed on the HD and on your CDROM as well? (Master/Slave/CSel) and how have you putted the IDE ribbon on?

BUS ----- CDROM (as slave) ----- HD (as master)

or anything different?

Since your old HD runs just fine I can't come up with anything else wrong :S

Ah, one more thing... Since you stated that OS 3.9 runs just fine on the new HD, does the CDROM works also correctly (meaning you insert the Disc and appears just fine on WB screen)

Keep us informed.
Old 03 September 2008, 22:59   #4
crispywotsits

Hi Mfilos,

Sorry, I really should have included some more detailed information... it is an A1200 setup with a standard 4-way IDE adapter - I don't believe it is buffered or anything, just an IDE-Fix job from way back.

The standard configuration I use for 3.9 is the HD as the Primary Channel Master and the CD-ROM drive as the Secondary Channel Slave - this works 100% in 3.9 - however, I know that the Amiga OS 4 installation doesn't recognise the 4-way adapter correctly for the installation and I had to put the CD-ROM drive on to the Primary Channel as a Slave.

The real funny thing was, I removed the new drive and replaced it with the old, and tried booting into the Installation and it worked perfectly well!!

So I tried another couple of things - I had a feeling maybe the Installer couldn't find all the partitions correctly, seeing as I had created myself a 500mb 3.9 partition... so I juggled it about and resized it down to 250mb, and low and behold, that got the Installer working.

However though, after completing the installation on the new disk, I couldnt boot it - the disk spins up and loads for a while, but the same issue... a black screen.
Old 04 September 2008, 00:13   #5
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Have you tried formating the Hard drive partitions with SFS? I use for all partitions SFS 1.279 and never had issues. The only think I had problems with was with PIO4 mode on 2.5 HD that gave me only Gurus or didn't boot at all showing blank screens. With an 3.5 HD I had no problem. But with the new 2.5 I had to put it into PIO3 mode in order to work as intended. That was setup by the FastATA prefs. I haven't ever used an 4-way adapter so I don't know how it works with IDEfix. Kinda odd situation you got there my friend though :S
Old 04 September 2008, 15:25   #6
crispywotsits

Good question Mfilos - actually, I havent! I've been using FFS on the system as I was afraid to upgrade to SFS as I had been away from the Amiga Scene for quite a while and I wasn't sure that it was compatible.

Also, it has been an awful long time since I done anything like that on the Amiga - it is definitely worth a shot I suppose - could you point me to something that I can try here?

Cheers
Chris
Old 05 September 2008, 11:55   #7
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Well there is an excellent guide written by KillerGorilla of how to setup SFS either in your Classic Amiga or from WinUAE...
The steps are pretty easy and straightforward so you won't have a problem at all.

Check Here
Old 14 March 2009, 18:27   #8
crispywotsits

Well guys, I finally went about getting SFS installed on this machine after getting my 040 PPC board upgraded to an 060 - I installed SFS as per Killer Gorilla's excellent instructions and it works brilliantly for OS3.9..

Installing SFS allowed the Installer to start (after I resized OS3.9's partition from 250mb to 160), and it appeared to allow OS 4 to be installed on the second partition.

It wouldn't start however with SFS on there, it would give me the usual blue, then red, then purple screens and do nothing... I then reformatted to FFS and it installed ok again and started, but OS 4 threw a load of errors about the SFS partitions on the machine.... plus with the additional side effect of the OS 4 FFS partition being 100% full and saying that it needed to be validated!!

I really don't know why I can't get this running again on this drive... 3.9 runs like a dream on the 060 with SFS now but surely OS 4 should work too!

I also set down and tried MorphOS again - not much luck here either... same old black screen...... arrrrgggh!! I guess I'm not good at the whole amiga thing anymore!

Anyone have any good suggestions for OS 4 and SFS?

Thanks
Chris
Old 14 March 2009, 22:08   #9
portarinos

As i had quite the same problems with a similar setup i would suggest:Wipe off every single partition. Boot with the OS 3.9 Emergency Disk and run HDToolbox. (Re)install the HD (that means new RDB), save and then switch off. Boot with the OS4 floppy and have your cd-rom attached on the primary port as slave. Let it work for you and as soon as you reach the Installation procedure at the very moment it asks you to install disk and refresh its RDB JUST DON'T DO IT. Set up the new partition that will host your OS4 and don't forget to include the option regarding Long Filenames. Also don't forget to change the DOS 03 digits to 07. Confirm every change/option by always pressing ENTER. Continue the installation, finish it, switch off for 20 secs and off you go (hopefully). Good luck and please let us know what happened.
Old 15 March 2009, 00:45   #10
crispywotsits

The problem here is that I have a lot of stuff on each of my work partitions. It might be a big ask to copy it all over.

Thanks for your reply, but I'm going to wait a while yet - I've posted this on Amiga.org as well to see if there are any less drastic measures.

Your solution might just be the only one!

Thanks
Chris
Old 15 March 2009, 11:33   #11
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Maybe you have not installed the OS4 version of FFS into your hard disk's RDB - that is one reason it won't boot after rebooting (assuming you used that as your boot partition). Also, I thought that the boot partition for OS4 could not be SFS (could be wrong, maybe ppl have found ways to do it now), although every other partition can be.

I installed OS4 on existing hard drive which had SFS partitions with OS3.9 (like yourself), but made sure the boot partition for OS4 was the OS4 FFS version and was within the first 2GB of the drive. Make sure the FFS filesystem string ID is correct (should be in the OS4 installation instructions and is different to OS3.X FFS so you will end up having both in RDB I think...).

Also make sure your OS4 partition has the highest boot priority of all your hard disk partitions to make installation easier on the reboots etc.

The instructions are all there in the installation manual, although I thought the filesytem part was not written very well and can cause some confusion.

Oh, and if you're mucking around with HD partitions and new OS installations and such, you should really backup all your data first else you are asking for trouble.

Good luck.
Old 15 March 2009, 19:18   #12
crispywotsits

@Calgor:

Thanks for your reply. That was something that had completely slipped my mind - OS 4 has its own newer FFS... So, rather than going back and destroying everything, I thought I would try and install again, but using OS4's FFS, which I don't think I did the first time and hey presto... it WORKED!

OS 4 is back up and running on the Amiga... now to get the Prism drivers from Neil C.

There is one slight niggle though - because SFS is installed on every other partition, OS4 seems to be throwing errors about the SFS partitions, disk read errors and so on... I think these are false errors though as when I go back into 3.9, the errors disappear...

What would you think the cause of these errors might be?

Cheers
Chris
Old 15 March 2009, 19:57   #13
AmigaFriend

Are you using the OS4 version of SFS on your l:?

http://strohmayer.org/
Old 15 March 2009, 21:03   #14
crispywotsits

I thought you don't install SFS in l: on OS 4?
Old 15 March 2009, 21:14   #15
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispywotsits View Post
I thought you don't install SFS in l: on OS 4?

I don't want to mislead you Crispy in any way, as i've never used OS 4 because i've don't have PPC. But has the author releases a 68k version and a OS 4 version of Smartfilesystem file it could be for a compatability reason on operation. I just thought pointing that out to you.
Old 16 March 2009, 07:02   #16
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

I thought maybe the OS4 version can handle bigger files than the 68k version? And it is faster as not 68K emulated? I never installed the OS4 SFS version. Yes, it is true from what I read not to install OS4 SFS into RDB as it is already in some kicklayout file or something???? (I don't know much about OS4 as I pretty much installed it and that's it).

From memory the 68k SFS partitions show up fine in my OS4 install. Though this is from my memory which is mostly good but not guaranteed.

If it works in OS3.9, almost sounds like OS4 is either using the wrong version of SFS to read your 68k SFS partitions, or the 68K SFS is not compatible with OS4. It should not use the wrong version as the Filesystem ID string should be different for the different types of SFS. Therefore more likely it is not reading the 68K SFS partitions properly as there is a problem reading the 68K SFS from RDB for some reason. Which SFS do you have in the RDB and on your partitions, you should give version and Filesystem String ID. There is also a tool called sfscheck that comes in the full (68k at least) sfs archive you can use to give more info on partitions.

Also, you don't have any special software installed to give you >8GB in OS3.9 which may not be loaded in OS4 do you? I hate special software that makes things incompatible, such as the FastATA optional auto-splitting of partitions. If all your SFS partitions fully under 2GB are also stuffed in OS4, this should not be "the" problem.
AdSense AdSense