English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 25 August 2008, 18:54   #21
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
@ Alexh
love that Amiga UK prices/ bio rythm? theory...good read..sounds like a good paper for sociology 101 in uni
I do think that there is some accuracy in the Biorhythm, life-cycle, call it what you want, of classic computer purchases. I think that it is different to something like a Motorbike or a car because they were only around for a relatively short space of time and the users were all relatively the same age and so they have all passed through the same parts of their lives at approximately the same time.

It is not like today where video games are widely accepted and the age range of ownership is much larger. A generation where even someone's Nan might have a Wii on the floor of her living room!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 25 August 2008, 20:01   #22
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Most interesting theory, alexh. Makes complete scene to me...

...what of the future, I wonder?

ATM, I guess the vast majority of retro-users are on a nostalgia kick - what will happen to the 'retro-scene' when those from 'back in the day' have gone? Will we die off @ about the same rate as our computers or will there be subsequent generations..?

Despite my knocking-on a bit I wonder if I count as a 'second generation' enthusiast? My specific interest in the Amiga was kindled long after the platform ceased to be in any commercial sense.

The other thing that gives me some pause for thought is the state of play with developers...
...For me at least half the 'fun' is applying new developments to this ageing platform - wholly stupid though it is.
The old crowd (especially software) have been leaving at an alarming rate, where will the new developers come from? I wonder if the 8-bit scene may give us a clue...
Old 25 August 2008, 20:08   #23
mrbob2

Amiga users are like the christian faith, mostly populated by oldies and when we all die there will be nothing to take our place.

Im in my 30s and have fond memories of my amigas.

If i had never seen an amiga before or was too young to come from that era, i wouldnt be interested at all and would regard the amiga as to a speccy or c64. An old computer from the 80s with simple games a mobile phone could do.

Im glad im from the 80s computer scene as was lucky to have grown up with the evolution of gaming, from manic miner to crysis.

The next 10 years to be honest, i couldnt care less about. The games today and consoles are just "slightly beter looking".

There will never be a leap from 2d to 3d of such magnitude

shame really
Old 25 August 2008, 20:26   #24
reanimator
Pass me a bud'

just reading this post makes me feel old,
i was 10 when i got my first computer and that was a ZX81 in 1981
then Spectrum and c64
got my first Amiga in '88 aged 17 (with one of first pay packets )

only got my 1200 back out of spare room about 3 weeks ago (used WinUAE for months previous to that)
Old 25 August 2008, 20:39   #25
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
The first dip in Amiga prices (the lowest) was between 1997-9

if that had`t have happen i would not have my colection of 4-5 A1200`s in varius states of butchery, one day I`l get an accelerator as surly on day I`ll find 1 that i can afford

I personaly hope to be around for another 30 years or so and I really must introduce my daughter to a working amiga !!!!!
Old 25 August 2008, 21:14   #26
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
I was 8

Had an A600 rather than a 1200 though (Except if I'm being picky, I was 7 when we got that, and I was 5 when we got our old A500+...)
You guys, quit it......

I was still in my early teens when my father bought a 16k Rubber keyed Speccy, we were like W00000000, a color computer.., which when we turned it on and loaded a game off of tape, the screen was black and white . So he took it back and got a free upgrade to a 48k.

Still got it in the cupboard somewhere.

And before that, the membrane key ZX81, which would crash if you sneezed within 10 feet of it.

But my father didnt want to get an Amiga, and decided it was more important to make plans to move to Australia, so I bought an A500 from Dixons. (Which I still have). Along with my A1200, A4000, minimig, and now the free A1000 I got a few days ago.

The wife calls it "The Museum".
Old 25 August 2008, 21:19   #27
chiark
Needs a life

AlexH, you scare me with that biorhythms . You're not stalking me, are you?
Old 25 August 2008, 23:03   #28
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Biorhythms aren't real. Scientology is what you need!
Old 26 August 2008, 12:53   #29
Yoto
1 Potato to Spam´em all!

Amiga makes me fell like an "hardware/software archeologist".
Whenever i look at "modern" programs like photoshop or corel draw even multimedia as we know it, they assimilated most amiga concepts.
Sometimes i wonder how amiga would be if it was still rivalling with apple and pc...

PS: Where in a hell is Natami btw?
Old 26 August 2008, 13:03   #30
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotoxionomai View Post
Amiga makes me fell like an "hardware/software archeologist".
Whenever i look at "modern" programs like photoshop or corel draw even multimedia as we know it, they assimilated most amiga concepts.
Sometimes i wonder how amiga would be if it was still rivalling with apple and pc...

I agree.

PS: http://www.natami.net/
Old 26 August 2008, 13:07   #31
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotoxionomai View Post
Still where it has always been... DREAMLAND!
Old 26 August 2008, 13:11   #32
viddi

That´s what I wanted to say.
Old 26 August 2008, 13:22   #33
tonyyeb
Has the Amiga bug again

Send a message via MSN to tonyyeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Still where it has always been... DREAMLAND!
Seriously do you think it will be a no show? Just all talk no trousers.
Old 26 August 2008, 13:29   #34
rare_j
Zone Friend

My opinion is that the price of amiga hardware will continue steadily drop from now on and never recover. Why? A number of reasons.
Because WinUAE is now so compatible and easy to use on modern cheap PC's it makes the original hardware a bit pointless, except for us nerdy types.
Floppy Disk Drives are dying at an alarming rate and disk boxes full of pirated disks on crappy media are rotting to pieces. ADF's are easy to find on the internet and now more people than ever are connected. So using real hardware is getting harder while emulation is getting better and easier.
And increasingly people can plug their PC into the VGA port of the living room telly (LCD flat panel) for big screen amiga fun.

The only saving grace for real hardware is CompactFlash as hard drives. This makes an A600 or A1200 slightly attractive to the casual retro nostalgia seeker, but not that attractive IMO.

I'm thinking of selling up my A1200 rig myself - would never have dreamed of doing that 5 years ago! Only thing stopping me is that it wouldn't fetch enough to bother.
Old 26 August 2008, 14:06   #35
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyyeb View Post
Seriously do you think it will be a no show? Just all talk no trousers.
The real guy behind it, Thomas Hirsch, seems to be a sound guy. But he's saying nothing. I believe he said something like it was an interesting project that he does in his spare time for himself. If he can get it to work it will become an interesting (but expensive) toy for Amiga hardware homebrew enthusiasts.

It's Gunnar von Boehn and his minions that talk out of their proverbial arses!

The first draft version of the FPGA code is nearing completion, but I have no doubt that debugging will take months (if not years) to get good ECS/AGA compatibility.
Old 26 August 2008, 14:16   #36
tonyyeb
Has the Amiga bug again

So best not to believe the hype. Ill wait until I see some proof of a working model. Don't get your hopes up folks it seems!
Old 26 August 2008, 14:31   #37
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I have no doubt they can get a working model that can be demo'd. It's creating a working model that stands up under scrutiny and being able to produce a saleable product (i.e. making PCBs, sourcing CPU's etc.) that needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.
Old 26 August 2008, 17:39   #38
tonyyeb
Has the Amiga bug again

Does this post here start to give users hope for a real item soon?:

http://www.natami.net/knowledge.php?b=1&note=1603
AdSense AdSense