Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 August 2008, 14:23   #101
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Pointers?? Guides?? Which browser?
sorry.... thats software... i thought you were doing that *hehe*

the DLS/Knoppix I installed came with FireFox as standard.

to install DSL/Knoppix I used Slayers 3.1 with AID... and just installed EVERYTHING...

infact it was a 2 button click... job done... and i can then play with it all, emu's / linux and install xbox games to hdd to play
AdSense AdSense  
Old 04 August 2008, 14:26   #102
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
50 says they have filenames with characters / length which are fine with NTFS but are not supported under FATX (Xbox hard drive file system).
I was thinking the same thing. How big file name can be, and i'm sure this might have to do something with characters as some of the names were in Bosnian language.

Quote:
?? Rephrase
When you click pictures, it will list sources that you selected. Now I wondering if I can make it so it will open directly into one of the sources. (default source perhaps) There is option to set source as default, but I haven't noticed anything different next time I open it, after selecting default option.

Quote:
There is only one AFAIK and it isn't great. Linksboks (Not to be confused with Lynxbox the Atari Lynx emulator). It is an application which you launch under XBMC.

You do have the option of installing linux as an application launched from XBMC and using Firefox or KHTML... but I've never done that.
Too bad. It would be cool to read email and browse internet without need for computer. I will try later linux options.
Old 04 August 2008, 14:32   #103
Macca
Zone Friend

I'd recommend (once your XBox is either soft or hard mod'd) using:

http://www.aidtracker.com/

Auto Installer Deluxe (4.3) burn it to a DVD and you it automatically partitions and installs your dashboard with some essential apps (DVD2XBOX, etc.) after thats done theres an emulators section. Again another one click install and job done all you have to do then is get some roms on there.

M.
Old 04 August 2008, 14:51   #104
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

@Macca
I already gave this information.

AID (like most of the installers) is a bit old fashioned this days. Plus it has historically been too dangerous to be used with softmods. It's normally out of date and it tends to install too much crap you'll never use. Best to use XBINS and FTP

@ Zetro
Is there a Slayers 3.1?? I thought 2.7 was the last. The slayers website is gone now Not that it matters.. it would have been out of date.

But thanks for the great usable detailed Linux installation guide you posted there... I found it really easy to follow... "Just install everything" sheesh! Time to google me thinks.

Last edited by alexh; 04 August 2008 at 14:57.
Old 04 August 2008, 15:22   #105
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I have one more question. Are emulators sensitive where they are installed?? (eg. E:\Emulators )

Can I move them to F drive? (I've no problem to move only roms to F drive, but it would be nice to have everything at one spot )

I'm downloading AID, but not sure if I will be using it. I might just peek inside to see what's in there.

I'm thinking to get one more xbox for my daughter.
Old 04 August 2008, 15:26   #106
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Most emulators have a CFG or INI file which must be edited, other than that they can go anywhere.
Old 04 August 2008, 15:58   #107
Paradroid90
Open Source Guru

Guys,

Like a lot of us, i think we are all getting on the XBOX modding band wagon!!! Just bought one off E-Bay and well up for modding it!!!

Zetro,

Is the Hard Modding offer and HD prep open to everyone or just Keropi :-)

Let us know!

The Possibilities seem endless!!!!
Old 04 August 2008, 16:22   #108
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

@ Paradroid
You're six years late

Surely you want to do a Softmod after everything I've explained here? Very cheap, easy to do, no soldering. Potentially free. Once you have the equipment (Game + Memory card with save) you can do as many as you like for any mates.

Hardmod =
Old 04 August 2008, 20:21   #109
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Xbox Emu is better than PC for most of it unless you're talking about the bigger stuff - PC's are fantastic for the wealth great emu's but it just feels like you're not playing an old system rather a pc emu, and that isn't what any of us surely want.

The UI for most of these(Xports) are very customizable (bgm mp3 ,picture choice for main menu and games select etc and font colour and size choice) and is a doddle once you get used to them.

The real beauty for most of the 8bits and Amiga EMU is that it runs as it would do on a standard crt tv ie perfect scrolling, none of this lcd or plasma blur rubbish

Iv'e always had a problem with pc's when it comes to emulation as the whole experience feels disconnected half the time - it's a real joy seeing your snes game running on that crt and looking identical

For more powerful Emu like Mame i would choose PC ( even though the stuff you likely care about from those wonderfull arcade years works beautifully on xbox) but for C64, Speccy,snes,Megadrve,PC-Engine Xbox is so much more how an emulation experience should feel.C64 as an example on pc really does demonstrate how quite unlike playing an old machine feels - it's so much fuss getting sound and scrolling as they should be from say a 2000 cpu and there is absolutely none of this with xbox.

Winuaex is very good on Xbox also and i use it a lot but Winuae for PC offers just as much and more of course in terms of how much faster you can make it run and the continual updates.

Xbox emulation rules though and is the very reason i have 6 of them all modded

Last edited by Adropac2; 07 August 2008 at 05:29.
Old 04 August 2008, 20:38   #110
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
The real beauty for most of the 8bits and Amiga EMU is that it runs as it would do on a standard crt tv ie perfect scrolling, none of this lcd or plasma blur rubbish
Sorry I have to disagree. The X-box emulators all suffer from a problem of interlacing and scaling. They were never correctly programmed to use a single field (they were capable of it, but it was "too low level" for the emulator coders) and so they all use an interlaced screen mode with the image scaled over two fields, which looks "ok", but noticeably different to the single field progressive output of the old 8-bits (and 16-bits). Also the flexible scaling on the X-box... which is cool, can exacerbate this problem. It can be difficult to get the correct aspect ratio and the scaling can make pixels appear on different fields causing strange motion effects.

Dont get me wrong. I like X-box emulators... it's just they are not "perfect".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
Iv'e always had a problem with pc's when it comes to emulation as the whole experience feels disconnected half the time - it's a real joy seeing your snes game running on that crt and looking identical
I take it you have always had an LCD on your PC?

PC CRT users have (for a long time) been able to use PowerStrip to select a 720x576@50Hz screen mode and run their emulators full screen with V-Sync for great results. It looks as good (if not better) than the X-box. It looks a LOT better than emulators in the standard desktop resolutions of 1280x1024@75Hz. If your CRT or gfx card do not do 50Hz, you can try 100Hz, but the results are not always the same

There are no interlaced artefacts on a PC display (unlike the xbox on a TV) because it is progressive, the only downer is that it is a lot sharper... which isn't always desirable. Some emulators have PAL output filters which can help, but most other filters are rubbish.

Last edited by alexh; 04 August 2008 at 21:02.
Old 04 August 2008, 20:59   #111
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

NVidia cards, even on my old laptop are capable to have custom screen resolution even without powerstrip. That's how I used to run WinUAE, with custom resolution, and then when connected to regular TV you have the same picture as you would with regular Amiga (+double scan and flicker fix)

alexh,
while reading some things about xbox drives (my drive is Thompson) I read that some media might not work (CD-R, CD-RW and DVD-R) and that there is a tweak to fix them to work. Do you know anything about this?
Old 04 August 2008, 21:04   #112
Adropac2
Zone Friend

The fact is though this stuff looks better (and by better i mean more authentic)on an older crt tv

Most people played these older systems on their 14 or 21 crt's and that is just something you cannot recreate on pc regardless of filters etc - an old tv and xbox emulation is just better if you want that same effect

No ammount of tech is going to get any closer really to emulating that all important old tv look and a more fuller re-creation of some of these older machines is only ever going to be possible when hooked up to the display it was on ie crt tv.PC strips a lot of that joyous nostalgia because of it's superior dispay.

Always hook it up to the tv i guess but if you're using monitors of any type for emulating the older machines then yuck

And the truth is Alex nobody is going to notice half the stuff you mention if what they see on the screen looks like what they remember, and it does much more so than it ever does on a pc display

My PC monitor is a big fat crt.

Are they phasing crt monitors out completely

Last edited by Adropac2; 06 August 2008 at 03:59.
Old 04 August 2008, 21:26   #113
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

@ Adropac2
Yeah, right! Whatever you say.

The first thing my mate (non technical) said when I showed him the emulator of our favourite game we used to play as kids was "Cool...Did it used to flicker like that?? I don't remember it flickering like that!" I enabled the filter to 1 and got "Now it's fuzzy.. put it back"

@ Anubis
Yeah, the Thomson drive is the worst of the three drives for compatibility (Samsung is the best). You can adjust a potential resistor on the laser, but you risk making it unable to read any discs.

Trust me.. you will almost never use your X-box optical drive for anything. Maybe the odd original DVD (which the Thomson drive does well). You might as well leave it as it is.

P.S. Do not follow [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by alexh; 04 August 2008 at 21:35.
Old 04 August 2008, 21:34   #114
Adropac2
Zone Friend

You sure like to be right don't you Alex

I disagree with what you're saying as i think it misses the point as to what people want to experience from an emulator

In fact there really isn't anything to argue about here, PC can do a whole lot more than an xbox ever could but the ease at which you can hook an xbox up to an old tv and enjoy the games much more like how they used to feel is something lost on pc.That's just a fact.No the xbox to tv setup isn't entirely perfect but it's more so than what you get from a monitor.

If all i had was a pc to run these games then that would be fine too but part of the nostalgic joy is having a closer representation - that is to say the displays in this case need to be old tv crt

Same too with Arcades games as while Mame does incredible things, it's a much better experience if it's all housed in an arcade cabinet as well like lots do already.True that still doesn't get you 100% of the experience you got from your fave game back then as there is more to it but it does go a long way to making it feel closer to how you remember.An arcade x stick in front of a pc is nice(i had one a fews years back)but it really doesn't in any way work like how you would like regarding that old feel and it's the same for how we use these emulators.

You certainly have an abrubt manner about you i'll say that though it's me really that should be saying whatever

Last edited by Adropac2; 04 August 2008 at 22:43.
Old 04 August 2008, 22:37   #115
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Sorry you feel like that, it was not my intention.

Your reply had no content other than "I think it looks better... so that means it IS" which isn't a very good argument is it? If it had been a reasoned, technical argument you'd have got a different response

BTW: You like my living room? Xbox on the left... Arcade game (one of many) on the right
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eprom.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	17404  
Old 04 August 2008, 22:51   #116
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
P.S. Do not follow [ Show youtube player ]

I had some problem with drive where it will not boot disk (all original disks) and required reboot to start the game, or sometimes in the game would tell that there is a problem with DVD.

I will wait until drive is dead before trying to do any changes.

BTW, nice tutorial on softmodding. You should add replacing of HD as well.
Old 04 August 2008, 22:58   #117
Adropac2
Zone Friend

That's cool thanks Alexh yes i maybe could have been a little vague getting my point across so my apologies, i presumed you would know what i was getting at as it seemed obvious to me

And yes to the arcade you have, i too hope to have an arcade in my room one day - probably an arcade x made one so i can play them as they were intended
Old 04 August 2008, 23:35   #118
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
BTW: You like my living room?
i like your loudspeaker

the way he goes like:

Old 05 August 2008, 10:15   #119
Macca
Zone Friend

Sadly I think my DVD drive is on the way out now as it's not reading as well as it did initially.

I've opened the damn thing up and cleaned it (air duster / lens cleaner) which made it a little better but still no go so now I need to mod the dvd drive!

Should be fun!

M.
Old 05 August 2008, 11:01   #120
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
got an hour free? want to find out how they hacked the xbox ? want a laugh at microsoft ?
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...2wKWzqQY&hl=en
AdSense AdSense