English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 January 2011, 18:16   #681
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Yes you can TSOP flash an Xbox, as long as it's not a v1.6.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 January 2011, 22:01   #682
Parsec

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
You should install XBMC as the dashboard... I think the information is here in the thread on how to do it (or PM me).

http://sshcs.com/xbmc/?mode=NSAC&AR=XBOX
I use XBMC on my HTPC and love it. So if I install it on my xbox will it become the default on bootup? With Unleash-X I have to press a button combo on the controller to fire it up. Is XBMC worth using even though I won't be using it for media, just emulators etc.
Old 08 January 2011, 22:29   #683
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Depends on what yout bios looks for during boot.

You can rename XBMC.xbe to whatever it is it boots from now, for example just rename XBMC.xbe to unleash.xbe and it will boot straight into XBMC.

But if you're not going to use it for movies and such there's no point in changing to XBMC if you're already running UnleashX.
Old 09 January 2011, 12:02   #684
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Depends... XBMC offers a nice user interface to programs but it is slightly slower to boot than Unleash-X

If you are using Ndure then you can follow my guide on how to use the configurable re-direct program which comes with XBMC4XBOX to boot from E:\APPS\XBMC\default.xbe
Old 14 January 2011, 15:18   #685
Parsec

Is it normal that my softmodded xbox always boots a game disc rather than my dashboard if one is present in the tray? It can be a faff sometimes having to remove the disc and turn the console off/on again when this happens.
Old 14 January 2011, 15:27   #686
Amigafanboi

You can change settings in XBMC to turn autoboot of disks off.
Old 14 January 2011, 16:03   #687
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Same goes for Unleash-X. But I am not 100% sure if on power-on the BIOS boots the disc before the dash and there is nothing you can do?
Old 14 January 2011, 16:37   #688
Parsec

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Same goes for Unleash-X. But I am not 100% sure if on power-on the BIOS boots the disc before the dash and there is nothing you can do?
That's what seems to be happening.
Old 14 January 2011, 16:40   #689
deicidal
Registered Insane

I have a feeling it may well do as my stepson semi bricked his, if you stuck a disk in for bootup it worked fine, if you tried letting it go to the dash you got the death screen
Old 14 January 2011, 16:47   #690
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Google for :

ndure
config.inc
nkpatcher
config
%define BOOT_DASH_ONLY

And I think you'll find what you want
Old 14 January 2011, 22:24   #691
Parsec

Tonight I've installed CoinOps

The version I got included ROMS. But I'm a bit amazed at the format. The roms folder just has a big mess of unpacked romsets so there's just randomly named .bin files everywhere. A bit annoying because I wanted to cherrypick my games rather than copy all 4.5gb over to the 10gb HDD.

Surely coinops supports zipped roms?
Old 14 January 2011, 23:52   #692
rare_j
Zone Friend

Coinops is a dog's dinner maintained by a bizzare individual.
It's just the old old version of mame re-skinned with some tweaks and a tonne of garbage.
I struggled with it for a while myself.
Does it come with a dat file of any sort these days? If so you might use clrmamepro to tidy up the roms. In the end I went back to mame128 and final burn legends.
Old 15 January 2011, 00:14   #693
Parsec

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
Coinops is a dog's dinner maintained by a bizzare individual.
It's just the old old version of mame re-skinned with some tweaks and a tonne of garbage.
I struggled with it for a while myself.
Does it come with a dat file of any sort these days? If so you might use clrmamepro to tidy up the roms. In the end I went back to mame128 and final burn legends.
Glad it's not just me. I've set the FTP job going it's going to be an hour to copy across all the roms, most of which I'm not really bothered about

All I want is a game of outrun!
Old 15 January 2011, 01:09   #694
Amigafanboi

What kind of speeds do you get with FTP? i originally used IE to FTP and got some really sad speeds, swapped over to Flashfxp and got way better speeds.
Old 15 January 2011, 09:52   #695
Parsec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigafanboi View Post
What kind of speeds do you get with FTP? i originally used IE to FTP and got some really sad speeds, swapped over to Flashfxp and got way better speeds.
I was using Explorer too but can't say how fast it was because there's no info like that on the copy dialog.

I'm switching to FileZilla now as I like that and my big overnight FTP job didn't seem to work
Old 15 January 2011, 10:11   #696
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=727907&postcount=6

I can see I'm not the only one not being completely enthustiastic about CoinOPS.

In the end I ended up deleting all Mega Drive, PCE, NES, SNES, PSX, Gamegear and a lot of useless files in the CoinOPS dir.
All I want is the MAME roms and that's what's left now.
Bloat bloat bloat.
Old 15 January 2011, 17:28   #697
waal

I did the same. That "new" CoinOPS is a mess and the usual standalone emus are more advanced, stable and easier to configure. At least this arcade emu could have a dat file like Final Burn Legends but nope, you've got to get the full package first and then sort stuff. I prefer to stick to FBL, Xport-Madmab emus and an old arcade emu instead.

BTW, Filezilla is fine for FTP to the xbox. Free and easy. But I slightly prefer Fetch on Mac OS X, much better GUI.
Old 17 January 2011, 11:23   #698
Parsec

Update on the xbox from working on it over the weekend.

I had a brainwave about the coinops roms my roms folder was all odd because I realised that my usenet client had been a bit overaggressive at unpacking the files Id downloaded. It reconstructed the multi-part RAR and unpacked it (fine) but then it scanned those files for RAR/ZIP and unpacked them all. Doh! So all the zipped ROM files got unpacked, and it had deleted the originals too.

There was no way back from this so I re-downloaded Coinops again (all 4.5gb), but it was well worth it. All the files copied over the xbox no problem, and its now working 100%.

I was quite excited playing it last night I can really see what the appeal is of the xbox for this stuff now. Running 2D games, the scrolling is silky smooth, even on my LCD TV. Its a lot like Amiga hardware scrolling on a CRT very nice.

I'm now happy with Coinops Ignite and the xbox too
Old 27 January 2011, 14:12   #699
Parsec

Are people using dvd2xbox to run games off the HDD? This is not a piracy question by the way mods! All my xbox games are originals I just want to run off HDD so I can modify files.

Does dvd2xbox put the files in a folder structure you can view and change?

I need NTSC versions of default.xbe for GTA III and Vice City if anyone has them!

Since enable prog scan on my console these games don't run correctly, screen is all garbled Known issue with PAL version of game apparently
Old 27 January 2011, 14:17   #700
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Yep, DVD2Xbox works a treat
AdSense AdSense