English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 December 2009, 16:48   #541
waal

For those who enjoys Winuaex v17, I made a compatibility list.
I have also settings and a datfile.

This concerns good old ADF scene releases of course. They come from Tosec, Gamebase and here.

WHD is the further step. Probably for the release of the next version of Winuaex.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 December 2009, 18:40   #542
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Nice work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waal View Post
Probably for the release of the next version of Winuaex.
The author has quit the scene and released the sources.

Unless you are taking up coding I very much doubt there will be any more versions.
Old 21 December 2009, 19:51   #543
waal

There is actually a new version of Winuaex in progress. It supports new features like dual-screen preview, videos, synopsis and the df0:???? bug solved. More important, it already have internal support for WHD files and will include my settings for ADF.
You can have a look at XboX Scene forum if you like to know more.
Old 21 December 2009, 20:13   #544
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Ah, so finally the DF0 bug is taken care of.
I reported that bug to Xport ages ago.
Old 21 December 2009, 20:37   #545
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
There is actually a new version of Winuaex in progress.
You can have a look at XboX Scene forum if you like to know more.
I am an XBOX-SCENE member and I actually posted in the WinUAEx thread. Unfortunately there appears to have been no updates from madmab since October and the thread about the release of a new version dates back to April.

We'll see if it is a) ever released and b) has any core updates. Hope it is but I'm not holding my breath
Old 21 December 2009, 21:36   #546
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

We can but hope.
Old 21 December 2009, 22:36   #547
waal

All I can say right now is that the new version exists and that its latest build is very recent.

By the way, every suggestions and help offer is welcome.
Old 21 December 2009, 23:13   #548
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I tried many years ago to update the WinUAE core files at the heart of WinUAEx but failed miserably. I couldn't even fully separate out which ones had been modified by XPORT.

I take it that it is still using the old WinUAE files?
Old 22 December 2009, 00:24   #549
waal

Yes it's the same core. Obviously based on 0827 and tweaked by Xport. I find its compatibility quite good. What do you think of it ?
Old 22 December 2009, 00:50   #550
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The biggest problem is inherent to all XBOX emulators in that there doesn't appear to be a 280p/288p screen mode and lowres/highres screens are displayed as 567i which results in interlaced artefacts not present on a real Amiga. I doubt very much if you can fix this as no-one in the history of the XBOX homebrew scene ever solved it.

Another more aesthetic problem is the incorrectly emulated border register which results in crap / wrong colour in one or both of the borders. This is fixed in a later version of WinUAE core but I could never work out how to back-port because the changes between versions were extensive.

I now have a much better grasp of TKDIFF and CVS so tracking the changes might be easier than last time I tried. I think there are sources available for most versions of WinUAE dating back to 0827 on the internet.

Last edited by alexh; 22 December 2009 at 00:57.
Old 02 January 2010, 11:15   #551
mully

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Press that button. Power back on and you should see the XBMC logo and voila!
I tried this twice and got the default xbox boot up - no XBMC, no UnleashX dash. Having re-installed UnleashX twice, and no luck searching forums, I thought I better ask before trying again. Below screens are with UnleashX dash loading fine:

My C: which appears to contain the default xbox dash.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-01-02_2044.png
Views:	136
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	23834

My E:/Dashboard - the file size of default.xbe in here matches default.xbe in /E/Apps/unleashx/

Name:	2010-01-02_2047.png
Views:	156
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	23835

First part of E:/Dashboard/Config.xml

Name:	2010-01-02_2049.png
Views:	160
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	23836

Anything I can check?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Then comes installing the "Must have" XBMC plugins. If you live in the UK then iPlayer v2 is fantastic.
Unfortunate that BBC does not enable iPlayer to play its radio overseas when it can be heard outside the UK using the web browser version of iPlayer. To see if I could get BBC radio, YouTube etc. I installed the Navi-X player in /E/Apps/xmbc/scripts/ but found XBMC produces an error when running the python script. Again no luck on other forums. Could the error be caused by a shortage of memory with XBMC running over UnleashX?
Old 02 January 2010, 13:15   #552
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Dunno what you've done but did you follow my guide step by step? When you are finished E:/Dashboard directory should only contain the two XBMC redirection files

default.xbe 65,536
default.cfg 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligans_flat View Post
Unfortunate that BBC does not enable iPlayer overseas
There are ways around that. Just use a UK based IP redirection. Google about it and you'll find the solution.

http://liveuktv.wordpress.com/

Last edited by alexh; 02 January 2010 at 13:23.
Old 03 January 2010, 04:40   #553
mully

My stupid error - after trying a third time with same result, I noticed that I had mis-spelt the XBMC folder in E:/Apps as "XMBC". So the config file could not find it. Now working fine, thanks.
Old 13 January 2010, 22:25   #554
waal

Winuaex default resolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
I assume you have a PAL XBOX as you live in UK.
So set resolution to 720x576 and resize screen to 908x624.
That's the perfect setup for 480i.
I've been talking today about memory leaks with Madmab, a coder who's improving Winuaex, and the discussion came about screen resolution and size.

We are used to the settings quoted above and they're fine.But I was told the original coder, X-Port, had defined a default screen size of 908x312.

I'd like to know the reason of this choice because it doesn't look like a genuine amiga one.

Do you guys have a clue about this ?
Old 13 January 2010, 23:39   #555
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Nope, but screen is perfect with these values.
Btw I meant 576i, not 480i, sorry 'bout that.
Old 14 January 2010, 00:01   #556
waal

Yes, I use 576i too and for sure it's perfect.

But do you sometime encouter freezes with Winuaex ? I mean, there are some and we're trying to understand the reasons to optimize this port if possible. For instance, is it memory related, does AGA emulation eats too much ressources or maybe it's due to the screen resolution or is it all of this at the same time ?
Old 14 January 2010, 13:28   #557
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Nope can't say I ever encountered any lockups.
The only thing I have to "complain" about is, that some AGA or CD32 games runs very poor or don't work at all.
Not a big deal though as all ECS/OCS games pretty much runs perfect.
Old 20 January 2010, 18:05   #558
waal

Hey,

It's been days I'm trying to mod. I bought an XBOX 1.0 and used Soft Mod Installer Deluxe v5.01. It worked well for modding the original HDD except the led blinking that means I have to set time.

The real problem is upgrading the hard drive, a 250gb western digital caviar: I backuped my eeprom and the original HD content to my PC. Then I followed the instructions for HDM 1.9 and my new HDD was properly installed.

When I tested the new HDD i found two problems:

(- ~123gb allocated to F but where in the hell is the rest ? So I activated the G drive and I got a 0 byte size on screen.

Edit. Fixed in theory. I forgot I had to format G. Will try when I can boot something on the console.)

- Worse than that, I set the time in the original xbox dash like they said to stop the led blinking. Since then I always have a black screen after the flubber and the XBOX when I boot the xbox.

So I plugged back to the PC the new HDD and redid the HDM 1.9 step. But I always have this black screen when I boot. The original HDD still boots, though.

Thanks for helping me (AlexH ?).

I need my retro fix !!!
Old 20 January 2010, 18:18   #559
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
I used Soft Mod Installer Deluxe v5.01.
Not familiar with it. A quick google shows that SID v5.10 Final is the latest.

I always use Krayzie's Ndure installer.
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=430898

Quote:
~123gb allocated to F but where in the hell is the rest ?
There are two different modes nkpatcher 11 can patch the BIOS. They are named cryptically .6 and .67 (the numbers refer to partition numbers) .6 puts all available space on F: and .67 puts 128gb on F: and the rest on G: It sounds to me like you have the setup which .67

Quote:
So I activated the G drive and I got a 0 byte size on screen.
Did you format it?

Quote:
It worked well for modding the original HDD except the led blinking that means I have to set time.
Never ever heard of this. LED blinking has always meant the video cable isn't plugged in correctly. I've had my xbox unplugged for weeks and the LED doesn't flash! Maybe it is a "feature" of Softmod installer deluxe. The softmod controls the default state of the LED. It is configurable.

Quote:
I set the time in the original xbox dash like they said to stop the led blinking.Since then I always have a black screen after the flubber and the XBOX when I boot the xbox.
Does the hard-drive image you install using XBOXHDM already contain the softmod?

Either way, return to an original unmodified XBOX drive image and apply the Ndure 3.1 Softmod manually using the Windows PC utility prior to using XBOX HDM.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=411052

Partition, format, install and then lock the drive with the EPROM key and everything should be great.

Last edited by alexh; 20 January 2010 at 18:33.
Old 21 January 2010, 03:51   #560
waal

Thank you very much for your answer.

Oops forgot to format the G partition. How can I be so distracted sometimes...

Yes the HDM image was a clone of the softmod I initially applied to the original drive (which still works). I installed & locked it and it worked one time. Before I took care of those blinking led where SID5 manual tells to set the clock to stop it. Since then no more boot, just black screen after the xbox logo.

I know that SID5 can revert the first drive to original state. I just hope there will be no issues.

Regarding the new HDD: I tried to format it on windows for a fresh start and Partition Magic says it has I/O errors. The drive was 100% working before, coming straight from the shop and tested on peecee. Is it because it is now xbox formatted and locked ? A protection ? Or the drive is f**** up ?
AdSense AdSense