English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 April 2009, 23:55   #461
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
I have yet to mod mine, but I have been buying XBOX items super cheap on ebay. Seems people are dumping XBOX stuff like mad on ebay, I have been buying lots of games for around $2 or so SHIPPED each (DVD case, manual, DVD). I also snagged a new xbox dvd remote for $5 shipped and finally got component cables for the HD 32" TV (nice playing halo on a widescreen).

Currently I have like 27 games (one guy included a sealed Halo 3 for xbox360 too).
AdSense AdSense  
Old 05 April 2009, 00:12   #462
r0jaws
Amibay fanboi

I didn't realise it was possible to upgrade the RAM to 128mb on the standard xBox.
I heard (can't think where now) that it wouldn't recognise the extra 64mb anyway.
I've got a couple of MAME games that run out of memory on load and could use this upgrade if it is a good one.
Old 05 April 2009, 02:26   #463
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
P.S. Remember after softmodding to enable the extra 2Gbytes of F: if your original HD is a seagate.
Hi alexh,
I softmodded my Xbox years ago. I don't remember if I checked the HD brand... or how to enable the extra 2GB.
How can I check my HD model (without opening the case, of course )?

Quote:
Did you upgrade the RAM to 128Mbytes?

I am now thinking of doing this to my second box.... need to find another source of RAM chips.
Which advantage did you get on your first xbox, by installing the extra 64MB RAM ?
Unless you can use it as a cache to minimise HD/DVD reads...

Quote:
Google for Enigmah PAL-NTSC Switcher (I'm sure that there are alternatives to this)

This is an alternative softmod to NDURE which can permanently change your xbox to HD for all game titles and apps. While I've never used it, I'm sure some friends used this.
The link seems no more valid...
Have you a newer link?
Old 05 April 2009, 08:55   #464
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
Hi alexh,
I softmodded my Xbox years ago. I don't remember if I checked the HD brand... or how to enable the extra 2GB.
How can I check my HD model (without opening the case, of course )?

Which advantage did you get on your first xbox, by installing the extra 64MB RAM ?
Unless you can use it as a cache to minimise HD/DVD reads...

The link seems no more valid...
Have you a newer link?
From memory, its more for linux than anything, and I think there is a version of Mame that utilizes 128MB of ram, so it handles more Roms better.
Old 05 April 2009, 11:36   #465
Sensi
Unregistered User

I am absolute xbox noob and there is something I dont understand at all. You have to mod xbox when you wanna replace hd, ok, but when you wanna use burned cd/dvd with original hd, why to mod it? Laser lens read discs, dont they?

And tell me someone please if the memory card in my post above is/isnt ok for modding.
Old 06 April 2009, 00:59   #466
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleFan View Post
I am absolute xbox noob and there is something I dont understand at all. You have to mod xbox when you wanna replace hd, ok, but when you wanna use burned cd/dvd with original hd, why to mod it? Laser lens read discs, dont they?

And tell me someone please if the memory card in my post above is/isnt ok for modding.
The firmware needs to be replaced on the xbox to allow backups to be played. This can be done by modchips which bypass the MS BIOS loading or actually rewriting the MS BIOS by using a softmod trick like the 007 Agent under Fire gamesave exploit (works great).

google "007 game exploit"
Old 06 April 2009, 07:50   #467
Sensi
Unregistered User

Ah, simple Thanks for explanation. Seems I will have an assistant for the modding, itll be peace of cake.
Old 25 September 2009, 21:16   #468
mully

Smile

I have an xbox, Splinter Cell and xbox-USB cable. I want to soft mod it to run XMBC media centre. Would really appreciate a link to a clear, simple step-by-step guide to get this running. Lots of info around but overloaded - I am lazy. Thanks.
Old 25 September 2009, 21:48   #469
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligans_flat View Post
I have an xbox, Splinter Cell and xbox-USB cable. I want to soft mod it to run XMBC media centre. Would really appreciate a link to a clear, simple step-by-step guide to get this running. Lots of info around but overloaded - I am lazy. Thanks.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 28 September 2009, 02:50   #470
Eclipse
Turpentine

I did my old Xbox today, it's a piece of piss if done correctly. I used 007 as I had that.
I've installed XBMC via FTP and been playing around with that for a bit, bit of a headache to find your way around sometimes though.
Next step is Winuaex me thinks.

Only issue I have is it locks up with high def video, I've heard it has to be NTSC and sometimes it's quite slow anyway?
Old 28 September 2009, 10:14   #471
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
Only issue I have is it locks up with high def video
Not an issue, it is a feature. The XBOX's 733MHz Celeron just cannot decode most HD video. It just doesn't have the CPU power.

Quote:
I've heard it has to be NTSC
To display output in HD rather than downscale to SD. Yes you have to switch your BIOS EPROM to NTSC using the enigmah tool. You cannot enable 720p+ in PAL. (And of course you need a HD component cable.)

Quote:
and sometimes it's quite slow anyway?
Unless it was encoded at bit-rates the XBOX like's then normally it will freeze or constantly drop frames.

If you've not already done so, I strongly recommend that you setup XBMC as your dashboard.
Old 28 September 2009, 19:28   #472
Eclipse
Turpentine

Cheers, much appreciated.
Yeah I get the general consensus that XBMC as a dash is the way to go. I'm running UnleashX so just need to read around on how to do it. I know with Evox you can use a program that makes a starter and you replace that with Evox's dash file.

EDIT: Forgot to ask, I have a HDD lying around (under 137GB) is it worth upgrading it? I feel competent enough to do it.
Old 28 September 2009, 20:38   #473
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Cheers, much appreciated.
Yeah I get the general consensus that XBMC as a dash is the way to go. I'm running UnleashX so just need to read around on how to do it.
Included with a t3ch XBMC download is a directory called _tools and inside are a two crucial files. One suffixed .cfg and the other .xbe

Rename the cfg file default.cfg and rename the .xbe as default.xbe

Edit the config file and put the path of your XBMC install dir (e.g. E:\apps\XBMC)

FTP into your XBOX, I recommend you keep UnleashX as an application so go to E:\dashboard and move all the files to E:\apps\UnleashX. Now in their place FTP over the two files default.xbe and default.cfg from the XBMC _tools DIR.

Clench buttock cheeks, Reboot and voila.

Quote:
EDIT: Forgot to ask, I have a HDD lying around (under 137GB) is it worth upgrading it? I feel competent enough to do it.
Depends if you want to take your box round to a mates, or play XBOX games without messing about with CDs. Native xbox games are the only files which need to be on the hard drive, any other files (media or emulator ROMs) can live on your network and be accessed via SAMBA.

It is very easy to add a new hard drive. You first download the xboxhdm appliction, FTP off all the files from your C: and E: put them where the README tells you to in the xboxhdm directory structure. Then FTP off your EPROM key which will be used to lock the hard drive. Then either make a CD-R or a bootable USB Key.

Connect the new xbox hard drive as IDE0 MASTER and boot xboxhdm and just follow the options.

Last edited by alexh; 28 September 2009 at 20:46.
Old 28 September 2009, 20:53   #474
DoogUK
Doogster

Question without me reading this whole thread.

My xbox has an xecutor chip installed and the standard hard isk...i have a 120 gig HD spare...with it being chipped can i just install the drive and then run the AID disk? or do i need to swap the drives using hot swap?
Old 28 September 2009, 21:03   #475
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoogUK View Post
can i just install the drive and then run the AID disk?
Yes.

With a hard-mod you do not need to lock your hard drive and so you can just swap in a new one then boot from DVD-R.

You never ever have to hot-swap unless you have no soft-mod kit (i.e. memory card with special save game & original game)
Old 28 September 2009, 21:05   #476
DoogUK
Doogster

Cheers Alex....a project for tomorrow then.
Old 28 September 2009, 21:07   #477
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Only thing to bare in mind is that you must format with larger cluster size when using drives larger than 256GBytes or you will get data loss.

(xbpartitioner can formatting disks with larger cluster sizes)
Old 28 September 2009, 21:15   #478
DoogUK
Doogster

Its only 120gb so i should be safe.

I wish somone would hack a wireless USB dongle to work with the xbox..the wireless adapters seem to be rare and expensive.
Old 28 September 2009, 21:24   #479
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
I wish somone would hack a wireless USB dongle to work with the xbox..
You'd be limited to 12Mbits cos XBOX is USB1.1

Just use the 100Mbit ethernet port instead.

Quote:
the wireless adapters seem to be rare and expensive.
Probably because the MN740 was just a rebranded D-Link DGL-3420 at 2x the price.

They never even made it to the UK because here in 2002 the broadband revolution had happened and everyone got a free wireless modem router bundled with their broadband. Xbox plugs into any brand wireless router to make it wireless. There was no demand.
Old 28 September 2009, 22:03   #480
Eclipse
Turpentine

Thanks,
I will make a new HDD and put everything back onto it. Then make XBMC the dash on the new drive. That way if anything goes wrong I have the original HDD to fall back on.

EDIT FOR Doog:
I use an old router with DD-WRT as a wireless bridge solely for the Xbox. Ethernet cable between the Xbox and router and the rest is wireless.

Last edited by Eclipse; 28 September 2009 at 22:19.
AdSense AdSense