English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 September 2008, 20:06   #401
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
perhapse we need a new thread - soft moding the wii - keeps us in formed as my daughter is havein a wii for christmas hahahha reminds me of the time she came down stairs and said she had pooh on her knickers hehehhehehhe
AdSense AdSense  
Old 02 October 2008, 09:24   #402
seuden
uber cool demi god

I've got the Wiigator backup loader working, the loading times are slower and the cut scenes do jitter on most games but the actual game runs fine. It was pretty easy to install, I'd definitely recommend giving it a try if you are confident.
Old 03 November 2008, 13:44   #403
Brutal DLX
DLX User

Looking for some advice here (I have Googled for this, but I seem to keep finding conflicting and/or out of date instructions/suggestions).

I recently picked up a second-hand Xbox with a modchip. It has the evox dash installed. It also has a positively ancient version of Xbox Media Player installed. I've tried watching a few xvid videos on it, but I only get sound (the picture is completely blank).

I'm assuming an update to XBMC is in order, but which version should I use? A recent beta version or an earlier, stable release?

Also, should I replace evox as the dash and use a new-fangled XBMC instead? An explanation of potential advantages and drawbacks would be appreciated.
Old 03 November 2008, 13:48   #404
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I'd recommend grabbing the latest t3ch build, I've never had any problems with them.

I'd also recommend using xbmc as your default dash as it's a whole lot nicer than evox.

There are no drawbacks
Old 03 November 2008, 14:11   #405
Brutal DLX
DLX User

Thanks, KG. Just a couple more questions...

Is there a simple method of replacing evox as the dash? Do I simply install the new XBMC and somehow tell the xbox to use that as the default dash, or is it a little bit more complex than that? I've seen what appear to be auto-installers floating around. Could you point me in the right direction? Thanks.

(FYI, I have the FTP situation fully sussed out and working.)
Old 03 November 2008, 14:17   #406
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal DLX View Post
Thanks, KG. Just a couple more questions...

Is there a simple method of replacing evox as the dash? Do I simply install the new XBMC and somehow tell the xbox to use that as the default dash, or is it a little bit more complex than that? I've seen what appear to be auto-installers floating around. Could you point me in the right direction? Thanks.

(FYI, I have the FTP situation fully sussed out and working.)
Do you know what chip it is? If the chip takes an xecuter bios, get the latest version installed and grab the x2config tool, you can then set what programs are tried at startup.
Old 03 November 2008, 14:17   #407
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
I've got the Wiigator backup loader working, the loading times are slower and the cut scenes do jitter on most games but the actual game runs fine. It was pretty easy to install, I'd definitely recommend giving it a try if you are confident.
The new version 0.3 by Wiigator is a lot faster and is better at playing media from disc. Also you don't need to patch the ISO's
Old 03 November 2008, 14:18   #408
Brutal DLX
DLX User

The chip is a Duo X3.
Old 03 November 2008, 14:32   #409
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You need to know what BIOS your modchip uses and which files on which partitions does it check on bootup

If I were you I would install the latest XBMC onto E:/APPS/XBMC

Alongside XBMC in the archive is a directory called _tools and in that file you should find two files called :

SHORTCUT by TEAM XBMC.cfg
SHORTCUT by TEAM XBMC.xbe

rename these appropriately for your BIOS (e.g. default.xbe & default.cfg, or evoxdash.xbe & evoxdash.cfg etc) and place then in the root of either E: or F: partitions (or worse case C:) Perhaps use XBTool to change boot priorities?

Next time you fire up the xbox it should boot to XBMC

Last edited by alexh; 03 November 2008 at 14:40.
Old 03 November 2008, 14:35   #410
h0ffman

Yeah, you can simply use the latest xecuter x2 bios on them. Head on over to #XBINS of EFNET, type !list in the channel and the ftp details will simply appear in a private message. There you will find anything you could ever want on your xbox.
Old 03 November 2008, 14:42   #411
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Take care when changing your modchip BIOS if your Xbox is a v1.6

Older BIOS's are not compatible with the Xcalibur video encoder and could leave you bricked.

5035 I think is the last X2 bios, but I've always used 4983

Last edited by alexh; 03 November 2008 at 14:49.
Old 03 November 2008, 16:41   #412
Brutal DLX
DLX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Take care when changing your modchip BIOS if your Xbox is a v1.6

Older BIOS's are not compatible with the Xcalibur video encoder and could leave you bricked.

5035 I think is the last X2 bios, but I've always used 4983
Ok, thanks for the advice (that goes for all of you). The bios is a 1.6, so as you suggested I'll simply try to install XBMC onto E: (by the looks of things) and see how I go.

I'll come back to you all if I have any problems. Thanks again guys.
Old 03 November 2008, 16:58   #413
h0ffman

Does anyone else have any questions regarding console mods? Just curious as I've softmodded all of mine now, PSP, PS2, Xbox, 360 and Wii. If anyone wants to know methods, the benefits etc. let me know.
Old 03 November 2008, 17:12   #414
Brutal DLX
DLX User

Weeeell... now that you mention it... I've been meaning to get around to it.

My other half has a PSP. It's a (relatively) old one with a TA-082 motherboard. I researched it all about two years ago and got all the homebrew/downgrading to 1.50 firmware happening via Henc. We split up for about a year but recently got back together. She's basically lost all interest in it, but I'm interested in catching up on it all again (yeah, I could Google it, but you did ask ).

I suppose it all depends on whether or not you know much about the TA-082 mobo. In the (very) brief searches I've done, I've seen "Hend" appear quite frequently, so I'm assuming that's a successor of some sort to Henc. Is it also a tiff exploit?

Oh, the firmware on the PSP in question is 2.71.

Onto the Xbox 360. I've been seriously considering getting one of these, though the build quality (or lack thereof) concerns me. Is the softmod method similar to that on the original Xbox? I presume that an alternative dashboard along the lines of evox can be installed as well?

Just out of curiosity, what method did you use to softmod your PS2? I didn't actually know that was possible (I got a chip in mine way back in 2002).
Old 03 November 2008, 17:15   #415
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ffman View Post
Does anyone else have any questions regarding console mods? Just curious as I've softmodded all of mine now, PSP, PS2, Xbox, 360 and Wii. If anyone wants to know methods, the benefits etc. let me know.
Sure, tell us about PS2.
Old 03 November 2008, 17:20   #416
h0ffman

Free McBoot.

Its a memory card exploit which works on all versions of the PS2 allowing booting of DVD backups and also HD installation / running games from HD. For the DVD backups, you have to patch the ISO prior to burning but its a 2 second job.

The thing to remember about Free McBoot is if you know someone with a full modded (mod chip) PS2, they can install it for you onto your memory card, you can then take the memory card and put it into your PS2. If you don't know someone with a modded PS2, then it gets a little more complicated.
Old 03 November 2008, 17:25   #417
h0ffman

Quote:
Weeeell... now that you mention it... I've been meaning to get around to it.

My other half has a PSP. It's a (relatively) old one with a TA-082 motherboard. I researched it all about two years ago and got all the homebrew/downgrading to 1.50 firmware happening via Henc. We split up for about a year but recently got back together. She's basically lost all interest in it, but I'm interested in catching up on it all again (yeah, I could Google it, but you did ask ).

I suppose it all depends on whether or not you know much about the TA-082 mobo. In the (very) brief searches I've done, I've seen "Hend" appear quite frequently, so I'm assuming that's a successor of some sort to Henc. Is it also a tiff exploit?

Oh, the firmware on the PSP in question is 2.71.

Onto the Xbox 360. I've been seriously considering getting one of these, though the build quality (or lack thereof) concerns me. Is the softmod method similar to that on the original Xbox? I presume that an alternative dashboard along the lines of evox can be installed as well?

Just out of curiosity, what method did you use to softmod your PS2? I didn't actually know that was possible (I got a chip in mine way back in 2002).
I've done shed loads of PSP's, if you're firmware is on 2.71 then you can do a simpler softmod trick just by copying the right files to the memory card, I'll dig out the guide / files for you in a bit.

Sadly to this day the only mod ono the 360 is to flash the firmware on the DVD drive to allow backups to boot. All except the Lite-On drives can be done but this does require a pc with a VIA SATA chipset. The method is a little more complicated but is definetly possible. I've done about 40.
Old 03 November 2008, 17:41   #418
h0ffman

Quote:
My other half has a PSP.
Everything you need to know is in here..

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=75867

I think the best option is running HEN-D and the 2.71 downgrader (make sure its the TA-082 version). All the links should be in that thread. This will get you to firmware 1.5, once there you can install M33 v5 firmware which utilises the in built sony ISO driver (foolish sony, leaving a really good iso driver in the firmware for the hackers to use!!!)

If your stuck or lost at anypoint, let me know. Funnily enough this is the exact method I used on my first PSP. The sweaty palms when doing it is natural. Also remember if you completley fuck it up, you can always unbrick it with a Pandora battery.
Old 04 November 2008, 07:31   #419
Brutal DLX
DLX User

Cheers man. I would have gotten around to it eventually, but thanks for the link. I'll give it a crack and see how I go (after I play around with the Xbox ).
Old 04 November 2008, 09:55   #420
Paradroid90
Open Source Guru

Gents,

I have a completely different XBOX Related question.

I have attached a Keyboard via USB Adapter cable on my XBOX and works fine in most apps and emu's (in fact i am writing this is post whilst on Firefox on XDSL on my XBOX cool eh!!!) so i know that there is no issue with the adapter.

But i cannot get Keyboard response from VICE64 emu even through the controller????

Really want to get the 64 Emu working so i can play my name sake game paradroid lol

But most disc images require a keyboard response before loading the game.

keyboard works with Vice20 as i love Jetpac so requires Function key response to start.

Any Ideas??????
AdSense AdSense