English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 27 September 2008, 10:37   #381
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklinger View Post
I finally got my 1200 hooked up to a 21" flat Trinitron CRT and the picture is AMAZING! I'm so happy.

I feel like I got way more than a flicker fixer/scan doubler because I'm now running at a resolution that was previously unusable. It's like I got a new video card. What an amazing piece of kit. I can't wait to try out the wide screen mode on my LCD.
Can you hook it to your LCD anyway and run it in standard HIGHGXF mode and tell us if it looks as good as on your CRT? If your LCD has a "4:3" mode use that instead of "Fill" or "Full Screen" and tell us if you are having the pixel clock problems some of us are having.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 27 September 2008, 11:19   #382
Ratte

@illy5603:
are you running the latest firmware?
you need v1.1 or newer for the new features.
Old 27 September 2008, 15:19   #383
reanimator
Pass me a bud'

got mine thursday but only got around to fitting it today.
only took a slight bit of pressure to fit it properly and the display is perfect on my 19" lcd monitor.
no probs with workbench or games,
only thing i did was switch on the scanlines
Old 27 September 2008, 15:44   #384
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

One of my 1200s has an NCR Lisa and the quality is terrible, the screen flickers sporadically and sometimes even turns black. My other 1200 has the HP Lisa and while the indivision seems to fit ok it flickers occasionally, much less than the NCR Lisa, I have another 1200 motherboard on the way this week hopefully that has the commodore Lisa.
Old 27 September 2008, 15:57   #385
pbareges

@illy : be insured that i use the latest firmware 1.1 and that i saved the config with user settings...my user settings are well applied (all of them : scanlines,hfreq,vfreq) et fresh start (power up) and upon reset when i pushed down ctrl+a+a long enough for the indivision to properly initialize itself...it's just that when i use software reset (tude for instance) or when i perform a short pressure on crtl+a+a that i get factory default settings....i really think it may be a matter of rom 3.0 issue as they're well known to allow little time for device initialisation process on reboot..but as long as i could solve this with a little exec in my startup files, i would be fine..i'm sure it's possible to do as just launching the config tool without any other action solves this issue...

about pixel clock, i really have not any screen distorsion (ghosting effects,...) like you..it's just that i loose sync on a random basis with my lcd whereas my crt is perfectly synced...from the config tool there are not many possible values for this (either scan factor of 1x giving around 57mhz or 1.25x giving around 71mhz)..i just try to understand :shouldnt pixel clock be close to hfreq*hres meaning that for 31khz a pixel clock of 57mhz means a horizontal resolution of 1850 approx...couldn't this param be divided by 2 for most resolutions and let as it is for resolution higher than 640 hres ?

thanks.

philippe

PS: ratte i supposed that you were part of the designing team so that's why i'm posting all the details here..is it the right place to do so or should i report it anywhere else ? (apart from german forums as i'm totally dumb in german!)

Last edited by pbareges; 27 September 2008 at 16:03.
Old 27 September 2008, 16:59   #386
Rixa

I have started to mod the RF shield for fitting in with the Indivision AGA. This is scary, because I have no experience, primitive tools, and am basically uncomfortable about modding in the first place. I lost my original RF shield top when moving years ago. I'd probably continue making do without one if I hadn't actually ordered a spare with the Indivision AGA, before I knew that it won't fit without mods .. so I decided to mod it.

It's going pretty well, considering. I wanted to take away as little as possible, meaning not to cut away the entire plate under the hard disk if I could avoid it. I made a hole where the Lisa socket pins strike out, where a small chip rests on the back of the Indivision board and where the VGA pins are soldered.

That takes care of the protruding and obviously conducting parts. I wouldn't turn the thing on like this, though. For testing I've had a sheet of paper rest between the shield and the board, and its still working. I'm thinking maybe it would be a good idea to attach a thin sheet of plastic or sticky paper to the underside of the shield for a more permanent insulation solution.

The shield plate is pretty level with the board. It's touching and feeling pretty firm even, but not bulging due to it. Seems like it could be helpful to people who have a problem with their board popping off. I still need to make room for the ribbon cable. I think I will probably cut a slit for it into the removable part of the shield and bring it on top of the shield there.

Any comments? Am I lucky to not have blown the thing up yet?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rfmods.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	18120  
Old 27 September 2008, 17:20   #387
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

HD720 1280x720 taken with my crappy phone. It really is quite nice when it doesnt flicker. I purposely hid the available chipram.

Old 27 September 2008, 17:31   #388
kriz

so how much chip is left ?
Old 27 September 2008, 17:33   #389
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixa View Post
Any comments? Am I lucky to not have blown the thing up yet?
Very nice mod!
Old 27 September 2008, 17:37   #390
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

With all those windows open and ibrowse but no miami: 479,992

Classic WB with 32 colours: 1,413,968
Old 27 September 2008, 19:32   #391
Rixa

Quote:
Originally Posted by illy5603 View Post
It looked a lot like the "Warmup Flicker" I was getting when running in multiscan productivity on my multscan monitor with the RGB/VGA adapter.
A bit off topic, but do you think it's the same issue that I was asking about at this thread? Because it would affect HighGFX and productivity, but not PAL/NTSC. Do you have a Rev 2B board too? I'm interested in the proposed fix but no one has stated to have tried it, so it makes me nervous.
Old 27 September 2008, 21:09   #392
illy5603

@Ratte,
Hi, yes 1.1 firmware and .9 config tool. I can confirm that no matter what I set in the config tool, save it, reboot it still uses default factory settings. I also tell the config tool to take timing from user settings.

@Rixa,
I have an NTSC Rev 1.D board. Yes, if I turn the system off for about an hour and turn it back on I get the same graphics glitches I got with the multiscan monitor on the RGB to VGA adapter. I was hoping those were just a byproduct of using the RGB to VGA adapter but it appears to be something on the motherboard. I am probably screwed as I have no idea how to solder and stuff.

@T_hairy_bootson,
What you are describing was what I was getting all of the time until the last of several re-seating of the card. My guess is it isn't on all the way.

I still think that when all is said and done, my problems are that it STILL isn't seated correctly. I may have to try the sanding trick...

Last edited by illy5603; 27 September 2008 at 21:44.
Old 28 September 2008, 01:31   #393
illy5603

More updates, and MODS, please let us know if we should start taking this kind of talk to prb.hardware; I have fixed my pixel clock settings on the LCD monitor. What ended up doing the trick was a program from aminet called monitor test.

util/misc/MonitorTest.lha

I went into the MOIRE settings and you will immediately notice it looks like a bunch of waves. I adjusted my monitor pixel clock settings until it looked like flat gray background and exited the utility. At this point I had to adjust the monitor centering as the right part of the screen ended up being out of view. After centering it is now working great with only a little ghosting, probably due to the cable and or quality of the dell monitor.

It makes sense that a multiscan monitor would not have these issues as they are designed to work with a far greater range of settings.

It still seems as if adjusting settings in the indivision config utility does not change anything for me, but at least I was able to tweak the monitor to work with the indivision default settings. I am also having the occasional issue where I reboot and do not get a signal. If I turn the machine off for a minute, it will come on fine. I am 3.0 roms by the way if anyone was wondering.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by illy5603; 28 September 2008 at 09:37.
Old 28 September 2008, 04:35   #394
papa_november

Is there any practical way of securing this thing to the mainboard? Maybe some sort of crazy custom bracket using the HD cradle's mounting holes?
Old 28 September 2008, 05:41   #395
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by illy5603 View Post
Can you hook it to your LCD anyway and run it in standard HIGHGXF mode and tell us if it looks as good as on your CRT?
I had it hooked up to my LCD first and it looked like pants. I'm not complaining, I'm just saying. The picture one the CRT is drool-worthy. I'm useless with a camera but I'll see if I can get a couple of comparison shots.

Quote:
If your LCD has a "4:3" mode use that instead of "Fill" or "Full Screen" and tell us if you are having the pixel clock problems some of us are having.
I'll have to get back to you on that once I update the Indivision and install HighGFX. I've only tried tried standard Amiga modes so far. The image was definitely stretched by default which may have contributed to the less than perfect picture.

@Ratte

I have got to make my system look as sweet as yours. Where did you get those icons? I've always stuck with stock Workbench and it never bothered me but now that I've got higher resolution modes I'm thinking that something snazzier is in order.
Old 28 September 2008, 10:18   #396
Ratte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbareges View Post
PS: ratte i supposed that you were part of the designing team so that's why i'm posting all the details here..is it the right place to do so or should i report it anywhere else ? (apart from german forums as i'm totally dumb in german!)
No, I am not.
Jens and Oliver are the men behind the Indivison AGA.

I am responsible for HighGFX.
I have no contract with Individual-Computers.
My software is for free and if there will be an A4000-Version, Jens "promised" me a sample for futher developing.
(New modes like HD720 ...)
Thats all.
Old 28 September 2008, 10:41   #397
Rixa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratte View Post
I am responsible for HighGFX.
I've been using FBlit in connection with an OS3.9 feature to keep icons in fastram. This has worked okay in PAL, but it's causing me problems with HighGFX. The screen flashes when I doubleclick on some icons. Sometimes just its just a jolt as if the board is missing one field of an interlaced image, sometimes the entire screen flashes back. If I let icons go in chipram and reboot, the issue goes away.

Its pretty much a hack in the first place so I thought I'm getting exactly what I ordered, but since you're posting here I thought I'd ask if you have any insight on the matter?
Old 28 September 2008, 11:03   #398
Ratte

Quote:
I've been using FBlit in connection with an OS3.9 feature to keep icons in fastram. This has worked okay in PAL, but it's causing me problems with HighGFX.
Please try FBlit with PAL:1280x512 and Super72:800x600 for comparison.
These modes are 35ns modes just like HighGFX:1024x768.
I think it is a problem with the limited bandwidth in 35ns screenmodes.

Last edited by Ratte; 28 September 2008 at 11:53.
Old 28 September 2008, 11:54   #399
Rixa

@Ratte,
You're right. Thanks.

But I hadn't tried SUPER72 modes in interlace before, and the Indivision seems to deinterlace them incorrectly. Are they working for everyone else? Mine look as if the fields are rendered in the wrong order. It's making graphics garbled and text hard to read. For instance the almost blank line underneath the crowded baseline of text ends up on its upper side, and similar throughout.

I also got another copy of the top of the screen in the bottom at times.
Old 28 September 2008, 12:13   #400
Ratte

Quote:
@Ratte,
You're right. Thanks.

But I hadn't tried SUPER72 modes in interlace before, and the Indivision seems to deinterlace them incorrectly. Are they working for everyone else? Mine look as if the fields are rendered in the wrong order. It's making graphics garbled and text hard to read. For instance the almost blank line underneath the crowded baseline of text ends up on its upper side, and similar throughout.

I also got another copy of the top of the screen in the bottom at times.
Save the attachment and remove the .pdf-ending.
This file is an amiga-executable selfextracting dms-diskimage.
Boot your amiga with this disk.

On this way, we can garantee, that our display and overscan settings are equal.

EDIT:
It is recommended to use borderblank-tools with the indivision.

Last edited by Ratte; 26 November 2008 at 12:35.
AdSense AdSense