English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Games images which need to be WHDified

Old 10 July 2008, 17:36   #1
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Bard's Tale II - The Destiny Knight

Hi,

I thought it was necessary to post a *firm* request for a Bard's Tale 2 whdload, at this point :

- Many of us would like to play it the same way we can play Bard's Tale I, as it seems event better. Being stuck with Tales of Destiny, which I had the chance to practice back in the days is irritating. (not blaming anyone...)

- There has been a lot of fuss over Destiny Knight having a generic installer. True, there are tutorials based on modifying the startup sequences with assigns, but I suspect them to work with antiquated wb environments.

- To be honest, I tried to mess around with Bard's Tale I whdload. Loading of the game occurs but the request "Insert D. K. character disk" kept popping up, ad nauseum. I am definitely no patcher, but I guess fixing it wouldn't be too difficult.

- I am pretty sure none of these games has a generic installer. Best I could find was a Character disk bootable with the game and characters with hacked stats.

- The game needs patching as the ADF only loads the characters with very conservative settings in WinUAE (68000 CPU)

- Still, if Retro-Nerd or Hungry Horace have not thrown to the fire their infamous unofficial whdload version, I'd gladly pick it up from them .

- Finally, gamers are welcomed to disclose precise information about the presence of a default installer in a game, when possible.

Last edited by NewDeli; 30 July 2008 at 12:11.
Old 10 July 2008, 18:54   #2
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i'm considering doing an official version since no one else seems that interested

however, i will see if i can dig out the one using the generic WHD slave for you for the time being

edit: now in the Zone

Last edited by Hungry Horace; 10 July 2008 at 19:01.
Old 10 July 2008, 19:07   #3
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

looking at it, im not entirely sure why 'traxx' never submitted any installs to whdload.de - maybe it doesnt work with the original version, or doesnt do any crc checking or anything.

seems to work ok though.
Old 10 July 2008, 19:16   #4
NewDeli
Banned

The guy quit suddenly the Amiga scene some time ago, from what I've read.
May be he was right to do so, it's so time consuming !

Thanks anyway. I'll put this glorious game to download on my web site, for preservation purposes.

A patcher is welcomed to check it, and put his name on it, or take the opportunity to patch Bard's Tale III .
Old 10 July 2008, 20:39   #5
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

You mean the Traxx Amiga EP Patches? He's posting from time to time on the cgboard. I asked him about his (generic slaves only?) installs, got no answer.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=146767&postcount=2
Old 10 July 2008, 21:15   #6
NewDeli
Banned

Look at that 'muchmore' file I don't think his Bard's Tale 2 whdload uses a generic slave. It's possible that he reused BT 1's though. Codetapper must know the whole story.

whdload dev package contains a generic install script, but it seems you won't need it if you're not planning to write your slave from A to Z.

I am uploading Bard's Tale II to my web site now.
I did a couple of minor modifications :
- Created a CharacterBackup folder to store your characters.
- Added the extra-strong guys and the saved game from The Kent Team ADF
- Added the BTCE (to edit characters)

You may get it from :http://netcomet.info ENG Download Pad
(use a download manager if you have trouble downloading it right away)

Last edited by NewDeli; 30 July 2008 at 12:16.
Old 10 July 2008, 23:44   #7
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

well, i must say after having a look, it's not the -most- generic slave as i was thinking. Such is reserved for the likes of 'Street Rod' i believe, which doesnt even feature a name on the splashscreen (i think) .... so there may be a few minor tweeks and fixes in there, you never know. nonetheless, it's clearly built on the kick13.s source featured in the dev package, but why not... it is very useful!

i can understand it, i'm doing it myself in order to learn more. perhaps working on some versions of these games might be good for me to learn from - BTII certainly interests me, although its hard to see what there would be to add.

i still cant understand why he couldnt just follow a few standards and submit them...
i'm sure a few more technically minded slave authors wouldnt mind helping out to improve them if needed - there are several who have certainly taught me a lot!
Old 11 July 2008, 01:53   #8
NewDeli
Banned

@ Hungry Horace : May be KG can tell us how hard he sought after the ability to fix games with broken slaves in his dreams.

I mostly agree with you about exercising with generic slaves, except I don't regret the demise of Traxx that much. Of course, it means less patches ahead. This said, personally, I prefer a patcher who will need six months to fulfill a request, than the one who will do it fast but without extensive testing.

I am pretty sure I can't do that cracking, disassembling and patching stuff (not even speaking about the improved features) the way they do it. Assuming you are still in the learning phase, I think the best we can offer now is help on testing those games corresponding to work-in-progress slaves.

I have good news. Bard's Tale III - Thief of Fate has a default installer !
It's not very trendy but it works, no bollocks !

I am sure Electronic Arts received tons of letters asking them for this feature, they even took the time to add a large icon to the executable.

I am telling you folks, there's (almost) nothing like Bard's Tale, as of Amiga RPGs !

Last edited by NewDeli; 30 July 2008 at 12:18.
Old 11 July 2008, 05:19   #9
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Whoever wrote that character editor is a legend, heheh :-)