English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 June 2008, 17:11   #1

This is my first post,so I hope its in the right section,and It does not breach forum rules.

I have an Amiga 500,which has been in the attic for a number of years,15 years.

The Amiga works fine,but sadly the games don't,I hate floppy's

I bought an Amiga DVD containing hundreds of Amiga Roms,it was an official release.Not something which was created by downloading Roms from the net.

Question,How can I copy these Roms onto a Floppy ?.

I used to have nearly 90 original Amiga games,but like I said these no longer work.

So If I cant use the Roms supplied on the DVD(copyright issues only),I know I can download the Rom because I own the original.

So any help is appreciated,Cheers
AdSense AdSense  
Old 24 June 2008, 17:35   #2
welcome to the board

faqs are your friends:

however, there are no official releases of dvd with games, they are all illegal. and amiga disk images (ADF) are available everywhere as abandonware (the copyrights of whom are still standing, but are not enforced as the rights owner either are uninterested or nowhere to be found)

Last edited by Marcuz; 24 June 2008 at 18:10.
Old 24 June 2008, 17:39   #3
Missile Command Champion

Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
welcome to the board
however, there are no official releases of dvd with games, they are all illegal.
Not all, but the most.
Old 24 June 2008, 18:02   #4
Graham Humphrey
And of course, they're not actually ROMs as you can write to them (ROMs on the Amiga are something else entirely)
Old 24 June 2008, 18:10   #5
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Not all, but the most.
i know, but i'm too spent today to be precise

yep there are games that are freely available from their copyrights owner, but there aren't DVD on sell by third parts that are legal, right?
Old 24 June 2008, 18:13   #6
Amibay Senior Staff
Hello Thea & welcome to EAB

ADF images are Floppy Archives which you can write to real floppies on your Amiga using ADFBlitzer, very easy to find.
ADF's can also be used with the excellent WinUAE emulator which I do suggest giving a try so you can try some of the files out. You can add your CD / DVD drive from your PC to appear under WinUAE too.

The Big problem you have is reading those ADF's on your Amiga natively in order to create the floppies using ADFBlitzer,
You need to Transfer the files over by serial (Very Slow) or somehow read the files directly using a SCSI Addon & CD Drive, again you will have to Burn CD's on your PC as I'm not sure how easy it is to get a SCSI DVD Drive these days,

The A600 /A1200 is much easier where transfer is concerned because it has an IDE interface and can take CF cards as hard disks, or even a CF card plugged into the PCMCIA port for easy file transfer, the A500 is quite limited apart from very rare addons or going down the SCSI route.

It can be done,
My advice is have a search through the EAB threads & get inspired before choosing which route you would like to go down, maybe even an A1200 & PCMCIA, who knows...

Of course we will help if you need further advice

Good Luck

Old 24 June 2008, 19:42   #7

When i 1st found winuae i wanted to move the contents from my real A1200 HD and duplicate it on my pc. I cant quite remember as it was 5 years ago lol but i (using files from a winuae site transrom etc i formatted on my pc (an amiga blue disk, intalled a pc dos reading program on my amiga (sorry my memories failing me) and put the amiga files in zip format onto the pc floppy, then transfered it to my pc.

Sorry if its a bit vague but it was a long time ago, feel free to clarify my ramblings

hope it helps
Old 24 June 2008, 19:49   #8
Global Moderator

You could also check out ppill's Hombre. Haven't tried it myself yet but it looks like it includes everthing you need to transfer ADF images from your PC to your Amiga (except the hardware of course ).
Old 27 June 2008, 21:06   #9

and many thanks for the useful information,very helpful,cheers
AdSense AdSense