English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 June 2008, 21:29   #61
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Certainly, someone who releases software without a license can't expect a cent for it.
But it can expect other people NOT DOING MONEY out of their work.
Your knowledge of law is very, very dim.

Quote:
the content of which Amigakit has bought the rights for
Proof that amigakit has bought rights for commercial distribution of CFD, FAT95
and messydos? Where?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 13 June 2008, 23:42   #62
Cammy

How do you know the price for the EasyADF kit isn't just for the adapter itself and the copyrighted EasyADF software? Amigakit probably aren't charging a single extra cent for CFD and FAT95, the price is just for their own products, but putting CFD and FAT95 on the disk would still be the only way to access the PCMCIA-CF adapter.

Would you prefer if Amigakit programmed their own versions of CFD and FAT95, and then doubled the price of their product, or continue to sell it using the perfectly usable freeware alternatives, keeping the price of the overall package down?

Then there's the possibility that Amigakit contacted the author of those programs and asked permission to include them with their product. Perhaps Torsten Jager doesn't want any money from those tiny utilities he wrote years ago, I'm sure he has another source of income and might not even feel comfortable getting paid for something now that he's been giving away for free on Aminet for years.

I hope Amigakit finds the pirates and shuts them down. And I think they deserve our support. Heck, if I had more than a cent to my name, I'd be ordering products from them, and I hope they're still around when we finish our Amiga games and need distribution.
Old 13 June 2008, 23:42   #63
Dimlow
Likes to be thought of as

Send a message via MSN to Dimlow Send a message via Yahoo to Dimlow
If you look up messydos ( a part of FAT95) in aminet and read the docs, you can see that this was once a commercial product. i expect there are copyright issues here, if selling it.

Id just like to make it clear that i do not condone piracy in anyway and i am a customer of AmigaKit. I just wanted to point out, that what AmigaKit has done by selling these freeware products along with there own products could have some relation to piracy, and before they go shouting theft maybe they should consider just what they are selling. But really, I doubt that the authors give a dam that there software is being sold.

Oh yes _ThEcRoW i bought my CF card adaptor of eBay and use CFD and FAT95. All installed and working in five minutes. Total cost 3.49.
Old 14 June 2008, 01:28   #64
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
How do you know the price for the EasyADF kit isn't just for the adapter itself and the copyrighted EasyADF software?
Still, where is the signed contract allowing distribution for that software in a commercial environment?

Being into software development, you should be more aware of licensing issues, for your own good, Cammy. I hope your games get released with a proper license. This is an important point you might want to revise now. have your demos been released with a license?

There has been some recent case in music which I could draw a parallel on, and it all comes down to licenses, not actually "whio makes money and who doesn't".

Most any freeware software is free to copy and use, and in most cases, free to distribute commercially UPON AGREEMENT FROM THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR.

If agreement has been done, all is well.

This kind of attitude of "let's defend any place that's got Amiga in the name" has driven many Amiga users to doom when trusting Amiga Inc. *spit*
I suggest and advice not to delve into this territory. We should have learned.

In no way I am questioning the benefits of having a shop like amigakit to our disposal, then again, I find a bit cheeky to complain about this.
If there's any piece of software in that pack being made by amigakit, let them shut down the sellers. If it's just a compilation of thirdparty software, what is the difference between me making a disk with all that in it and amigakit? it's alll been released for free and you all assume i can bundle it commercially with hardware.
Old 14 June 2008, 01:54   #65
Marcuz
Wurk???

this thread, on a forum that, cutting away the nostalgic geekery, thrives on piracy of software (the so called retrogaming) sounds to me as a disgrace.
but please do continue. i need a vocabulary to know how to spell hypocrisy in english.

whenever it comes to you to consider amenities, try this one:
is anybody here depository of any copyright but the guy that has started this thread?
do i care if he hypotetically speaking has - allegedly - stolen the lunch money from a comrade of him, a fact i do not know anything about? it is up to me to judge?

do i have to f*@kin' survey his ethics (of which, again i know and i can know nothing) for 2 pages and counting of this board if he just post a notice describing what's described in post number 1 (which also propose good willed solutions to his customers)?

i really do not know why this thread should stay open, as the notice has been posted and eventual pirated EasyADF software owners here know how to contact Amigakit.
Old 14 June 2008, 13:44   #66
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

Hm, this is interesting...

amigakit sells and bundles his GUIs (EasyADF/Easynet) with other third party apps and drivers without licence and now feels pis off and whines when others do the same with his software?

I don't know, judge yourself.
Old 14 June 2008, 16:09   #67
jabsy
Yeah Hup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBase View Post
amigakit sells and bundles his GUIs (EasyADF/Easynet) with other third party apps and drivers without licence and now feels pis off and whines when others do the same with his software?

I dont think amigakit gives a toss about the freeware stuff being sold by others, they seem concerned with their EasyADF software/gui, which they have invested some time and money into...

Maybe a bit like the WHDLoad guys. They develop software which can help play re-engineered versions of games which you are sposed to own, they'd be right to be peeved if someone was pirating their keyfiles.

I guess that makes me as bad as the ebay pirates, I'd have maybe 100 legit games and one legit keyfile, but I dont feel one bit of badness downloading KG's game packs for hundreds of games I'll never legitimately own...
Old 14 June 2008, 16:42   #68
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

It boils down to this.

If you like EasyADF, and you think its worth buying... buy it.

If you think there are better alternatives out there that cost nothing... use them.

Much as its possibly hypocritical of me in particular to condone piracy (oh the irony!), I also gave up commercial piracy in 1997, Amigakit is one of the few Amiga vendors left, and I see it as nothing other than self destructive for the constant criticism of them.

Enough is Enough! People have made their point as to how they stand on this, now can a mod do the decent thing and close this thread before it gets out of hand?
Old 14 June 2008, 16:58   #69
Marcuz
Wurk???

there is no plumber o global moderator around when you need one! :\
Old 14 June 2008, 17:07   #70
BippyM
Global Moderator

Guys this is really simple..

The Amiga is a dead machine but there are still people and businesses like amigakit.com who are trying to support it.

Whether EasyADF is easy, difficult, worth the money etc is not relevant. It is commercially sold and as such shouldn't be pirated.

I feel petrol in the UK is massively over-priced but I would go and do a drive-off!

Let's have respect for Amigakit.com and stop this bollox about whether it's worth it or not. Just remember if you use it then it's worth it!
AdSense AdSense